• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCS: my troubles continue

102 posts in this topic

Every year or so I give into temptation and buy a few slabs from ebay. I don't know why

I keep torturing myself. This time, 5 slabs, 4 9.6's and a 9.4. Three of the 5 have

moderately bad to horrible SCS. Two have the usual corner impacts. One of them

has the cover separating from the rest of the book. None of these three is even an 8.5

in reality.

The most positive thing I can say is that the two books in new-style slabs were undamaged.

I do acknowledge that CGC has done a good job with the newest slab design.

Unfortunately, all those 1st and 2nd generation slabs are still out there. My SCS rate

with these has been over 50%. Luckily these are only $40-$60 books, but it's still

depressing to have this keep happening.

I still maintain that buying slabs from ebay is tremendously risky. Most of the slabs

that arrive undamaged end up being poor examples of the grade being passed along.

I'm always floored that I don't hear more stories like this. I can't be that unlucky.

Every year or so I give into temptation and buy a few slabs from ebay. I don't know why

I keep torturing myself. This time, 5 slabs, 4 9.6's and a 9.4. Three of the 5 have

moderately bad to horrible SCS. Two have the usual corner impacts. One of them

has the cover separating from the rest of the book. None of these three is even an 8.5

in reality.

The most positive thing I can say is that the two books in new-style slabs were undamaged.

I do acknowledge that CGC has done a good job with the newest slab design.

Unfortunately, all those 1st and 2nd generation slabs are still out there. My SCS rate

with these has been over 50%. Luckily these are only $40-$60 books, but it's still

depressing to have this keep happening.

I still maintain that buying slabs from ebay is tremendously risky. Most of the slabs

that arrive undamaged end up being poor examples of the grade being passed along.

I'm always floored that I don't hear more stories like this. I can't be that unlucky.

Damn Dave, sorry to hear that sorry.gif

So one of the books the cover has detached from the staples? 893whatthe.gif

Wow, 50% 893whatthe.gif

I have yet to see it from any of my submissions so far, and its very rare when buying a slabed book through other venues.

Did you sub that Thor 193? How did it happen on that book? Im seriously considering sending it in to get pressed 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wow, 50% 893whatthe.gif

I have yet to see it from any of my submissions so far, and its very rare when buying a slabed book through other venues.

If people aren't seeing it from their own submissions, this reinforces the notion that

books that were damaged are being re-sold without disclosure of the slab damage,

of course on a non-returnable basis. I truly believe that if you inspected all the CGC

9.4-9.6 books being offered on ebay at any given time, they represent the bottom of

the barrel as far as all slabs in these grades.

Some of this might be caught by demanding detailed scans, but the whole point is that

one shouldn't have to scrutinize books that are encapsulated.

Wow, 50% 893whatthe.gif

The new inner well is very tight. I have experianced SCS with old labels or the inner wells with the top and bottom bars but they are usually purchases. It will most likely never happen with a recently slabbed book

So one of the books the cover has detached from the staples? 893whatthe.gif

Yep, I'm looking at it right now. About 1/4" of splash page visible along bottom edge

on front of slab. Cover has not so much separated, rather book forced downward

with cover staying fixed, creating

a 1/4" increase in the length of the staple hole. UGLY. Wish I had a scanner.

Diana

It depends on the book. Older books and oversized books and certain modern books depending on the amount of pages still get slabbed with the bars on the top and bottom

But these are the slabs that are prone to damage the books, why not just put all the books in the new well? confused.gif I've never seen a book in the newer well get SCS...

...of course on a non-returnable basis.

I won't buy CGC (or any other) comics from someone that doesn’t offer refunds. If others would stop doing it then these azzhats would be out of business.

Sellers that don't ofer refunds can blow me.

Diana

It depends on the book. Older books and oversized books and certain modern books depending on the amount of pages still get slabbed with the bars on the top and bottom

But these are the slabs that are prone to damage the books, why not just put all the books in the new well? confused.gif I've never seen a book in the newer well get SCS...

Maybe not.....but this doesn't look promising. 893censored-thumb.gif

001BOBIM129.jpg

Diana

Maybe not.....but this doesn't look promising. 893censored-thumb.gif

001BOBIM129.jpg

none of mine are like that, but i see your point 893scratchchin-thumb.gif