• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I love those fantasy readers, I have been wanting to get them myself. The one cover was used on an issue of Avon's eerie comic as well, except the weird alien thing with the weird crotch is riding a black cat.

:sick:

I love those fantasy readers, I have been wanting to get them myself. The one cover was used on an issue of Avon's eerie comic as well, except the weird alien thing with the weird crotch is riding a black cat.

My understanding of weird alien thing crotch anatomy is poor enough that I wasn't sure whether it was part of the alien or the dragon. Whichever way, it doesn't look very polite.

Jack

certainly not part of MY fantasy

My understanding of weird alien thing crotch anatomy is poor enough that I wasn't sure whether it was part of the alien or the dragon. Whichever way, it doesn't look very polite.

Jack

This one is a little easier for a scientist to relate too. No alien anatomy either.

3341563859_963af1b7a7_o.jpg

Jack

This one is a little easier for a scientist to relate too. No alien anatomy either.

Just another day in the lab.

Jack, inventor of the neon bikini

"Dammit, Jim, I'm a chemist, not a weird alien thing crotch biologist!"

Jack

lol

Well, unless it's part of the black cat on Eerie#10 as well, then it must be crotch.

Edited by shiverbones

Jack

great cover! How many issues did it run?

Jack

Just another day in the lab.

Jack, inventor of the neon bikini

"Dammit, Jim, I'm a chemist, not a weird alien thing crotch biologist!"

:roflmao:

BZ, you collection is truly amazing. I was just told about this thread last week and have only made it through to page 183. Thank you for letting us into your life of comics. Not only have you shown us your wonderful collection but have taken the time to gives us history of your purchases.

You are like the Buffett of comics. I don't know if I will ever complete this thread but am quoting this little slideshow for newcomers like myself.

Thanks for the links.

It seems that the answer to the question asked is that it is a reprint of a Gottfredson sequence that ran from September to December 1930. (thumbs u

I should have looked at INDUCKS right away, Anyway who has not explored that site should take a look.

I knew it had to be Gottfredson from the look of the strip. We won't be seeing these reprinted anytime soon!

Thanks to BustedFlush for the research.

I knew it had to be Gottfredson from the look of the strip. We won't be seeing these reprinted anytime soon!

I am sure you are aware that there are some bootleg reprints of those Gottfredson early MMs. I can't recall what year range they cover but they are out there. In fact, I believe that there were 2 series semi-related that reprinted those strips.

I am sure you are aware that there are some bootleg reprints of those Gottfredson early MMs. I can't recall what year range they cover but they are out there. In fact, I believe that there were 2 series semi-related that reprinted those strips.

These?

The Uncensored Mouse Apr-89 Eternity Comics, recalled 1930s Floyd Gottfredson Mickey Mouse

The Uncensored Mouse 2 Apr-89

Jack

Nope I was thinking of the German reprints discussed in the last paragraph below.

What's more in the article below, we have a discussion of the sequence 40YrsCollecting posted. The passage below is excerpted from Mickey Tries to Commit Suicide:

"In 1930, the Mickey Mouse comic strip appeared. Originally written by Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks, it was immediately successful for King Features Syndicate. However, several weeks into the strip, Ub Iwerks left and the illustration chores were turned over to Disney artist Win Smith, who had been inking Iwerks' penciled artwork.

The comic strip was a gag-a-day format and King Features decided it wanted more of a story continuity strip because story continuities were proving extremely popular at the time, and increasing readership who wanted to know what happened next to the character.

Walt didn't have time to handle his expanding studio and all the things he was experimenting with in animation and handle the writing of the strip, so he tried to bully Win Smith into taking over the writing as well as the illustrating. Smith, for reasons still unclear to this day, balked at taking on the writing responsibilities, and quit.

Newly hired Disney artist Floyd Gottfredson, who had always wanted a career as a newspaper cartoonist, took over the strip—with his first episode appearing in May 5, 1930. Walt continued to write the continuity for another two weeks before having Floyd take over completely and finish the story of Mickey Mouse in Death Valley looking for treasure.

The next continuity story, "Mr. Slicker and the Egg Robbers," was written entirely by Gottfredson himself except for some unusual input from Walt himself. "Mr. Slicker and the Egg Robbers" began appearing in newspapers on September 22, 1930 and would run until December 29.

Although Walt was very busy with his studio responsibilities and was happy with the work of Gottfredson (except for Walt's continual complaints that Gottfredson needed to simplify the backgrounds), Walt called the artist into his office to discuss a storyline he would like to see in the latest continuity.

