• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.8's ( What goes up, must come down )

87 posts in this topic

Why the *spoon* do you care? mad.gif Why is that disturbing to you? It isn't YOUR money. Seriously, what do you care what somebody else pays for a book? Is it ANY of your business? NO, and what that person does with his/her money is his/her business.

Every six months this same *spoon* comes up againandagainandagainandagain.

Buy what you like. Don't worry about what anybody else buys. The marketplace will be just fine. Capitalism works.

You make a fair point Flying Donut, it isn't my money. But it's disturbing because it sets a precedant that it's somehow ok to spend thousands more because a book is subjectively given 0.6 points higher. screwy.gif That seems ok to you... the books aren't one of a kind makepoint.gif You're right... capitalism does work but you take away the buyers with their "wants" and capitalism doesn't work very well in a market that doesn't supply "staple goods" In 1998, you would've looked at a 9.8 and 9.2 book and called it NM with no destinction of 0.2 points either way.

It's not 1998. flowerred.gif

foreheadslap.gif I'm so far behind... sorry.gif

I was just trying to elaborate that before the number grading system was created we would lump these books in the same letter graded category.

I'm glad there's better distinction now but I'll take 9.0's and even 9.4's as raw copies at the fair market price and not the label inflated price.

foreheadslap.gif I'm so far behind... sorry.gif

I was just trying to elaborate that before the number grading system was created we would lump these books in the same letter graded category.

I'm glad there's better distinction now but I'll take 9.0's and even 9.4's as raw copies at the fair market price and not the label inflated price.

Generally I agree with you and I buy cgc'ed books only for either same/cheaper price or to get them off some forum members hands. The only problem is, I don't really have access to much books aside from Mile High yeahok.gif so, I have to rely on the inet. I assume this is the case with a lot of people and after a few burns, a lot of the people are willing to pay the extra price for a peace of mind. Granted I don't always agree with CGC, I'm more in agreement with them then 99% of others.

The 9.8 craze is fine with me, it allows me to buy 9.0s, 9.4s and PLODs for much less than their uber high-grade unrestored counterparts. Sure, its nice to have books in the best condition possible, but mid-grade, high-grade (below 9.4) and raw books need lovin' too cloud9.gif

Plus, with everyone chasing the "perfect" 9.8s and higher, there's a lot less competition for lower end nm books.

Not true at all, and Chuck's original Mile High list from the 1970's is proof of that. When a book sells for under $10 in pristine condition, yeah, it doesn't matter but when you're spending hundreds or thousands of dollars, every spine stress or corner crease gets counted towards the grade, and the price.

Not true at all, and Chuck's original Mile High list from the 1970's is proof of that. When a book sells for under $10 in pristine condition, yeah, it doesn't matter but when you're spending hundreds or thousands of dollars, every spine stress or corner crease gets counted towards the grade, and the price.

I think more sellers than buyers tended to lump 9.0 (or lower) books into the "NM" category back in the day. I was always picky about the books I bought and said no to literally hundreds of nice books that I wanted because the seller overinflated the grade or didn't take things like spine stress, corner curls, or the back cover of the book into account when setting their grade/price. Plenty of kids might have paid "NM" prices for 8.5 or 9.0 books, but I don't think any dealers did.

I just wanted to comment on the crazy phenomena that I'm seeing in the market place with elitists buying 9.8 books of very common, and most often, modern books. Albeit, maybe not common in continuous high grade. But I'd guarantee there isn't a person here that could 100% grade a 9.4 from a 9.8 each and everytime. If you want a good indication of the subjective grading you don't have to look any further then Nik's grading contest.

I look at books such as Ghost Rider #1, Amazing Spider-man #300 in 9.8 going for insane prices. I bought my Amazing Spider-man #300 in 1988 for cover price and it now stands at a 9.2. I bet if I resubmitted the book, it would get a 9.6. I think a 9.8 is catching the grader on a good day and could've just as easily been given a 9.6. What I'm seeing is people also trying to dump Ghost Rider books now that the movie hype swept thru and people snapped out of the ridiculous dream and realize " holy krap... I own Ghost Rider" foreheadslap.gif He sucked in the 70's and Nick Cage has helped to make him suck again in the 21st century. So people with ASM #300, shake a leg and get sellin' now gossip.gif

The other book I saw on Pedigree's site was the ASM #121 in 9.8 with a current bid of $3,300 screwy.gif I just bought my copy raw in about 6.5-7.0 for $40.00 CDN and you know what.. it has white pages and incredible eye appeal. If you're going to drop that much cash on something... it better be one of a kind. Not a subjective one of a kind where a company decides a grade, but it should be original art because there is only so much the market will take with these crazy prices and it'll come crashing in again.

To each collector, their own. I guess I'm just happy having a "raw" book with fantastic eye appeal instead of an over inflated, label graded hyped book. This really should be a buyer dictated market as it's just "wants" and not "needs" but until people stop banking on a grade and get back to good ol' fashioned personal opinion on a book the prices will accelerate until they hit a brick wall and we find many collectors sitting around on the nicest prettiest, flattest paper around. yeahok.gif

I think I can paraphrase this post in one sentence:

"What I collect is cool, what you collect is stupid."

Why the *spoon* do you care? mad.gif Why is that disturbing to you? It isn't YOUR money. Seriously, what do you care what somebody else pays for a book? Is it ANY of your business? NO, and what that person does with his/her money is his/her business.

Every six months this same *spoon* comes up againandagainandagainandagain.

Buy what you like. Don't worry about what anybody else buys. The marketplace will be just fine. Capitalism works.

