• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Thnx primarily to this thread, I am looking forward to the 32nd Annual Los Angeles Vintage Paperback Collectors Show next month (info below).

RyanH and I attended a few years ago, and had a great time - there were ample pulps and some original art (I obtained a great Fiction House/Cowgirl Romances splash page).

Frederik Pohl was there too, though he was apparently unable to attend last year, and is not on the guest list this year. Ray Bradbuy had attended in prior years, too.

Link: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.la-vintage-paperback-show.com%2F&ei=6nBpTfjIL5G0sAPGzM2mBA&usg=AFQjCNEJtbBdYwKJAJRQLAGgFloIdvEBZw

Dealers selling Vintage Paperbacks, Digests, Pulp Fiction,

Magazines & Original Art! Sunday March 27, 2011 9AM - 5:30PM

40+ authors and illustrators will sign your books for free!

Guests appear subject to their availability.

Karen Anderson 10-11am

Victor Banis 2-3pm

Ann Bannon 10-11am

Brett Battles 10-11am

Peter Beagle 11-1pm

Gary Brandner 2-3pm

Joyce Rebeta-Burditt 11-12pm

Stuart Byrne 1-2pm

Louis Charbonneau 2-3pm

Arthur Byron Cover 12-1pm

John DeChancie 10-11am

L.J. Dopp 11-12pm

Dennis Etchison 1-2pm

Fred Evans 12-1pm

Laura Freas 1-2pm

Bill George 12-1pm

David Gerrold 11-12pm

Mel Gilden 11-12pm

James C. Glass 10-11am

Tony Gleeson 10-11am

Donald Glut 12-1pm

Cody Goodfellow 10-11am

Brett Halsey 1-2pm

Barbara Hambly 10-11am

Denise Hamilton 2-3pm

Odie Hawkins 1-2pm

George Clayton Johnson 11-12pm

Earl Kemp 12-1pm

Bruce Kimmel 11-12pm

Dani & Eytan Kollin 2-3pm

Michael Kurland 12-1pm

Terrill Lankford 2-3pm

Gary Lovisi all day

Richard Lupoff 12-1pm

Richard Christian Matheson 1-2pm

Jan Merlin 2-3pm

Larry Niven 2-3pm

William F. Nolan 11-1pm

Charles Neutzel 1-2pm

Patrick O'Connor 3-5pm

Felice Picano 1-2pm

Jerry Pournelle 2-3pm

Tim Powers 11-1pm

Bill Pronzini 1-2pm

Robert Reginald 10-11am

John Skipp 10-11am

Harry Turtledove 1-2pm

Stephen Woodworth 2-3pm

One Day Only: SUNDAY MARCH 27, 2011

VALLEY INN AND CONFERENCE CENTER

10621 Sepulveda Blvd

Mission Hills, CA 91345 (818) 891-1771

Special room rates available

9AM - 5:30PM

Admission: $5

FREE PARKING

Edited by sacentaur

Thnx primarily to this thread, I am looking forward to the 32nd Annual Los Angeles Vintage Paperback Collectors Show next month (info below).

RyanH and I attended a few years ago, and had a great time - there were ample pulps and some original art (I obtained a great Fiction House/Cowgirl Romances splash page).

Frederik Pohl was there too, though he was apparently unable to attend last year, and is not on the guest list this year. Ray Bradbuy had attended in prior years, too.

Link: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.la-vintage-paperback-show.com%2F&ei=6nBpTfjIL5G0sAPGzM2mBA&usg=AFQjCNEJtbBdYwKJAJRQLAGgFloIdvEBZw

That looks like it's going to be an exciting event.

Hopefully someone will post photos of it afterwards so that those of us who won't be attending can at least enjoy it from afar.

Curt Siodmak's first published story was in the fourth issue of Amazing Stories.

AmazingStories1926-07interior01.jpg

I like the description of the story that I read in Bleiler's SCIENCE-FICTION THE GERNSBACK YEARS: "Taken to Germany, the eggs hatch into monstrous blood-sucking flies the size of horses."

I can only imagine how wild the stories from AMAZING STORIES must have been to the readers at that time. Everyone's exposure to speculative fiction in literature and movies was much more limited than today. It must have given a jolt to children's imagination.

Very Cool! and his bro directed some good film noir- Woolrich's 'Phantom Lady' in '44, as well as cult-classic 'Cobra Woman' same year etc. My Bantam seems to have a sig...

img423.jpg

And of course Curt wrote classic horror movies like The Wolfman and I Walked With a Zombie. :thumbsup:

That looks like a lot of fun....unfortunately it's an 8 hour drive one way for me (I'm in Tucson) - not sure I can justify it for only one day (plus, the thought goes through my head how many books I could buy with all the $$ I'll be spending on gas). How big is the show? I can't find a lot of information on it other than the provided link - kind of surprising since it's the biggest show of its kind. Anyone have any pics of past setups?

well it's the biggest show for a very small hobby! but if you're hankering for old PBs, pulps, related OA, meeting some folks in the biz, etc, could be worthwhile... my memory of in the '80s: one big dealer room with guests of honor at table in corner- not too much else... still was quant suff! plus I'm hoping you and Hodgson are getting along!

"Taken to Germany, the eggs hatch into monstrous blood-sucking flies the size of horses."

this fly isn't the size of a horse but still kinda unsettling...

hfly.JPG

well it's the biggest show for a very small hobby! but if you're hankering for old PBs, pulps, related OA, meeting some folks in the biz, etc, could be worthwhile... my memory of in the '80s: one big dealer room with guests of honor at table in corner- not too much else... still was quant suff! plus I'm hoping you and Hodgson are getting along!

"Taken to Germany, the eggs hatch into monstrous blood-sucking flies the size of horses."

this fly isn't the size of a horse but still kinda unsettling...

We are yes! I am about a third of the way through and am enjoying the story. Is the rest of Hodgson's stuff similar?

That looks like a lot of fun....unfortunately it's an 8 hour drive one way for me (I'm in Tucson) - not sure I can justify it for only one day (plus, the thought goes through my head how many books I could buy with all the $$ I'll be spending on gas). How big is the show? I can't find a lot of information on it other than the provided link - kind of surprising since it's the biggest show of its kind. Anyone have any pics of past setups?

I've only been once, and the show wasn't that big. The celebs pop in and out quickly, and I didn't really see anything earth-shattering for sale.

I would not make an 8hr drive for this particular show, but that's easy for me to say as I'm just 25 minutes away...