• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

There goes my test-tube rack!

Jack,

Hey, that happened to me when I heated up picric acid in qualitative organic chemistry class.

But it didn't improve my eyes (fortunately wearing safety glasses).

Not an experiment that we encourage students to try. (Un?)fortunately, none of them have enough knowledge or curiosity to try it.

Glad you were wearing safety glasses!

Here is a page from JJ 6. Someone elses scan. I am too lazy to scan anymore tonight I guess.

bb

2130065848_f0dc171719_b.jpg

HAW! Carlson was great. A dozen gags in every panel.

Unusual to see the uninked red checkerboard pattern on the tablecloth.

"'Pon my sole!"

Jack

I had a few more scans available that I made earlier and I hoped someone could help me fix one of them. Lulu almost always wore a red dress but don't you think that she could have switched to green for this Christmas cover. Can someone fix that (Flee?) color arangement? Red background and Green dress perhaps??

I found a nice greeting card on the back of Bugs Bunny Christmas Parade 3. And a neat interior scan (usually requested by Jack).

Merry Christmas again.

Bruce

2130096532_cd629ceb93_b.jpg

2130096376_ea78273bc7_b.jpg

2129320679_ef08e45dfc_b.jpg

And Santa makes the names rhyme. What a guy!

I had a few more scans available that I made earlier and I hoped someone could help me fix one of them. Lulu almost always wore a red dress but don't you think that she could have switched to green for this Christmas cover. Can someone fix that (Flee?) color arangement? Red background and Green dress perhaps??

I found a nice greeting card on the back of Bugs Bunny Christmas Parade 3. And a neat interior scan (usually requested by Jack).

Merry Christmas again.

Bruce

2130096532_cd629ceb93_b.jpg

2130096376_ea78273bc7_b.jpg

2129320679_ef08e45dfc_b.jpg

And Santa makes the names rhyme. What a guy!

For that gweat interior scan, I'll take a stab at the color change.

Thanks,

Jack

49822-Luluedit2.jpg

Jack,

Thanks for changing the color scheme on the Lulu cover. It makes more sense with a green dress. I checked Gerber to see how many times she changed colors and found only one alternate yellow dress (and three or four bathing suits). It would be interesting to see her closet. Probably 14 red dresses, 1 yellow dress and 200 pairs of shoes (she is a girl after all).

2130161203_be2a452a8c_o.jpg

I think someone posted this scan last year. But they were great little comics and deserve another show.

bb

BZ,

I loved the early Comet work by Cole. I think the character could have stayed around a long time (worked in X-men). But I am happy that he worked on the Claw stories in Silver Streak and Plastic Man. Does anyone have a good quality scan of the SS7 story by Cole?

2130161421_ec17573c76_b.jpg

Cole always had a sarcastic comment to make about any season.

bb

A gas fifty times lighter than hydrogen -- HAWW!

There goes my test-tube rack!

Good stuff.

Thanks,

Jack

Not only that, but "injecting small doses of the gas into his bloodstream"...the poor guy is going to have a stroke! Maybe he just hallucinates from oxygen deprivation and thinks that he's flying. :o

This Walt Kelly story is from FC 253.

jem7.jpg

Thanks for posting more Holiday Kelly!

I'd say that from Nov 1947 to Nov 1949, Kelly's artwork visibly improved (not that there was anything wrong with the 1947 story).

Also interesting that he used Mary Contrary as a continuing character. (I know that she's from a nursery rhyme.)

Jack

BZ,

Since you are into Walt Kelly...

2142120883_78769452e5_b.jpg

I guess this was a Pogo Christmas. It doesn't snow very much in the swamp. It didn't snow in Philadelphia either.

But Archie had snow in Riverdale (thanks Shawn for the Archie scan).

2142954316_1b87d1e470_o.jpg

It is the thought that counts and I hope you had a nice Christmas. I forgot to post my oldest Christmas comic (from 1908)

bb

2142121153_8d0416f485_o.jpg

2143030346_bd5a375141_o.jpg

BZ,

I noticed my copy of Pogo was from Washington, D.C. and had a big stamp on the back. Maybe the distributor was in the habit of stamping different locations.

Maybe there is no connection since there were so many years between the Pogo and your early MLJ, DC and other stuff. Just a thought.

bb

2143030346_bd5a375141_o.jpg

BZ,

I noticed my copy of Pogo was from Washington, D.C. and had a big stamp on the back. Maybe the distributor was in the habit of stamping different locations.

Maybe there is no connection since there were so many years between the Pogo and your early MLJ, DC and other stuff. Just a thought.

bb

That's interesting.

In addition to comic books I've posted with the Campbell Bros Cigar & Stationery Store ID stamped on the back cover, I also have a group of comics from Northern Virginia with a drug store's address stamped on the front cover.

Is this sort of activity typical for every region of the US?

My curiosity about the scarcity of certain issues of Amazing Mystery Funnies was piqued after reading recent comments about the title.

I was surprised to discover how few have been submitted to CGC for grading

Here are the total numbers for each issue as listed in the census.

I thought some of you might find the low numbers interesting.

ISSUE - CENSUS COUNT

#1 - (3)

#2 - (1)

#3 - (1)

#4 - (0)

v2#1 (1)

v2#2 (0)

v2#3 (2)

v2#4 (0)

v2#5 (3)

v2#6 (1)

v2#7 (11)

v2#8 (1)

v2#9 (5)

v2#10 (4)

v2#11 (3)

v2#12 (10)

v3#1 (2)

#18 (1)

#19 (2)

#20 (4)

#21 (1)

#22 (1)

#23 (0)

#24 (2)

The series has long been one of my favorites.