Every 6 months? Seems like every 6 days... 893blahblah.gif

The 9.8 craze is fine with me, it allows me to buy 9.0s, 9.4s and PLODs for much less than their uber high-grade unrestored counterparts. Sure, its nice to have books in the best condition possible, but mid-grade, high-grade (below 9.4) and raw books need lovin' too cloud9.gif

Plus, with everyone chasing the "perfect" 9.8s and higher, there's a lot less competition for lower end nm books.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Let 'em all pay krazy $$$ for bronze 9.8s and I'm happy to take all the nastyazz 9.6s for a fraction of the 9.8 price.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Now that was useful FFB!! and totally off the mark. I said to each their own in that paragraph. I wasn't bashing anyone's collecting tastes.. I was commenting on how prices are going crazy. Must be your ASM #121 on Doug's site... or did you ever get around to resubmitting it since you thought it should be a "10.0" poke2.gif

Now that was useful FFB!! and totally off the mark. I said to each their own in that paragraph. I wasn't bashing anyone's collecting tastes.. I was commenting on how prices are going crazy. Must be your ASM #121 on Doug's site... or did you ever get around to resubmitting it since you thought it should be a "10.0" poke2.gif

It does little good to say "to each his own" after you spend paragraphs ranting about how dumb high grade collectors are for collecting the way they do. Maybe they think you're the dumb one for spending any money on mid-grade books that are available in quantity from virtually every dealer in the world?

But the difference is, you never see the high grade collectors coming here to laugh at you about the way you collect. On the flip side of the equation, I see too many people who don't collect high grade books who feel perfectly justified to tell other people with more money how they should and should not spend it. That shows a remarkable lack of class, IMO. Just let them collect the way they want to collect, and you collect the way you want to collect. They don't rip on you, so why do you feel the need to rip on them?

And no, it's not my ASM#121. Not only am I not a 9.8 collector, I don't own a #121 and I haven't since 2005. And I don't have any books consigned to Doug, either, for that matter.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Let 'em all pay krazy $$$ for bronze 9.8s and I'm happy to take all the nastyazz 9.6s for a fraction of the 9.8 price.

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

I'll take those poopy 9.6s, no problem yay.gifacclaim.gif

Actually ASM #121's in that grade have been fetching that money for years...not sure what you're trying to say. confused-smiley-013.gif I know, I owned one.

You don't want / can't afford a home out in Malibu? Who cares? Some people are happy to live in a 2 bedroom apartment and rent for life even though they can afford more. Others have to have the best. I remember being 12 years old and trying to calculate how much money i'd need to save to own every Marvel Comic ever made in hi grade. I also agree a FFB and Donut. These threads are tiring. Hi grade has always fetched large multiples. Who gives a *spoon*. Grading has just become more standardized with the advent of the internet and CGC and the like. Next thread please....

popcorn.gif

The only meaningful thing I can add to this thread is this:

THANK GOD there are people out there paying nutso prices for 9.6s and 9.8s...because I've been able to cash in on their buying habits for years now.

Am I a high grade collector? Yes.

Do I like 9.6s and 9.8s? Sure.

Would I sell a 9.6 for crazy money and be perfectly happy with a solid 9.0 for a fraction of the price? Absolutely.

Actually ASM #121's in that grade have been fetching that money for years...not sure what you're trying to say. confused-smiley-013.gif I know, I owned one.

You don't want / can't afford a home out in Malibu? Who cares? Some people are happy to live in a 2 bedroom apartment and rent for life even though they can afford more. Others have to have the best. I remember being 12 years old and trying to calculate how much money i'd need to save to own every Marvel Comic ever made in hi grade. I also agree a FFB and Donut. These threads are tiring. Hi grade has always fetched large multiples. Who gives a *spoon*. Grading has just become more standardized with the advent of the internet and CGC and the like. Next thread please....

popcorn.gif

I agree, no bitterness or jealousy here. Hell, if i had unlimited amounts of cash, I'd buy the best known copies of the books i love too. Nothing wrong with wanting the best. Too bad only 0.1% of the world's poplulation can live like that. The rest of us have to be content with poopy 9.6s stooges.gifcloud9.gif

If you're saying that your book is currently slabbed already as a 9.2, and you think that if you resubbed it you'd get at least a 9.6 (absent any artificial improvement), then I say put your money where your mouth is. In fact, I'm happy to put my money where MY mouth is and I will offer to pay your slabbing fees for 10 separate resubs of that book. If you get a 9.6 back (again, absent any artificial improvement), you've gotten a "free" 9.6 on me. If it fails to come back as a 9.6 or better, you owe me my slabbing fees back, plus I get the #300 (in whatever grade it comes back on the 10th resub). Deal?

I appreciate the offer Tim, I thought long and hard about it but I'll save you the money. poke2.gif That's mighty generous though

I don't think you're saving Tim any money. A lot of those ASM 300s were cut with a slightly wavy top right edge. Check your copy. I had a similar experience where I submitted a couple of very nice copies that I thought were 9.6s or 9.8s guaranteed, and I've very rarely off more than .2 on my submissions either way (the two ASM300s came back 9.2 and 9.4 despite looking 9.6-9.8).

I've heard that CGC slams #300s for that particular production defect. Bizarre in the least considering all the other production defects they ignore, but that's what I've heard, and it seems to be a reasonable explanation as I've seen lots of nice 300s in lower than expected labels.

Here's an image of the ASM #300 in question before submission to CGC. I apologize I don't have a back scan. But the book came back with White Pages and the back is the same as the front. You tell me if you would be wavering on different grades. ( I know.. I know.. it's only a scan )

asm300.jpg