• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun 54 *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*

75 posts in this topic

Nah, we prefer to hijack threads in the marketplace forum. Much more at stake in those threads! wink.gif People's livelihood could be affected! shocked.gif

Ricky is cool with me. Don't worry, I can get away with calling him lots of things that you mere mortals can't due to your lower status! tongue.gif

Localnet,

It is almost 1:30 A.M. here. We are having fun, not talking trash about anyone, and just generally not bothering anyone at all. Thread hijacking is commonplace and is nothing personal. What happens is people get to posting back and forth, and slowly drift off topic.

The original question was answered, and so the original purpose was fulfilled some time ago. This would be a very dry place indeed if every post was 100% on topic, and all banter was banished to parts unknown on the Internet. It is generally accepted, and even encouraged to stray off topic occasionally. There is no harm done, and if you were offended, I am truly sorry. No malice was intended. Once you are here for a while I think you will come to enjoy the fun and the teasing that goes on.

There are occasions where someone will make personal attacks on someone else. For the most part I think this is the exception rather than the rule. To see what I mean, just wander over to practically any thread with Methuselah in the title, and grab a cup of coffee, or tea if you prefer, because you will be in for a long and rocky ride. You can enjoy the ride in those threads, or enjoy the ride in these threads, but I cannot tell you that you will not have another thread hijacked. It happens to us all. smile.gif

Phil

Just a thing about those restorers that are out there...I have dealt with a few of them, and seen all of their work.

1. Fantasy masterpieces: you send anything to him, it will come back painted. Every book he restores gets an (EXTENSIVE) label because he loves to color touch. I wouldnt recommend him.

2. Eclipse Paper: Does good work, but very very expensive. Had a book done by him

3. Ressurection: have only seen a few books by him, wouldnt be comfortable with him. Got an estimate from him once....didnt seem like he was too knowledgable about what needed to be done.

4. Classic Conservations: well known, good work, good prices, and I have had books done by him and they came out very nice!

5. The Restoration Lab: good luck getting a response! And she will only take a book that is Fine or better, because that is the only way they will look Near Mint. Wont touch a book less than VG with a stick. And be ready to pay all 4 limbs (may as well buy an unrestored VF for what it will cost you).

Hope it helps :-)

Ankur

And she will only take a book that is Fine or better, because that is the only way they will look Near Mint.

I've known Susan since around 1986. She will take books that are less than fine. She does not strive to make books look NM. She is very talented and conservation of the book is uppermost in her approach. Be interested in knowing how you came to your conclusions.

Howdy!

I have spoken to many collectors and dealers about Susan and her work. She does good work, I will admit that. But in the last 6 years or so buying/selling golden age comics, all of the books ive seen that Susan restored were at least a Fine before they went to her.

I know a few people who contacted her about books in Good and less, and she never got back to them. I guess it would not be cost effective in some cases, as I know she does charge quite a bit.

The most reliable and affordable restorer out there in my opinion is Matt Nelson (Classic Consercations). www.comic-restoration.com

Ankur

I guess it would not be cost effective in some cases, as I know she does charge quite a bit.

Yes, her work is expensive but she is good at it (she's also an amazing photographer and jazz singer). I can understand this part of it. She won't have you spend more restoration than the book is worth. I had her work on a DD 1 and an ASM 14(she removed an ink transfer stain and cleaned/pressed the books. Were only a VG but came back looking very nice. The same with an ASM 14 and an Iron Man 1 *(but the IM was NM with a transfer stain). This was back when restoration was very accepted.

It is fun to read some of the ads in the old Overstreets for the rash of "restorers" advertising things like "re-glossing and trimming for that MINT look!". Yeesh!

I unfortunately had a book butchered once by a restorer. This is a wihle back when I was collecting silver age. I sent an X-Men 1 to this place called "Sierra Restoration" in California. They had an ad in overstreet and sounded very good. I called them and at that time I didnt know too much about restoration.

My xmen 1 came back....it was trimmed, reglossed, incorrect color touch, new steel staples..it was a disaster. It was a Good before, and it probably wasnt worth any more after the $200 restoration job. It was probably worth less after the restoration. So if anyone is to send a book to be restored, it should be someone reputable that people have heard of and can vouch for.

Ankur

it was trimmed, reglossed, incorrect color touch, new steel staples..it was a disaster.

Yes, in the older says, especially before people like Susan and Matt had gained their reputations for actually being artists in restoration, there were a ton of hacks out there. It is too bad too. Gives restoration a bad name (no - not pushing restoration all you guys! tongue.gif Just saying there were some real hacks out there and probably still are - but now that restoration is less desireable amoung many, only the real quality folk can expect to survive.)