• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Love that Walt Kelly, BZ...

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

I bought this last one from a man who was a Rice University student in 1953 when Kelly was touring campuses promoting Pogo for president.

He had Kelly do this sketch, his friend got a Pogo.

They had a falling out in the early 90s and he sold his.

I never could locate his friend :pullhair:

IMG_0671.jpg

2125516395_0fd8202a21_b.jpg

The Christmas cartoon above was from Star Comics. Funny animal silliness.

BB

PS. I loved Pogo. It was exciting to see Walt's political satire back in the sixties. Santa Funnies and Christmas with Mother Goose are fun strips. Unfortunately I didn't find them until my children were teenagers.

I've always loved those two images of Veronica sunbathing under a sun lamp!

I hadn't ever seen them. Pretty risqué for Archie! Is it pure Bob Montana?

This page with Archie checking out Veronica's chest is funny too.

jackpot7_5.jpg

Thanks for posting the whole story, BZ!

Jack

I can't say enough good things about Bob Montana and his contributions to the golden age of comics. He's as responsible as anyone else I can think of, for elevating the comic book to higher level. His creation survived, along with Superman and Batman and Donald Duck and now enjoys a form of iconic status.I just wish that he could transfer to the silver screen. Maybe someday....but if I attempted it, I would do a retro version of his 40's and 50's persona and have the war in the background. It would also be an interesting excercise to break the film up into three seperate realities....the first one would portray him in the 40's...the second in the 50's and the third in the sixties. Oh well, just daydreaming here......

...I just wish that he could transfer to the silver screen. Maybe someday....but if I attempted it, I would do a retro version of his 40's and 50's persona and have the war in the background. It would also be an interesting excercise to break the film up into three seperate realities....the first one would portray him in the 40's...the second in the 50's and the third in the sixties. Oh well, just daydreaming here......

In that movie I hope you show the inside of the Abbie Zombie and Witch store.

abbiezombie.jpg

Continuing on with the theme of Christmas Stories from the Golden Age, here's an Archie story from Jackpot Comics # 7 (Fall 1942).

Bangzoom -my scans look just as good now as when I scanned them a few years ago. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them? I have verified the page layout and they are in fact my scans.

Would you like a MLJ DVD with all 219 issues scanned?

Shawn

Edited by Shield

Shield, I found those scans at goldenagecomics.co.uk which advertises itself as a "site for downloading FREE copyright free golden age comics."

If they don't have your permission to share that story, let me know.

Yeah I've contacted them a few times with no response asking them to remove the MLJ scans. I spent 5 long years scanning those.

I just checked, and I scanned Jackpot 7 on October 14, 2003. Ye,s that's my thumb in the upper right.. Here's that Archie page pre-cropped (let's see that British site come up with this):

jackpot07_59.jpg

Edited by Shield

2127152893_3c6c2078b6_b.jpg

2127166011_5c549f6365_b.jpg

So which scan can I use? The top or the bottom one. If it is Shawn's scan then it can't be used on the board. What about the copyright? Can these pages be reproduced in another publication without a problem as long as I make the scan myself? Can pictures of Archie be reproduced and sold without having a problem with Archie, Inc.? I would like more people to see these old comics on line or in reprints but I am not sure about what we have the right to reproduce and what we do not. Enlighten me please.

Bruce