• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Wow! Those Lou Fine pages are really something else.

I hope someday DC puts all those Lou Fine issues of CRACK and SMASH into an archive edition. Wouldnt that be something nice to have under the Christmas tree!

Bill

Hi Bill, I'd be the first one in line to buy that book! There are soooo many gorgeous strips in Smash it's not even funny. Some issues showcase: Fine, Eisner, Gustavson, Cole, Henkel, Mooney and Iger. And that's just in one issue! Just loads of talent in those pages. Later on in the run, Guardineer jumps in on The Marksman. The following does not have the best -script in the series but the visuals of Hitler make for a fascinating read -

44513-S43-M1.jpg

44514-S43-M2.jpg

44515-S43-M3.jpg

44516-S43-M4.jpg

44517-S43-M5.jpg

44518-S43-M6.jpg

44519-S43-M7.jpg

44412-USQ1-KofCPage.jpg

I love those Uncle Sam pages. :)

I'm going to have to dig out that issue to see the rest of the story.

They are great books. Go for it and enjoy reading them. Please report to us what you find interesting if you do.

The comic has the most amazing 64 pages of artwork.

According to comics.org, the artists are Will Eisner, Lou Fine, and Dan Zolnerowich. It doesn't get much better than that.

Take a look at the centerfold.

unclesamcf.jpg

Can anyone name any earlier double page spreads that appeared in a comic book story?

We're still on a Lou Fine kick. This next story should clearly explain why all the artists of that time (circa 1940 / 1941) would check what Lou was doing and would want to be fine like Fine -

44455-Smash20-R1.jpg

I'm becoming a bigger fan of Lou Fine every time you post another story.

Incredible artwork.

I love it.

There are soooo many gorgeous strips in Smash it's not even funny. Some issues showcase: Fine, Eisner, Gustavson, Cole, Henkel, Mooney and Iger. And that's just in one issue! Just loads of talent in those pages. Later on in the run, Guardineer jumps in on The Marksman.

Comics published by Quality are jam-packed full of fantastic artwork.

I'm always surprised at how little interest among collectors there is in them.

I've posted quite a few covers (mostly Police Comics) and they haved elicited zero feedback.

Another of Quality Comics great artists is Reed Crandall.

Here's an example of his work on Firebrand from Police Comics # 2 (September 1941).

police2firebrandGA.jpgpolice2firebrand2GA.jpg

From the looks of Firebrand's shirt, it looks like he and Phantasmo use the same tailor.

There are soooo many gorgeous strips in Smash it's not even funny. Some issues showcase: Fine, Eisner, Gustavson, Cole, Henkel, Mooney and Iger. And that's just in one issue! Just loads of talent in those pages. Later on in the run, Guardineer jumps in on The Marksman.

Comics published by Quality are jam-packed full of fantastic artwork.

I'm always surprised at how little interest among collectors there is in them.

I've posted quite a few covers (mostly Police Comics) and they haved elicited zero feedback.

I had no idea Fine was so prolific, I recently bought some Wonder Worlds he did...but I think you have a convert, and that Black Condor story, now I need to find out what happened when he became the Senator...Great stuff, I had no idea...I always thought those books, except for Police, which I bought for Plastic Man...were just not that exciting. Thanks for all the new insights! :cloud9:

We're still on a Lou Fine kick. This next story should clearly explain why all the artists of that time (circa 1940 / 1941) would check what Lou was doing and would want to be fine like Fine -

44455-Smash20-R1.jpg

I'm becoming a bigger fan of Lou Fine every time you post another story.

Incredible artwork.

I love it.

He is the best......

44527-raysplash.jpg.5ed1fce40d6cee5b91128a13454f0d03.jpg

I hope someday DC puts all those Lou Fine issues of CRACK and SMASH into an archive edition. Wouldnt that be something nice to have under the Christmas tree!

Bill

Hi Bill, I'd be the first one in line to buy that book! There are soooo many gorgeous strips in Smash it's not even funny. Some issues showcase: Fine, Eisner, Gustavson, Cole, Henkel, Mooney and Iger. And that's just in one issue! Just loads of talent in those pages. Later on in the run, Guardineer jumps in on The Marksman. The following does not have the best -script in the series but the visuals of Hitler make for a fascinating read -

44513-S43-M1.jpg

......and so did Crowley......

44528-smashmarksman.jpg.9f76916e21c37c87aac82916db382625.jpg

Bill

Hi Bill, I'd be the first one in line to buy that book! There are soooo many gorgeous strips in Smash it's not even funny. Some issues showcase: Fine, Eisner, Gustavson, Cole, Henkel, Mooney and Iger. And that's just in one issue! Just loads of talent in those pages. Later on in the run, Guardineer jumps in on The Marksman.

...and while we are at it, do not forget a guy named Will Eisner......jb

589a9382c5ae7_44529-smash5pg.jpg.1a11f993001be7408ac4dea11c695393.jpg

Jon,

having had the chance to sift through those Quality books, I am in even greater awe (if that's possible) of your OA collection. That Ray piece is of course such a killer. Just incredible. Do you know if Fine and Crandall alternated on the Ray or Crandall succeeded Fine?

In the meantime, I was going through more Smash books and came upon issue # 41 from March 1943. Guardineer does us the honors on The Marksman. As soon as I actually read the story (versus just looking at the art), it struck me that I'd already read that -script. Immediately I pulled my Spirit archives # 3 and sure enough, there it was: The Jewel of Death from July 20, 1941. It's the exact same story recycled about 2 years later as a Marksman -script. So here's a page by page (well, almost the Spirit is 8 pages long to The Marksman's 7) comparison of Eisner and Guardineer's approach to the story. Note that Guardineer stayed close to Eisner's interpretation throughout. I grew up loving the "clear line" so my heart favors Guardineer. What do you guys think? Enjoy -

44533-GuarEisner1.jpg.3ccba8a6769c8b364a7949b563317aaf.jpg

44534-GuarEisner2.jpg.5ed65b5c9ffa2cba49fafb7d02a3a09f.jpg

44535-GuarEisner3.jpg.4bbdb312e89520698bdf9b02224df9aa.jpg

44536-GuarEisner4.jpg.337bd7591e0079c9dc51bf0a56337780.jpg

44537-GuarEisner5.jpg.781b68b27f51e27f03277103fdd5089d.jpg

44538-GuarEisner6.jpg.4dc06a824119d2ba81183c5359893db2.jpg

44539-GuarEisner7.jpg.efdc26cc69bfaf8427791e56b169509b.jpg

44540-GuarEisner8.jpg.c452528015e451bc421a00c6fcfc8cb3.jpg