• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

Well, it's listed as a NM with a "gentle spine roll" on the original Larson List. I'd suspect CGC would give it an 8.0, plus or minus a grade.

Timely

Where can one find this "original Larson list"??? I'm very curious about some of my books that I think might be Larsons but I'm not sure.

The Larson list is too long to print, but if you have specific books I'd be happy to look them up for you.

Timely

Well, it's listed as a NM with a "gentle spine roll" on the original Larson List. I'd suspect CGC would give it an 8.0, plus or minus a grade.

Timely

Where can one find this "original Larson list"??? I'm very curious about some of my books that I think might be Larsons but I'm not sure.

The Larson list is too long to print, but if you have specific books I'd be happy to look them up for you.

Timely

Hmmm...thanks! Should I send you a PM or list them here or...? There's probably less than dozen I'm curious about. Should I post a scan or . . .? Let's say Punch #1 for example.

OK - these are the ones I'm curious about:

Exciting #1

Hyper Mystery #1

Mystery Men #1

Prize #1

Punch #1

Startling #1

Speed #1

Science #4

Hit #10

Lightning #8

A couple of these I've posted on the boards (Hyper Mystery #1, Startling #1, Speed #1). A couple others I know are Larsons because they say "Larson" or "Lamont" on them. The mystery here (to me) is, if some are NOT Larsons then there must have been a wonderful pedigree collection discovered (prior to 1976) that was never noted as such and the books have been shuffled off in many collections. I guess that wouldn't be surprising. All these books have been in my collection since 1974 or so. Any help appreciated! Thanks! smile.gif

The mystery here (to me) is, if some are NOT Larsons then there must have been a wonderful pedigree collection discovered (prior to 1976) that was never noted as such and the books have been shuffled off in many collections. I guess that wouldn't be surprising. All these books have been in my collection since 1974 or so. Any help appreciated! Thanks! smile.gif

No real mystery here, Bob. Weren't there tons of high grade GA finds during the 60s and 70s? You were a dealer pre-Edgar Church collection and had to have seen or at least heard about nice books turning up en masse, right?

The only reason pedigrees pre-dating Chuck's find (and subsequent brilliant marketing strategy) are really recognized today is due to the distinguishing marks on them. Larsons, Riellys, and Cosmic Aeroplanes are easily identifiable ....

Alan

No real mystery here, Bob. Weren't there tons of high grade GA finds during the 60s and 70s? You were a dealer pre-Edgar Church collection and had to have seen or at least heard about nice books turning up en masse, right?

The only reason pedigrees pre-dating Chuck's find (and subsequent brilliant marketing strategy) are really recognized today is due to the distinguishing marks on them. Larsons, Riellys, and Cosmic Aeroplanes are easily identifiable ....

Alan

Hi, Alan! I was never a dealer but I did scour The Buyers Guide and Rockets Blast looking for books to buy back then. You are right, there probably were high grade finds and I've just forgotten about them. I'd be curious to know how significant some of those finds were compared to the known pedigrees. I guess only the dealers/collectors who found them would know. Maybe some of the old time dealers (Rogofsky, Mitchell, etc) need to be coaxed into telling their stories. It would be interesting to me. My best finds only went back as far as EC comics (I'm not complaining). smile.gif

I actually saved all the old Buyers Guides up til about issue #800. They've been close to being dumped more than once but now they might prove useful. I'm getting curious to browse the early issues and see what I can turn up. I actually like the distinguishing marks (date stamps, names, etc) on Golden Age because they do identify collections. They are more like "beauty marks" in some cases. tongue.gif

I'd be curious to know how significant some of those finds were compared to the known pedigrees. I guess only the dealers/collectors who found them would know. Maybe some of the old time dealers (Rogofsky, Mitchell, etc) need to be coaxed into telling their stories.

Matt Nelson seems to be of the opinion that there were a number of nice, pre-Edgar Church collections that some would have called "pedigrees" if found in recent years. He's even supposedly going to be covering some of these "pre-pedigrees" in his upcoming book! Hopefully he's been able to ferret out some of these stories you're talking about.

I actually saved all the old Buyers Guides up til about issue #800. They've been close to being dumped more than once but now they might prove useful. I'm getting curious to browse the early issues and see what I can turn up.

Please share any data you may mine from these!

I actually like the distinguishing marks (date stamps, names, etc) on Golden Age because they do identify collections. They are more like "beauty marks" in some cases.

thumbsup2.gif You and me both....

Alan

OK - these are the ones I'm curious about:

Exciting #1

Hyper Mystery #1

Mystery Men #1

Prize #1

Punch #1

Startling #1

Speed #1

Science #4

Hit #10

Lightning #8

A couple of these I've posted on the boards (Hyper Mystery #1, Startling #1, Speed #1). A couple others I know are Larsons because they say "Larson" or "Lamont" on them. The mystery here (to me) is, if some are NOT Larsons then there must have been a wonderful pedigree collection discovered (prior to 1976) that was never noted as such and the books have been shuffled off in many collections. I guess that wouldn't be surprising. All these books have been in my collection since 1974 or so. Any help appreciated! Thanks! smile.gif

Here are the grades given, keep in mind all these grades should be lowered a full notch or more, meaning a NM on the list is a VF by today's standard.

Exciting #1 NM/M

Hyper Mystery #1 -not on the list

Mystery Men #1 NM

Prize #1 NM

Punch #1 -not on the list

Startling #1 F-NM (some warping front cover; waterstain 2x4 inch back cover)

Speed #1 NM (lite waterstain 1/2 inch across bottom front cover)

Science #4 VF/NM

Hit #10 NM/M

Lightning #8 NM/M

Hope that helps!

Timely

Back when Chuck started his articles in CBG about finding the Church collection, I wrote in basically saying what a wonderful, unique find it was. Maggie responded about another impressive collection that was found in Detroit by Dupchek if I'm remembering correctly. Anyone know about a "Detroit" collection? Anyway, I'll look for photos and share anything interesting I find. Probably start a new thread about it sometime after this weekend. wink.gif

Greetings, Mr. Timely! Thanks so much for the help! I'll compare those grades with what I have and see what I come up with. In the meantime, here's one I happened to have scanned. Looks NM/M to me (but who knows til it's officially graded, right)? Just checked the census - only 2 copies graded with the highest a 7.5 restored.thumbsup2.gif433413-lightning.jpg

433413-lightning.jpg.49fee421b1e7ab0923c3a0c044c3cc2d.jpg

Edited by ghoulaid

Greetings, Mr. Timely! Thanks so much for the help! I'll compare those grades with what I have and see what I come up with. In the meantime, here's one I happened to have scanned. Looks NM/M to me (but who knows til it's officially graded, right)? Just checked the census - only 2 copies graded with the highest a 7.5 restored.thumbsup2.gif433413-lightning.jpg

HOLY 893censored-thumb.gif! Can I get put in your will, Bob? stooges.gif

Alan

That's been one of my favorite covers since I got Gerber and saw it in there. It does look nice, possibly the nicest Larson I've ever seen. Want to sell it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

2 on your ask list are not on the Larson list. Do you have those and suspect them to be Larsons?

Timely