• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,422 posts in this topic

Traveling on business for a few weeks, then came back right in time for earnings season, which always clips a good 10+ days out of my life. I've been keeping up with the Golden Age threads as best I can, although I have to admit that the main board has gotten away from me. Only 7600 unread thread messages since my last peek. Thanks for asking.

Y'all will be pretty pleased with my latest round of acquisitions. Lots of rarely-seen 1930's goodies, including a couple more Church copies of Keen Detective Funnies.

Blame my wife for the lack of scans. She got me both TiVo and MLB's Extra Innings package for my birthday, and I haven't been able to leave the couch since. I get 3 hours of free time each night between my daughter's bedtime and my own, and I'm wasting it in front of Jerry Remy.

Y'all will be pretty pleased with my latest round of acquisitions. Lots of rarely-seen 1930's goodies, including a couple more Church copies of Keen Detective Funnies.

mad.gif Save some for the rest of us, whydoncha? smile.gif

Blame my wife for the lack of scans. She got me both TiVo and MLB's Extra Innings package for my birthday

Yep, that Extra Innings package is deadly ... my wife had also gotten it for me for our anniversary the past couple of years. I finally had to tell her "no more" last March. Kinda regretting it already, so I'm sure by August I'll break down and buy it again. foreheadslap.gif

Ok, I sat down at the scanner with a few comics. I'm saving my Centaurs for another thread entirely, but I've got some others that I think show off well.

I'll start with one of my favorite non-superhero Adventure covers:

Adventure%2037%20Front.jpg

Next I'll go to a very early Flessel. Although it's not a terribly attractive cover, it does refer to a story in the book, where Speed Saunders has to help track down an escaped gorilla.

The purple/yellow logo has always struck me as unusual for this era.

Detective%206%20Front.jpg

Next I'll go to a very early Flessel. Although it's not a terribly attractive cover, it does refer to a story in the book, where Speed Saunders has to help track down an escaped gorilla

I don't know. I mean, take Abe Lincoln. The guy was NOT a - how do they say in in CLUELESS? Oh yeah - Lincoln was NOT a "Baldwin". But the guy DOES manage to surpass his simple physicality.

Such is your Detective 6. I mean, come ON - it is a Detective 6. Let me make that cleaerer - A Detective Comics Number Six.

For me, ANY pre-Batman Detective is something to get chills about, nes pas? smile.gif

These books are awesome! Something raw and primitive about these

early covers that I really like. Almost got to kick off my own pre-hero

Detective collection last year with a midgrade #6 - until some high

grade WDCS came along that I had to have.

Well done, Pov, combining Abe Lincoln, Clueless, and a throwaway French phrase at the end there. That's one well-rounded liberal arts degree you must be sporting!

For my final book of the night I'll move to the year 1940, which for me is the Silver Age. Here's an early, hard-to-find Moldoff:

Flash%203%20Front.jpg

That's one well-rounded liberal arts degree you must be sporting!

Thanks but, blush.gif, I confess to never having attended college and coming THIS close to flunking out of high school. frown.gif

But STILL - it is a Detective Six dagnabbit! 27_laughing.gif

OK - I am gonna post the total of 5 - that is FIVE - books I obtained at Wondercon - I have to say the con was a bust but the Forum Folks were amazing!

So, my foray into crime:

lbaw5.jpg

Something about this cover really got to me. A Harely Yee find.

Another Harley Wondercon purchase in the Crime Realm.

Now tell me that isn't Clark Kent in the blue suit and glasses! And a sweet "pinup" on the back! Alex Raymond too - was pleased with this Harvey Comic Hits 57!

HCH57.jpg

HCH57B.jpg

Last Wondercon purchase. I have to say I didn;t get any of the Superhro GA books this time around or the other genres because, spending two days there and looking at a TON of books, I have to say the condition of a lot of the GA was really bad and the prices were really high. Anyway, I already have this title as well but how could I resist this one? Another Redbeard book.

wm7.jpg

i love that bailey cover on the weird mysteries, its a soti book too, isn't it? What issue did you have previously? They are all great books, but i really like that crime book. Nice, clean, green cover, its a cool book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

i love that bailey cover on the weird mysteries, its a soti book too, isn't it? What issue did you have previously? They are all great books, but i really like that crime book. Nice, clean, green cover, its a cool book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, the WM is a SOTI. This is the WM I already have but I think am gonna keep it! grin.gif

wm11.jpg

Anyway, I already have this title as well but how could I resist this one?

I know I couldn't. One is not enough.

Nice pickups on all 5 books.

Thanks EC. I tell you it is hard to stick to one copy of a title and I am finding myself picking up another of the same title. But hey It be fun, neh? grin.gif