Floyd Gottfredson discussed this meeting in a November 1975 interview with Disney Archivist Dave Smith:

"He would make suggestions every once in a while, for some short continuities and so on, and I would do them. One that I'll never forget, and which I still don't understand was when he said, 'Why don't you do a continuity of Mickey trying to commit suicide?' So I said, 'Walt! You're kidding!' He replied, 'No, I'm not kidding. I think you could get a lot of funny stuff out of that.' I said, 'Gee whiz, Walt. I don't know. What do you think the Syndicate will think of it? What do you think the editors will think? And the readers?' He said, 'I think it will be funny. Go ahead and do it.' So I did, oh, maybe ten days of Mickey trying to commit suicide—jumping off bridges, trying to hang himself... I don't remember all the details. But strangely enough, the Syndicate didn't object. We didn't hear anything from the editors, and Walt said, 'See? It was funny. I told you it would be.' So there were a few things like that."

The suicide episodes appear roughly from October 8 through October 24, 1930. In the story, Mr. Slicker looks remarkably like Mortimer Mouse and with the same attitude of arrogance and sneakiness. He takes a fancy to Minnie Mouse. Minnie only sees his supposed gentleman manners and his fine words. Mickey finds himself continually upstaged by Mr. Slicker and shoved further and further into the background.

One evening, Minnie has invited Mr. Slicker over to her house and shows him the family photo album ("Here is my grandpa, Marshall Mouse—and that's my grandmother Matilda Mouse—This group down here is Uncle Milton Mouse and his family!"). Mr. Slicker's long rat-like nose is very close to Minnie's. When Mickey, who has been worrying that Minnie will fall for Slicker's big city ways and dump him, stops by to see Minnie, the silhouette on the window shade looks like Slicker and Minnie are kissing!

A despondent Mickey returns home and moans: "Oh, what's the use? She doesn't care for me anymore—what is there to live for? Without Minnie, I might as well end it all!" Mickey reaches for the rifle on his wall and takes it down.

The next day, the reader sees that Mickey has rigged the rifle on two chairs with a rope so that when he pulls on the rope, he will be shot in the back of the head. Fortunately, the cuckoo clock goes off and Mickey realizes he is cuckoo for trying to end it all that way. The next day, he jumps off a high bridge but lands instead on a small boat that had been tugging underneath. The ship's captain decides to throw Mickey overboard but the plucky mouse pleads: "Please don't! I can't swim! I might drown!"

The next day, Mickey turns on the gas in his house and lies down on his bed to drift into endless sleep. "Goodbye, Minnie! Goodbye, cruel world!" However, while his eyes are closed, a squirrel scampers in to use the escaping gas to fill his balloon. The balloon explodes, waking Mickey, who thinks he has been shot. The next day, Mickey with a huge anvil around his neck goes to the river bank where he asks a nearby fish "How's the water today?" When he gets the response: "Br-r-r! Cold as the dickens!?, Mickey decides to try again the next day and tosses the anvil in the river.

Finally, Mickey tosses a noose over a tree branch in order to hang himself but before he can do so, he is surrounded by happy playful squirrels and Mickey says: "I guess you think I'm crazy—Well, I must've been to think of hanging myself! When I look into your smiling faces, I feel ashamed! It isn't such a bad old world after all! It took a squirrel to prove what a nut I was!" So Mickey uses the rope to make a swing.

It was obvious that in the era before television and videotape recorders that Walt felt that audiences wouldn't remember a 10-year-old film by Harold Lloyd with gags about committing suicide and that being the same type of personality as Lloyd, Mickey would be a good character to try and re-create that humor.

The early Mickey Mouse comic strips were very much a product of their time and certainly don't reflect the political correctness of today's famous corporate icon. One panel in an early Mickey Mouse newspaper strip shows Mickey discovering a room full of cheese and proclaiming in words written by Walt Disney: "Oh boy, what cheese! If only I had a bottle of beer..."

However, it would be nice if Disney would consider a limited edition reprinting of the early Mickey Mouse comic strips for adult collectors. The early adventures of Mickey Mouse in animation and the comic strip truly reflect Walt's Mouse and why audiences fell in love with the character.

In the mid-'70s, a German comic book club got special permission to reprint several volumes entitled The Complete Daily Strip Adventures of Mickey Mouse (1930-1955). Each volume covered one year's worth of daily strip art. Disney granted permission since the volumes were only meant for the club members and the total print run was limited to no more than 500 copies."