• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

That is the issue but I think my copy is in better shape.

Some of the Click issues that I have are a little fragile but this one should survive a little longer.

I still haven't identified the Four Color issue that has the origin of the Jeep story.

2234724838_b2b234579d_b.jpg

Strip is August 9, 1936

Four Color Series 1 #25 reprints Thimble Theatre 1935 - 1937, so it's almost certainly in there. It's not in any of the series 2 books, as far as I know.

JPS

That is the issue but I think my copy is in better shape.

Some of the Click issues that I have are a little fragile but this one should survive a little longer.

I still haven't identified the Four Color issue that has the origin of the Jeep story.

2234724838_b2b234579d_b.jpg

Strip is August 9, 1936

Four Color Series 1 #25 reprints Thimble Theatre 1935 - 1937, so it's almost certainly in there. It's not in any of the series 2 books, as far as I know.

JPS

I think you are right about the issue number but I would like a confirmation.

1936 would make it a Segar original wouldn't it or did BZ do some earlier ghosting?

To answer my own question, Segar was ill for a couple of years before his death and was ghosted by Doc Winner in 1937 and 1938.

This was before BZ. I suspect Doc had a hand in helping at early times too, but the Jeep should be a creation of Segar.

Any other thoughts?

bb

Reference

Popeye by Fred Grandinetti

2236224827_3b1de355df_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

That same illo of Eugene the Jeep was used in the 1937 book, Popeye and His Jungle Pet.

Nice catch! That lends credence to a theory my friend and I had.. that someone in an art department may have been asked to enlarge the original Jeep image for use in another book or an advertisement. I doubt that it was Sagendorf though. Why would he sign something that was a blatant rip-off when he was perfectly capable of drawing the Jeep from scratch?

To answer my own question, Segar was ill for a couple of years before his death and was ghosted by Doc Winner in 1937 and 1938.

This was before BZ. I suspect Doc had a hand in helping at early times too, but the Jeep should be a creation of Segar.

Reference

Popeye by Fred Grandinetti

I wasn't familiar with Grandinetti's book so I did a search.

You can see a preview of it on Google Books: Link

51S9EC0WMAL._SS500_.jpg

P.S. In case anyone was wondering: When BB referred to "BZ" he meant Popeye artist Bela Zaboly, not me. lol

The jeep is one of the most perfect creations ever.

Is he more perfect than a Shmoo? :baiting:

shmoo1ga.jpg

From Wikipedia:

They reproduce asexually and are very prolific. They require no sustenance other than air.

Naturally gentle, they require minimal care, and are ideal playmates for young children.

Shmoos are delicious to eat, and are eager to be eaten. If a human looks at one hungrily, it will happily immolate itself, either by jumping into a frying pan, after which they taste like chicken, or into a broiling pan, after which they taste like steak. When roasted they taste like pork, and when baked they taste like catfish. (Raw, they taste like oysters on the half-shell.)

They also produce eggs (neatly packaged), milk (bottled grade-A), and butter — no churning required. Their pelts make perfect bootleather or house timber, depending on how thick you slice it.

They have no bones, so there's absolutely no waste. Their eyes make the best suspender buttons, and their whiskers make perfect toothpicks. In short, they are simply the perfect ideal of a subsistence agricultural herd animal.

The frolicking of shmoon is so entertaining (such as their staged "shmoosical comedies") that people no longer feel the need to watch television or go to the movies.

Shmoo Link

The jeep is one of the most perfect creations ever.

Is he more perfect than a Shmoo? :baiting:

shmoo1ga.jpg

From Wikipedia:

They reproduce asexually and are very prolific. They require no sustenance other than air.

Naturally gentle, they require minimal care, and are ideal playmates for young children.

Shmoos are delicious to eat, and are eager to be eaten. If a human looks at one hungrily, it will happily immolate itself, either by jumping into a frying pan, after which they taste like chicken, or into a broiling pan, after which they taste like steak. When roasted they taste like pork, and when baked they taste like catfish. (Raw, they taste like oysters on the half-shell.)

They also produce eggs (neatly packaged), milk (bottled grade-A), and butter — no churning required. Their pelts make perfect bootleather or house timber, depending on how thick you slice it.

They have no bones, so there's absolutely no waste. Their eyes make the best suspender buttons, and their whiskers make perfect toothpicks. In short, they are simply the perfect ideal of a subsistence agricultural herd animal.

The frolicking of shmoon is so entertaining (such as their staged "shmoosical comedies") that people no longer feel the need to watch television or go to the movies.

Shmoo Link

To heck with alpacas, I'm gonna raise schmoos. I had no idea they were so perfect.