• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

particular great sequence Wilma kidnapped by Tiger Men from Mars 1929-1930 from 1968 Aprill reprint

img379.jpg

Very cool, Pat.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the current Hermes reprint series?

I know there are a handful of volumes out for the dailies, and also one volume of Sunday strips (would love to see an interior shot on how they handled the color transfers).

below is 1987 Gryphon edition reprinting the 2 yarns from April and Aug 1939 Strange Stories.

img376.jpg

Strange Stories 1939-1940

strangestories.jpg

I remember when I first discovered the pulps, I saw Kuttner's name credited so frequently on covers that I assumed he must have lived a long life to have produced so much work. I was surprised to learn later that he had died at the young age of 42.

Despite his short life he made quite an impression on many other young authors.

From Wikipedia :

Marion Zimmer Bradley is among many authors who have cited Kuttner as an influence. Her novel The Bloody Sun is dedicated to him. Roger Zelazny has talked about the influence of The Dark World on his Amber series.

Kuttner's friend Richard Matheson dedicated his 1954 novel I Am Legend to Kuttner, with thanks for his help and encouragement. Ray Bradbury likewise dedicated Dark Carnival, his first book, to him, calling him one of his hardest-working and most patient teachers; Bradbury has said that Kuttner actually wrote the last 300 words of Bradbury's first horror story, "The Candle" (Weird Tales, November 1942). Bradbury has referred to Kuttner as a neglected master and a "pomegranate writer: popping with seeds — full of ideas".

William S. Burroughs's novel The Ticket That Exploded contains direct quotes from Kuttner regarding the "Happy Cloak" parasitic pleasure monster from the Venusian seas.

Speaking of Weird Tales, I just picked up a couple of the earlier, tough-to-find issues.

This is the July 1925 issue and contains "Spear and Fang," a cave-man story which happens to be the first published work by a young 19-year old Robert E. Howard.

WeirdTales1925-07fcsm.jpg

Congratulations, Jeff. :applause:

I think some of those pulps from the 1920's are the most fun to acquire. They really transport you back to a different time.

2679776558_0b93772370_b.jpg

not mine

I love that map. :applause:

I think it would be fun to collect maps associated with different fictional characters.

This Little Orphan Annie map of Simmons Corners is one of the few I own.

map.jpg

I love both of these maps... and although I'm a sci fi guy, the rendering on the Annie map is just a beautiful piece of illustration work. Really great colors on that one.

4794570656_330836bd06_z.jpg

I love the early Buck Rogers comic strip. :applause:

It set the stage for so many popular cultural phenomenas that followed.

Not to mention all the fantastic collectibles that were produced...

buck.jpg

buck1.jpg

buck3.jpg

Yes sir, I agree. Great toys and pop up books. None of them mine. Thanks to all of the Flickr posters.

5466774022_78b24c38b4_z.jpg

5466176507_c372f1438b_z.jpg

5466176669_894eefb992_z.jpg

I do have a few BLB that I can post and two copies of the Big Big Book.

1834541705_b88adbccc9_z.jpg

and this ad from the BB-gun handbook.

2203261533_272735e1a2_z.jpg

There are a few select Weird Tales cover artists that seem to get all the attention.

Fans are forever singing the praises about Margaret Brundage...

weirdtales1932_09.jpg

Weird Tales (September 1932)

weirdtales1933_03.jpg

Weird Tales (March 1933)

weirdtales1933_07.jpg

Weird Tales (July 1933)

2679776558_0b93772370_b.jpg

not mine

I love that map. :applause:

I think it would be fun to collect maps associated with different fictional characters.

This Little Orphan Annie map of Simmons Corners is one of the few I own.

map.jpg

I love both of these maps... and although I'm a sci fi guy, the rendering on the Annie map is just a beautiful piece of illustration work. Really great colors on that one.

Without a doubt. (worship)

The burst pattern at the center of the Buck Rogers map is a mind-numbingly insane amount of work just to achieve an effect.

There's always some thing jaw-dropping in this thread. Dang.