• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 collecting goals.....

48 posts in this topic

About 7 years ago, I went to the Motor City Con with what I considered a lot of money. ($900.00 I had saved up) My goal was Conan #1 in NM or better and X-Men #94 in NM or better.

I got the Conan and a few smaller books, but couldn't find a X-Men #94 in any better than VF or that wasn't way over-priced (and undergraded). But I did find a huge stash of very nice SA JLA's at Dale Robert's booth. On the other side, of his booth I found a beautiful GS X-Men #1 that had to at least be a 9.2 for $500.00. It was a fair price but so were buying 25 JLA books that would fill a huge hole in my #1 priority collection. It took about an hour of agonizing before I went with the JLA's.

In some regards, I regret passing up a HG GS X-Men #1 while I could afford it, but I also was pleased with filling in so much of my JLA's. (Pretty much books in the 40's to 80's.) I went with the quantity in the end, but it did bring me satisfaction in making the biggest step I ever had in completing my JLA collection. It was then I saw the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel" for that collection. I knew then that I was much closer to completing it.

893applaud-thumb.gif Good choice IMO. I think, and I am going to get slated now, that you made by far the better choice.

About 7 years ago, I went to the Motor City Con with what I considered a lot of money. ($900.00 I had saved up) My goal was Conan #1 in NM or better and X-Men #94 in NM or better.

I got the Conan and a few smaller books, but couldn't find a X-Men #94 in any better than VF or that wasn't way over-priced (and undergraded). But I did find a huge stash of very nice SA JLA's at Dale Robert's booth. On the other side, of his booth I found a beautiful GS X-Men #1 that had to at least be a 9.2 for $500.00. It was a fair price but so were buying 25 JLA books that would fill a huge hole in my #1 priority collection. It took about an hour of agonizing before I went with the JLA's.

In some regards, I regret passing up a HG GS X-Men #1 while I could afford it, but I also was pleased with filling in so much of my JLA's. (Pretty much books in the 40's to 80's.) I went with the quantity in the end, but it did bring me satisfaction in making the biggest step I ever had in completing my JLA collection. It was then I saw the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel" for that collection. I knew then that I was much closer to completing it.

893applaud-thumb.gif Good choice IMO. I think, and I am going to get slated now, that you made by far the better choice.

Have to agree, you made the right choice thumbsup2.gif

I plan on selling virtually all of of my SA books & move the funds into GA.

GA is where its at. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I am looking for reading copies of SA Joker, Riddler, Scarecrow appearances this year.

That's my whole collection. tongue.gif Since I have started looking at the fantastic books in the forums here for a while that is what I feel my whole collection is, reading copies. I have a serious case of comic envy.

I really want to finish the Tec's I need over #300 just to close that part of the run out. I still need about a dozen, including a darned frustrating 343. It's a nothing book, nothing important, but it's a black cover and I have had a hard time finding one better than Fine or that isn't ridiculously overpriced in better condition. I've grown to hate that Phantom General. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Word of advice:

Enjoy your collection for what it means to you. Don't get into the trap of comparing it to others here or you might become dissilusioned. I look at this site as a place to share my passion for the hobby with others. Along the way, I also get an "education" about the hobby that wasn't available before the Internet.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Actually, this change in moods also seems to be quite evident here on the boards. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The GA boards now appear to be quite popular as they have the second highest number of posts at almost double the count of the SA and BA boards. 893whatthe.gif I still remember a few years ago when the GA boards were at the bottom of the list.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Actually, this change in moods also seems to be quite evident here on the boards. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The GA boards now appear to be quite popular as they have the second highest number of posts at almost double the count of the SA and BA boards. 893whatthe.gif I still remember a few years ago when the GA boards were at the bottom of the list.

I think of late there has been on the balance of things, considerable talk surrounding GA. All the boy's yabbering on about pre Robin Tec's and the like. And while SA is a not a poor man's playing ground, it is considerably less expensive in most escherlon's than GA.

Basically you'll be selling a lot of SA, to get a few equivalent GA books.

My take is that there will be an upsurge in BA. There are some really nice series from that era and they seem to be picking up in buying popularity.

It may be the time to pick up some of the decentstuff from the Copper age too, there are some things in there that will become increasingly collectible.