• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Jack,

The anti-smoking story was from Animal 22 that was recently made available to me as scans by someone else.

I wasn't thinking of Animal Comics -- of course a story that early was more likely from Animal (I have few of) than Pogo Possum (I have all of).
It seemed related to the two smoking comments that appeared on the thread. I think TBH fixed the dialogue from the thread so that the quotes made more since. I skipped 4 or 5 pages from the middle of the story. Pogo wouldn't play a trick on Albert like that without a reason (most of the story was about how they convinced him to wear the dress and not stealing the cigars) but I just kept the relevant to the thread portion.
Right -- Pogo was always an innocent in these stories!
All of those stories are pretty good so pick some up if you get a chance. There is also a terrific fish story in one of the later issues of Animal comics. I also have many of the Pogo issues including the giant.
I think the whole Animal run was in the Eclipse reprint series, right? I have those (somewhere).
My best recollections of Kelly were from election time and the sixties. His LBJ character was hilarious. I think Overstreet mentions that the stories in Animal are by Kelly but art is by Dan Noonan. I didn't check the GCD to see if this is correct. There is another story in Animal 9 where Albert smokes a window shade. Refined taste.

bb

2757929475_8a2a1f4cbd_b.jpg

Yes, Pogo was a force in the 50s and 60s. LBJ with his horns caught and couldn't get them out, Joe McCarthy caricature, Spiro Agnew... Kelly was brilliant!Jack

I only have part of this cover but I always thought it was gruesome.

2761127836_4b88941beb_o.jpg

2760283939_19336e7f35_b.jpg

Perhaps they were politically incorrect here but the Vale Crab seems pretty hideous too.

Back cover looks pretty good and Senorita Rio's back is only partially covered.

2761128460_fd8d425e9b_b.jpg

Here is another Circus Comic for BZ. Micky Dolenz is on the cover riding an elephant which he probably didn't do as a Monkee.

The story features characters from the TV show that were played by Robert Lowery (Batman) and Noah Berry Jr. (Rocky).

Noah was a great character actor. I enjoyed his work in Red River, Sgt. York and the Rockford Files.

The series also featured Guinn Williams and Billy Barty.

bb

2764862586_c1cbdbd6cf_b.jpg

As BZ mentioned before, Mandrake by Phil Davis was very impressive. This page from King comics depicts Mandrake's version of travel in outer space. I would think that you would have to approach the speed of light to see yourself coming back. If I remember correctly the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second. They were still going too slow if you assume their speedometer was correct. Pretty good speedometer too. My Honda has a digital read out but I don't think it goes up to a million miles per hour.

bb

2765764892_87a524da3c_b.jpg

Hi BZ,

Here are another couple of pulp/comic comparisions:

allstar31.jpg

All Star #3 - Winter 1940/41

TheLoneTigerStrasser-1.jpg

The Shadow - "The Lone Tiger" Feb. 15, 1939

MoreFun651.jpg

More Fun #65 - March 1941

Plot_master2-2.jpg

The Shadow - "The Plot Master" - Feb. 1, 1935

Edited by detective35DF

2765788118_e63ac069c7_o.jpg

Rick knew how to travel.

bb

:acclaim:(That's where my avatar comes from, though not that particular story ;) )

Didn't know where else to post this. I picked this up this after-noon.

From a quick search online, Eugene made it out alive. According to a brief entry on Ancestry.com, Eugene Lewis Kratzke was born on June 13, 1925 in Milwaukee and died out in the state of Washington on October 22, 1997. The Voice Letter was recorded on April 11, 1943 when he was 18, shy of 19.

I listened to the record this pm. Eugene talks mostly about his experience visiting and discovering Boston. Of interest are his recounting his learning out to dance at the USO Club and hoping to be able to dance with Lorraine (such a popular name at the time) before he ships out which he guesses will be late July or early August. He also mentions seeing the Lexington out at sea during exercises and commenting how beautiful she is. Of course, this is a new Lexington since the prior USS Lexington was sank during the Coral Sea Battle.

If Eugene stayed stationed on the USS Bunker Hill, he must have had interesting experiences since the ship was quite active in the Pacific. I'll refer you to the Wikipedia for that bit of history - USS Bunker Hill (CV-17)

64182.jpg.10d3c243f7c5eb74679591171762001a.jpg

I picked this up this after-noon.From a quick search online, Eugene made it out alive. According to a brief entry on Ancestry.com, Eugene Lewis Kratzke was born on June 13, 1925 in Milwaukee and died out in the state of Washington on October 22, 1997. The Voice Letter was recorded on April 11, 1943 when he was 18, shy of 19 64182.jpg

Interesting item, Scrooge.

I especially liked the biographical info you learned online.

I enjoy doing research like that too.

I like the root beer colored background of this cover.

Planet17GA.jpg

So that is what that book is supposed to look like doh!Nice copy BZ. I saw a beater copy of it today at my LCS. They were asking $250 for it, and it was very washed out.

In the June 1938 Thrilling Wonder Stories, I found a listing from a reader who has comic books for trade.

I wonder if any are still available? hm

Note that TWS states that no swaps of magazines are allowed because "back numbers of magazines are known disease carriers."

I learned from a quick Google search that Norman Goring is listed in the 1938 Fredericksburg City Directory. His parents (?) are listed as shoe workers.

swapcolumn.jpg