• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Freas DJ for book by Mrs Henry Kuttner. is 1952 pub with JCC date 12/25/52...

img439.jpg

Kuttner and Moore are two others that I haven't read that are now on my ever expanding list. I love these books you guys have been scanning!

Brundage and Finlay are my two favorite WT cover artists, though there are really several fantastic pieces by others as well (many of whom I've never heard of). I really dig a lot of the weird menace covers on some of the other pulps too.

Looks like I'll be expanding past my few paltry issues of Planet Stories now. I grew up reading the Bantam Doc Savages when I was a kid (before I even knew what a pulp was) and am kind of surprised I haven't picked any of those up yet. Unfortunately I'm not as enamored with the Doc covers as some of the others (but I love the stories!). Does anyone here collect Doc?

Brundage, St John, Ward, Saunders, Finlay, and Freas are some I like a lot. Overall I'm most amazed by St John's work. I would love to see originals.

There isn't a better introduction to the pulp artist and paintings than this book. http://www.amazon.com/Pulp-Art-Original-Paintings-Magazines/dp/1402730357/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299126007&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Other favorites that come immediately to mind are Baumhofer, Belarski, DeSoto and Howitt and Hewitt.

Or J.W. Scott...

Painting.jpg

pulppainting.jpg

St John may be more impressive overall, but in the 'Weird Women' niche she reigns supreme!

And I didn't mean to slight the great Paul - I am genuinely curious who collectors consider to be the "Alex Schomburg" or "Lou Fine" of pulp covers.

Fortunately, Schomburg was the Schomburg of pulp covers.

5192691782_dc623459f3_b.jpg

1688008843_5fb1cb42fe_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

St John may be more impressive overall, but in the 'Weird Women' niche she reigns supreme!

And I didn't mean to slight the great Paul - I am genuinely curious who collectors consider to be the "Alex Schomburg" or "Lou Fine" of pulp covers.

1688008843_5fb1cb42fe_z.jpg

Nice, but correct me if I'm wrong that his body of work is not regarded in the same manner in pulps as it is in comics (Timelys specifically of course).

With that artistic style, it is easy to understand why he thought that tie went with that shirt

With that artistic style, it is easy to understand why he thought that tie went with that shirt

lol:signfunny:

Stepping back a few pages to the St. John covers BZ posted, I received my "J. Allen St. John : Grand Master of Fantasy" book yesterday from Amazon, and I recommend it.

I think there could have have been more pulp work included (and less early commercial work), but overall, its got some great repro's of original St. John's, which lets you see how loose he worked. His ability to capture action and lighting was/is astounding.

Bit of a goofy title though.

didn't see any other inscription on the 'Judgment Night'. Present to self? Bought new? mysteries...

ps- don't forget Bok, Finlay, Allen Anderson, Earle Bergey, Hans Wessolowski, Matt Fox, Robert Gibson Jones, & Xela! + Lawrence SS shown below 4/49

img444.jpg

Stepping back a few pages to the St. John covers BZ posted, I received my "J. Allen St. John : Grand Master of Fantasy" book yesterday from Amazon, and I recommend it.

I think there could have have been more pulp work included (and less early commercial work), but overall, its got some great repro's of original St. John's, which lets you see how loose he worked. His ability to capture action and lighting was/is astounding.

Margaret Brundage was interviewed in the 1970's and she made reference to St. John in this passage printed in THE WEIRD TALES STORY by Robert Weinberg:

When asked about the nudes, Mrs. Brundage replied, "Wright told me that the nude covers did better than those that did not feature nudes. He said my covers sold the magazine better than the covers by the Burroughs' artist...[st. John we asked] ... Yes, St. John, the Art Institute teacher. I would submit several sketches to Wright and Spengler and they always wanted the ones with the scantiest clad girls. I drew what they wanted."

Margaret's husband, Slim Brundage, seems like an interesting character.

From Wikipedia: Link

Slim_Brundage_1960.jpg

Myron Reed "Slim" Brundage (November 29, 1903 – October 18, 1990) was the "founder and janitor" of the College of Complexes, a radical social center in Chicago during the 1950s. It was known as Chicago's Number One "beatnik bistro".

Brundage was also a writer and poet closely associated with the Beats. A Hobo, Wobbly, Soapboxer, veteran of Bughouse Square and the Dil Pickle Club, 'little theater' playwright/actor, president emeritus of the Hobo College in the 1930s, housepainter, humorist, and chief architect of the scandalous Beatnik Party during the 1960 elections.

Brundage was also the proprietor of a coffee house called College for Complexes. In 1960 the shop hosted a Beat Convention to nominate a Beat Party candidate for President of the United States. Brundage ran for the nomination himself and though he provided a place to sleep and free food for beatniks from out of town, he did not succeed.

In 1997, Franklin Rosemont edited a collection entitled From Bughouse Square to the Beat Generation: Selected Ravings of Slim Brundage - Founder & Janitor of the College of Complexes, published by the Charles H Kerr Company Publishers as part of its Bughouse Square Series.

He was married to artist Margaret Brundage (née Johnson) from 1927 to 1939, and Katarine C. Wood from 1940

weirdtales193410.jpg

Weird Tales (October 1934)

Jeepers, that looks fresh off the newsstand!

Now I have to find out if that was indeed the weirdest story ever told :ohnoez:

(I have a hard time believing it's any weirder than The Loved Dead by CM Eddy/HPL).

Slim's book "From Bughouse Square To The Beat Generation" is available for sale on Amazon. Link

slimbrundage.jpg

Amazon Product Description

Cultural Writing. In 1960, Dorothy Kilgallen wrote, "If you wish to see the so-called 'beat generation' in action, drop in at the College of Complexes." A unique combination of tavern, university, and non-stop party, the College was for many years Chicago's premier "outsider outpost." The writings collected here by the College's Founder and Janitor, Slim Brundage (1903-1990), chronicle the colorful history of what may well be the oldest continuous dissident workingclass intellectual community in the U.S. Hobo, Wobbly, Soapboxer, housepainter, humorist, and chief architect of the scandalous Beatnik Party during the 1960 elections, Brundage was very much a maker of the history he writes about. "Slim ran a lively place-livelier than most. He's an ingenious sort of guy... good at talking and getting people to talk"-Jack Conroy. Franklin Rosemont's introduction discusses the college's roots and outlines the Janitor's radical (and Dadaist) critique of traditional education.