• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADING CONTEST : Round 17

86 posts in this topic

this is the farthest I have been off, I went 8.5. On my moniter it looks like one of the spine stresses is 1/2" long, and there is a small edge tear/ crease on back. confused-smiley-013.gif

completely agree:

Small rip in back cover keeps this book out of the 9's guys. Yet 81 of you guess 9.0+

I am at a loss.

Artboy99

Trick is: don't guess your grade, guess CGC's. confused-smiley-013.gif

DeeDee, DeeDee! I have been trying that...oh LORDy I'za been try'n that

(after using my OSGG grading fell through) but CGC is not always consistent.

On a differant note; how are the Vegas golf course looking? We played

the Paiute Wolf, and Desert Pines, beautiful courses.

DeeDee, DeeDee! I have been trying that...oh LORDy I'za been try'n that

(after using my OSGG grading fell through) but CGC is not always consistent.

I try to squint and try to picture the label... I ask myself: "what kind of label could this get away with?" insane.gif

On a differant note; how are the Vegas golf course looking? We played

the Paiute Wolf, and Desert Pines, beautiful courses.

Its the perfect time for golf right now, a little windy but the temperature is perfect cloud9.gif

I so wanna join the Tuscany Club... maybe next year 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

These grading contests are very illuminating. It's interesting that, for the most part, people here grade scans more conservatively than CGC grades books in hand.

fixed that for you, 'tober.

to my good pal Nik - easy there, buddy. settle...settle...it will all be over soon enough hail.gif

Its all good on my end, not upset or nothing but more like frustration that has been building up. shy.gif

I would like to put out a challenge to all those who seem to grade other peoples books so tough and think they have SA/ BA books that would easily grade 9.4 because of how lax CGC is on grading.

Pick 5 of your easy 9.4 books and send them in, and by all means please show us your results popcorn.gif

Totally serious, and in no way am I being sarcastic angel.gif

I'm sure if I am getting 9.2/9.4 grades on books that should be anywhere form 7.0 - 8.5 then I am pretty sure others will have no problem pulling 9.4s and better confused-smiley-013.gif

These grading contests are very illuminating. It's interesting that, for the most part, people here grade scans more conservatively than CGC grades books in hand.

Ah yes, the "grading scans is nothing like grading books in-hand" red herring. Well played. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Its all good on my end, not upset or nothing but more like frustration that has been building up. shy.gif

I would like to put out a challenge to all those who seem to grade other peoples books so tough and think they have SA/ BA books that would easily grade 9.4 because of how lax CGC is on grading.

Pick 5 of your easy 9.4 books and send them in, and by all means please show us your results popcorn.gif

I'm sure if I am getting 9.2/9.4 grades on books that should be anywhere form 7.0 - 8.5 then I am pretty sure others will have no problem pulling 9.4s and better confused-smiley-013.gif

Face it, Nik, contest newbies always do this.

I don't think I've made such a comment since, well, at least Round 3. thumbsup2.gif

For fun can you tell us who your top 3 over-graders are --- who has overgraded (by any amount) in the most rounds? Would also like to know who are the 3 most frequent under-graders are so I can watch for their Marketplace sales threads! thumbsup2.gif

For fun can you tell us who your top 3 over-graders are --- who has overgraded (by any amount) in the most rounds? Would also like to know who are the 3 most frequent under-graders are so I can watch for their Marketplace sales threads! thumbsup2.gif

insane.gif

But would you really trust undergraders grading off scans vs if it's their own book and they have it at hand to inspect? If I had to decide on my own on some books that I've bought through scans, they always grade a bit higher in my hands.

I looked at 10 9.2's before i picked 9.0 as they were immaculate and this book has spine dings. oh well should have nik bumped it.

Thats cool, show me the 10 you are talking about confused-smiley-013.gif

Ah yes, the "grading scans is nothing like grading books in-hand" red herring. Well played. 893applaud-thumb.gif

i do enjoy a good herring

i do enjoy a good herring

Only if they are pickled...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

or I am... insane.gif

insane.gif

But would you really trust undergraders grading off scans vs if it's their own book and they have it at hand to inspect? If I had to decide on my own on some books that I've bought through scans, they always grade a bit higher in my hands.

That's no problem. Just ask the seller to scan the book and then grade it from the scan. insane.gifinsane.gif