• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I didn't know 100 page giants like those existed. Are they store return copies, rebound and then resold in a new format?

Sometimes - like this book, you can have different interiors with the same title:

allpictureadventures002.jpg

BZ, I have scans of the first two stories. Here's the cover story "The Sisters" by Baker. That guy could draw.

truelovepictorial0310aia5.jpg

Good sister, bad sister. :gossip:

There's going to be loads of drama when those two get together with the family at holidays. :eek:

Thanks, Doctor Svord. :applause:

Can we see the second story, too?

Dr. Svord said "BZ, I have scans of the first two stories. .... Baker. That guy could draw."

I agree

Baker was amazing but Powell knew how to draw teenage romance too.

bb

1625497679_0a53b44057_b.jpg

1633097574_9808aca507_b.jpg

2339201298_e43285ff49_b.jpg

2339192784_b637761935_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Dr. Svord said "BZ, I have scans of the first two stories. .... Baker. That guy could draw."

I agree Baker was amazing but Powell knew how to draw teenage romance too.

1625497679_0a53b44057_b.jpg

Ah, what beautiful synchronicity.

According to GCD, the artist of the Sheena story I posted earlier is...Bob Powell. :acclaim:

sheena1.jpg

Do you recognize this story?

2338359669_484cb41635_o.jpg

Is that from Jumbo #2?

Wow, you got that right first try. It is supposed to be by Powell but I don't really see much influence there. Perhaps he was imitating someone else.

bb

Here are a couple more examples of Powell's work and then I will post the rest on the Western thread, which I am glad is not dead. Should I try to scan the Sheena origin page from Jumbo 2? I think Kirby did a lot of work in those early issues too.

2338360145_efbc975e39_b.jpg

2338360273_dab081d1e3_b.jpg

Baker did those wonderful covers for Teenage Romance and Authentic Police Cases. Most of Powell's romance stuff ended up in Harvey titles. His horror stories were also terrific. And his westerns were pretty good.

Those St. John Giant editions were great but probably all remainders. I used to have the Giant Romance and I still have one of the giant Authentic Police cases. I think the three hundred plus page edition of Mightly Mouse was all remainders too. It didn't have much of a cover.

Powell also did nice work for those old Spirit Sections as seen below.

bb

2338367749_b871407963_o.jpg

Those St. John Giant editions were great but probably all remainders. I used to have the Giant Romance and I still have one of the giant Authentic Police cases. I think the three hundred plus page edition of Mightly Mouse was all remainders too.

I have to admit when I was a kid, I wasn't fond of Powell's artwork. But I like the GA work that has been posted today. I guess my taste in artist's styles has changed.

I wish I owned a few of those St. John Giant editions. They sound terrific: 100 pages...300 pages! :o

Wow!

Thanks BZ for the Sheena!

And thanks BB-Gun for all the Powell!

Absolutely, Powell is great! Still working on my Cave Girl collection. Two more issues to go.

Here's the first story from True Love Pictorial 3. The art looks familiar. Anyone recognize the work?

truelovepictorial0303aoz6.th.jpg

truelovepictorial0304ars5.th.jpg

truelovepictorial0305azu2.th.jpg

truelovepictorial0306alb3.th.jpg

truelovepictorial0307akp8.th.jpg

truelovepictorial0308awg8.th.jpg

truelovepictorial0309ajd5.th.jpg

Those St. John Giant editions were great but probably all remainders. I used to have the Giant Romance and I still have one of the giant Authentic Police cases. I think the three hundred plus page edition of Mightly Mouse was all remainders too.

I have to admit when I was a kid, I wasn't fond of Powell's artwork. But I like the GA work that has been posted today. I guess my taste in artists styles has changed.

I wish I owned a few of those St. John Giant editions. They sound terrific: 100 pages...300 pages! :o

BZ,

I don't think that I will convert anyone into a Mighty Mouse fan but I like the old stories.

They are kind of silly in a Rocky and Bullwinkle sort of way. It is a little difficult to get the 384 page edition on the scanner but my copy is a little beat up and I can flatten it a little.

bb

2338560167_27de502483_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun