• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Some of you probably have already seen this or knew about it but Frank Robinson is letting his collection go. Frank, among other things, is the author of what I think is the best first entry book to the pulps: Pulp Culture, a book that features also Frank's collection. Adventure House will be running the auctions and they put together this (ponderous) preview video -

I have the Arkham House edition.

houndsoftindalos.jpg

Jacket art by Hannes Bok.

(1946)

This one is on the top of my Arkham House wish list for sure - love the artwork on this edition.

Not nearly as hard to find, but also much cheaper is this paperback copy I found for $2.00 at a used bookstore a couple weeks ago - still a fun cover tho:

110053.jpg.b8237f12ff7a58422f1ae63ca9e1cf46.jpg

Wow, Scrooge. That was one hell of a video clip. So many incredible pulps in there. Thanks for posting. (thumbs u

That was great. The timing of each picture with the music was perfect. Now we need an intro to BZ's collection or Pat's. I suggest "Also sprach Zarathustra".

My collection would require something more chaotic like Stravinsky's "Rites of Spring" with a gorilla throwing my coverless comics and pulps around my office.

Edited by BB-Gun

Some of you probably have already seen this or knew about it but Frank Robinson is letting his collection go. Frank, among other things, is the author of what I think is the best first entry book to the pulps: Pulp Culture, a book that features also Frank's collection. Adventure House will be running the auctions and they put together this (ponderous) preview video -

I saw that this weekend. I asked my wife about the possible of taking out a second mortgage and I got "The Look". :eek:

5482502442_de6dc7f010_z.jpg

BZ,

I think you mentioned you were a fan of Castle Frankenstein. I picked up this issue at my neighbors house during a garage sell.

My friend Glenn collected Famous Monsters but I had a few in my collection. I think this was one I purchased at the local Rexall Drug Store.

5481904947_041ebc19e3_z.jpg

I enjoyed those Ray Harryhausen movies and Tim Burton's work as well.

Too bad CGI has displaced the old technology but perhaps there is still some room for growth in the media.

The guy pictured on the cover was basically the same for Sinbad and 20 Million Miles to Earth.

Edited by BB-Gun

BZ,

I picked up a bunch of scans recently and found some Schomburg illustrations.

Do you have all of the early Strange Stories issues?

AS did some horror as well.

5507136360_3fdc86c985_z.jpg

I didn't know that the Radio Man author had teamed up with Alex.

5507136302_5d6b879958_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Have they announced when the auction is scheduled to begin?

I couldn't find that info at their website.

Wow, Scrooge. That was one hell of a video clip. So many incredible pulps in there. Thanks for posting. (thumbs u

That was great. The timing of each picture with the music was perfect. Now we need an intro to BZ's collection or Pat's. I suggest "Also sprach Zarathustra".

My collection would require something more chaotic like Stravinsky's "Rites of Spring" with a gorilla throwing my coverless comics and pulps around my office.

:signfunny:

I think I'd like to use something like Disney's Skeleton Dance. hm

5506496016_dec70a8005_z.jpg

I started collecting paperbacks several years ago and picked up some Avons and a few Charlie Chan mysteries. Avon cover art tends to be pretty sensational.

There were thousands of really great looking paperbacks published in the 1940's and 50's.

I love the fact that it's still possible to buy most of them at reasonable prices.

BZ,

I picked up a bunch of scans recently and found some Schomburg illustrations.

Do you have all of the early Strange Stories issues?

AS did some horror as well.

5507136360_3fdc86c985_z.jpg

I didn't know that the Radio Man author had teamed up with Alex.

5507136302_5d6b879958_z.jpg

Thanks for the scans, BB. :applause:

I have all the Strange Stories but honestly didn't remember that Schomburg had done any interior illos.

strangestories.jpg

Thanks for the scans, BB. :applause:

I have all the Strange Stories but honestly didn't remember that Schomburg had done any interior illos.

strangestories.jpg

Those are some great covers! I don't think I've ever seen this series before. The one on the top row, the 3rd from the left looks especially gruesome :insane:

I haven't seen anything yet. They are not the best at advertizing and publicizing this. Same with the Darrell Richardson collection catalog and auctions.

On their home page they mention that Darrell Richardson catalogs are still available with over 14,000 items for sale. I looked for further details but couldn't find a link. (shrug)