• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,445 posts in this topic

Went to an estate auction yesterday. There really was only one comic lot included, and it was nearly the last item offered. I sat there for 8 hours waiting on it to come up. There were some other books and linen backed children's books in the lot as well.

When the auction first started there were over 100 people in attendance. Near the end, there were only about 25 people left. Confidence was high that I could win the lot cheaply.

I was wrong. One other bidder in the room ran me up, then some guy on the phone bid like a man possessed.

So, I way overpaid for the two comics in the lot. But I wasn't going to lose after a 3 hour round trip drive and an 8 hour wait.

I did manage to pick up some very nice antiques cheaply for my wife, so she forgave me for overspending on the comics.

First one:

kingcomics26_zpsd8086a79.jpg

The one I went down there for. This is a book I've long wanted a copy of, and to get an original owner copy was even cooler. So, overpaying by a ton or not, I'm happy. It actually looks much nicer in hand. My scanner is brutal on white covers. The staining isn't nearly as bad as the scan suggests.

famousfunniescarnivalofcomics_zpsd469d4c4.jpg

That is really cool, Bill! :applause:

Now you just need the Funnies on Parade.

Thanks Jeff. After winning the Century of Comics the other day, Funnies on Parade is very high on my list. Then I'll chase Famous Funnies #1 and Series One # 1

had so much fun playing with the af's today, i went out and got an upgrade!

Nice!

I noticed your copy of 6 has an A stamped on it. Is that a pedigree marking of some sort like the S's on your Rockfords?

not a ped, but i've seen a few. in fact, bedrock has a high grade af with the same mark.