• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,420 posts in this topic

Here is my recently acquired copy. I've been wanting one for a long time

worldsbest1.jpg

Bill, I think that's my old copy (though I don't recall the tape pull being colored that badly) - is the last page somewhat loose?

I bought my old copy from Dave 'The Dentist' Anderson and was not happy when I found undisclosed restoration, so I traded it away in disgust.

NYWF '39, NYWF '40, and WB 1 would make a great three book set... :cloud9:

'til it came time to sell them.

worldsbest1.jpg

Bill, I think that's my old copy (though I don't recall the tape pull being colored that badly) - is the last page somewhat loose?

I bought my old copy from Dave 'The Dentist' Anderson and was not happy when I found undisclosed restoration, so I traded it away in disgust.

Never stopped you from buying, and in some cases (to my amazement) upgrading Young Allies and Tough Sell Squad.

We buy what we love and the market be damned.

For the record I'm not a fan of NYWF '40 and don't plan to acquire one, but I do have a fondness for NYWF '39, but will only buy one if I get it cheap.

worldsbest1.jpg

The book has the opposite effect on me. When I look at it, it pleases me. No disgust at all.

Last page is secure at the staples but loose at the top and bottom. So it may well be your copy, however this one won't be going back onto the market until my heirs are selling them all, so its journey has ended.

And before Bedrock chimes in, yes Richard, some books are staying for the long haul now, as finances are nice and stable.

worldsbest1.jpg

The book has the opposite effect on me. When I look at it, it pleases me. No disgust at all.

Last page is secure at the staples but loose at the top and bottom. So it may well be your copy, however this one won't be going back onto the market until my heirs are selling them all, so its journey has ended.

And before Bedrock chimes in, yes Richard, some books are staying for the long haul now, as finances are nice and stable.

I'd be very proud to own that book. I think it looks great! Well done, Bill. :applause:

worldsbest1.jpg

Never stopped you from buying, and in some cases (to my amazement)

upgrading Young Allies and Tough Sell Squad.

For the record I'm not a fan of NYWF '40 and don't plan to acquire one, but I do have a fondness for NYWF '39, but will only buy one if I get it cheap.

have owned a single tough sell in my life, to the tune of about 450 bucks on my birthday from harley. the perfect amount to invest in that bad book. thus, my amazement at the phantom upgrade is even greater than your amazement. i've made at least a few bucks every time i've ever sold a young allies undercopy. alas, the same couldn't be said for me selling my world's fair '40--thought i did good buying so far under guide, but the next guy, unfortunately, got if for even further under guide than me. happened with about all my d.c.'s when i got out of them.

but i do appreciate you trying your best to keep up with my collection! despite my best efforts, keeping up with yours has turned out to be an impossibility for me.

worldsbest1.jpg

Never stopped you from buying, and in some cases (to my amazement)

upgrading Young Allies and Tough Sell Squad.

have owned a single tough sell in my life, to the tune of about 450 bucks on my birthday from harley. the perfect amount to invest in that bad book. thus, my amazement at the phantom upgrade is even greater than your amazement. i've made at least a few bucks every time i've ever sold a young allies undercopy. alas, the same couldn't be said for me selling my world's fair '40--thought i did good buying so far under guide, but the next guy, unfortunately, got if for even further under guide than me. happened with about all my d.c.'s when i got out of them.

but i do appreciate you trying your best to keep up with my collection! despite my best efforts, keeping up with yours has turned out to be an impossibility for me.

How could a mere mortal like me ever hope to keep up with the collection of a demigod such as yourself? Folly indeed.

As I mentioned above, oh ye of the skimming post, NYWF '40 is not on my want list and never has been.

The upgrading comment was directed at your YA, not your TSS.

You've done amazingly well buying right and selling right, no doubt about it. Almost an artform. Me on the other hand, I collect cold books. But what can I do? I love 'em

(shrug)

I can't fake love for a book that's hot, so I'm happy with my, increasingly cheaper, pursuits.

:)

Bill, don't get me wrong - I think World's Best is a very cool book. The "disgust" was recognizing at the time that yet another "Dentist" book with undisclosed resto was in my collection. :frustrated:

I've always thought the Worlds Best 1 is an iconic book and a number one of a long running series. The think I like about NY Fair 1940 is it is the first cover with Superman and Batman on it as well as a much better cover than the 1939 version. So while they don't share a story internally until Superman 76, it's still significant in my book, and similarly iconic image as the WB 1. Still 1939 gives you get a 1st appearance of Sandman which is pretty sweet but the cover is. I always hated the reference to "blond haired Sueprman, like who gives a mess.

All 3 of these tend to be heavily overpriced in Overstreet and often restored with color touch or something. And they are in plenty of supply though in reasonable demand if you can get the book VG or better unrestored. Part of the problem is they seem to be on every dealers wall, priced at guide or more, and never sold even after 10 years.

Like Bill, I like the book and priced right it's a sweet book to own and even resell. Any book you overpay for or with undisclosed restoration is always going to leave a bad taste in your mouth. Bill got the book from me for a very good price with the c.t. disclosed so I imagine he's pretty happy. The book I showed off was where I got the cover for just under $200 off ebay and had to pay Metro for a front cover missing issue of $400 which I thought was too much but hey, a nice low grade married copy of this iconic book for $600 seems pretty decent. Everything has it's priced, just not priced correctly in Overstreet.

Ed

Love the World's Best Comics.......very iconic book.

Can't remember if I posted this one before....forgive me if I have.

FightingAmerican6.jpg

that thing is so fresh it looks like a present-day reprint! a beauty.

That's awesome Bill (thumbs u

(Wanna buy any of my old ? :gossip: )

worldsbest1.jpg

here's hoping his psyche is next.

And a few recent (or fairly recent) purchases:

From the last CC auction:

excitingcomics9cgc40row-w-1.jpg

Believe it or not this is my second copy of this book:

speedcomics29cgc45ow.jpg

Thanks to Roy for this one. It is a beauty:

thrillingcomics12.jpg

And I'll finish with a couple of beaters -

Wonder Comics #9 (a real beater but it completes my run of Wonder Comics)

wondercomics9.jpg

And another beater but a book I have always wanted

brickbradford6022.jpg

This is a book few will appreciate but it is absolutely one of THE toughest books to find. To give you a feeling for how hard it is to find, I talked to Metro and they said they have only sold two copies ever.

I went to my first Pulp show this weekend; The Windy City Pulp and Paper show. Lot's of fun! This was the first thing I purchased!

scan0007-2.jpg

This is a book few will appreciate but it is absolutely one of THE toughest books to find. To give you a feeling for how hard it is to find, I talked to Metro and they said they have only sold two copies ever.

I went to my first Pulp show this weekend; The Windy City Pulp and Paper show. Lot's of fun! This was the first thing I purchased!

scan0007-2.jpg

like 'em all; and this one is really cool. congrats.