• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swamp Thing 7

23 posts in this topic

Wrightson almost always did great covers. But, I don't think this was his best on Swamp Thing. I'd lean towards #9 and a couple of others. (I don't have them scanned. )

Wait, this one might be better also. sw5.jpg[/img]

The Wrightson Swamp Things were one of my first "completed" sets. And I finished it back in the early 80's. I love those books and I should dig them out again. I think I need to purchase some of them in better shape. (Before they get skyhigh in price.)

Back in the late 70's, PBS had a show that presented the SW comic pages while someone read them. It was on in the Toledo area. That, and the DC Special Series reprints really hooked me. (In addition to the awesome art & stories. )

The Wrightson Swamp Things are addicting, Hush. If you like #7, you're bound to like most of the 1st 10 issues.

I will add that the Alan Moore 80's books did nothing for me. Maybe I couldn't get past the horrible art? Or maybe I just didn't like Moore's take on SW.

Impressive, very impressive.

Looking back, there is not a bad or throwaway cover in the set. Wrightson (and Adams) both introduced form/layout with their works of art. I've always loved the flow to Wrightson's old work. I don't think he has the touch anymore due to arthritis. But, his stuff in the 70's is still better than 95% of the art today.

I don't think he has the touch anymore due to arthritis.

I had the opportunity to meet and have dinner with him a couple of years ago. He talked a lot about how his arthritis affects his artistic ability. He thought that it actually made him a better artist because he had to take more time on any given project. He then proceeded to show off some of the work in his sketch book and it was incredible. Then he did an ink drawing for the owner of the LCS. It was a screaming ape head shot. It took him about 20 min to draw and is one of the best "quick" sketches I've ever seen. I'll be sure and take a picture of it next week and post it here.

My take on it is that his work has evolved, that it's not better or worse then his early work, just a little different, more deliberate and thought out.

The guy is a true genius. Take a look at his Frankenstein work, and then think about this for a second: He didn't use a single model for any of it. He says it all came from his imagination. Incredible.

He is right up there in the top 3 of my favourite artists. I love his covers and am trying to find high grades in as many as I can. That signed set is just amazing, you must be over the moon with them.