• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

census updated as of 7/30

47 posts in this topic

Ok, I don't know if this will help...but...

cgcchart1.gif

Here's a plot of the total CGC Universal Grades for each year (blue)...

and in pink, I've plotted the most recent Universal submissions (7/17 to 7/30).

I've multiplied the most recent numbers by 50 to make them show up on this chart.

For the most part... it looks like the dips & spikes are very well mirrored.

...and yes, there are still a lot of Bronze Age books heading to CGC...

The years which seem to still have a significant number of universal submissions

(compared to the census totals) are:

1940-41

1968-70

1974-76

1979-82

...and of course, 2003.

Way cool graph! Can you focus in on the 1960-1970 timeframe? How about 1970-1980?

If only I had more stars to give... frown.gif

Here's a few new charts:

cgcchart2.gif

cgcchart3.gif

cgcchart4.gif

I've changed the behavior a bit...

For the CGC Census grand totals, I've made them "the standard" at 1.00...

so I'm showing the ratio of new universal submissions

as a number in relation to 1.00.

Years with greater than 1.00 have been submitted more often recently

than "the standard" on the census.

Years with less than 1.00 have been submitted less often recently

than "the standard" on the census.

Valiantman, I (and all of us I am sure) have ben totally blown away by your ability to parse the data to answer any statistical question we pose. So I d like to og th enext step, and ask you what, I am sure will be met with some reluctance on your part at best, and probably a polite refusal.

When I feel the need to get information from the CGC census in a way that I can really use, as opposed to just being able to see ONE book ata time as CGC allows us, and then I see how easily you do this, the first thing I usually think of is that you could charge for this service. Start an online site like some o fthe others who sell their database of CGC sales.

I know right off that 1) you are only helping out fellow collectors and dont want to be paid and 2) if you did, CGC wouldnt be so quick to give to access to their proprietary data anyway.

But we collectors see your tools that you created as being the solution to making CGCs census info available to us in a meaningful way. That is, If CGC had thought of this, or had someone inhouse with your code skills, they probably WOULD already offer these tools!

E.G. For me, I would really like to be able to get a list of a certain title (ie Spider-man), within a certain range of issues (1 - 200 say) and just a row of unrestored copies in each grade, from 9.6 down to 7.0, plus the total copies graded. ANy other combination should also be doable...and it can even be written with more variables. etc. But a simple search that mined the data and yielded a "1-page per title" printout would be my ideal. As it is, I have to tediously get each comics info one by one and copy it to another file. And theres far too much data for each issue (that just fills a computer screen mostly with zeros!) that I dont care about!

So my question is this: Youve posted the census data for us to download last time, would you be willing to discuss posting the analytical formulas you use to parse the data too? Or let us "special order" them as we would like to suse them? Many of us would be willing to pay I'm sure, but then the issues I already mentioned come into play. So plan B would be, you and Borock, et al work out a way for you to incorporate your skils into the official CGC system; or charge for it and share via royalty system with CGC.

please dont think me pushy, or naive for asking.....I only see that you are doing something I WISH I could do on my own without asking.

My guess is that CGC will be "interested" but very slow to jump worried about REALLY sharing their data, as competing companies could then use it and profit from it, just like Overstreet never made his pricing data avalable digitally (the new pdfs dont count since they are just acrobat snapshots of every printed page). SO since they are comfortable with you sharing the data and your tools with us here on these boards, perhaps that is a window for you to pursue.

Youve seen the excitement you have generated here..... Where is your thinking going with all this?

Wow... I didn't realize that my work was that valuable to you.

At any rate... I'm still offering these services for free, for more reasons than one...

and I've done some work today to make some interactive pages for you all to play.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=230561