• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

BZ

It's great that soooooo many Warner cartoons have made it onto the internet. It took years to track down many of those obscure titles back in the day.

S

I'm still astounded you were able to achieve such a seemingly impossible goal. :applause:

Lately I've been watching the Warner Bros cartoons I got for Christmas and Fleischer Studio produced Popeye cartoons (4-disc set:1933-1938) which I borrowed from Netflix.

Great stuff.

The Sniffles cartoon is really classy but what happened to Mary Jane?

Frankenstein's cat is also a terrific cartoon. When did Mighty Mouse change from blue and red to red and yellow?

And that first cartoon with Frankenstein hitting the fan was fun.

bb

And Betty Boop with her friends was good but the monster looked more like King Kong than Frankenwhatzit.

BZ

There was a network of crazy people like myself across the country taping any and all cartoon shorts. We would trade them like baseball cards. It was fun back in the day but now I would much rather purchase them off Amazon and have them delivered to my door!!

The toughest were the 1930s Bosko's and Buddy's as well as the late 1960's Road Runners and Speedy Gonzalez. For the 1930's I ended up buying a bunch of 16mm films and transferring them to VHS. For the late 1960's drek I had a source out in the midwest whose local television station showed them in the wee hours of the morning (must have used them as a poor man's sleeping pill; many of those are soooo unwatchable)

From Wikepedia:

Ned L. Pines (1906–1990) was a New York publisher. He died in Paris, and lived in Paris, Manhattan and East Hampton (Long Island).

He was president and owner of Pines Publications, which he established in 1928 and remained as president until 1961. Pines published pulp magazines and others under a variety of company names (Better, Standard, Thrilling) from 1936-55. Most collectors refer to the pulp magazines as Thrilling Publications.

From 1939 to 56, the company published comic books under a variety of names, most collectors refer to them as Nedor Comics. With the cover date of May 1949, the comics used the emblem "Standard Comics", switching with the cover date of March 1956 to Pines Comics, which lasted until 1959.

He established paperback book publisher Popular Library in 1942, which used a pine tree as a logo. After the demise of the pulps and comics, this was the main focus of Pines. Popular Library existed until the 1970s, when it merged with Fawcett.

New York Times Obituary: Link

Great pulps BZ. It is a great week for staying inside if you are in the Northeast or Midwest.

Or perhaps you would enjoy one of these ice cycles. Looks like a Harley with a suicide shifter.

How safe is that and even worse for the guy being drug along.

bb

3193354610_7e88ef2f78_b.jpg

I am not sure where I found that scan.