• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Even though Ten Detective Aces tends to be looked down upon by pulp readers, I have always found it attractive thanks to the Saunders covers.

As is wont to happen with Avon, one of the ppb Alanna posted shares the cover art with this comic -

110307.jpg.50b74447a175570be7ec4a144f06e757.jpg

What are these magazines like inside?

If the stories are even half as entertaining as the headline teases on the covers, they must be fun to read.

Some are more entertainig than others. Here is Real War from 1958 - not science fiction so much as science "faction". The cold war looms!

realwar.jpg [/img]

realwar-1.jpg

realwar005.jpg

realwar002.jpg

Of course this is what the boys were really buying...

realwar006.jpg

realwar-1.jpg

From Wikipedia for those too young to remember him:

Syd Shores

Sydney Shores (September 4, 1913 - June 3, 1973) was an American comic book artist known for his work on Captain America both during the 1940s, in what fans and historians call the Golden Age of comic books, and during the 1960s Silver Age of comic books.

Golden Age of comicsShores initially worked as an inker, embellishing some of the earliest pencil work of industry legend Jack Kirby, including the covers of the Simon & Kirby-created Captain America Comics #5, 7 and 9 in 1941. After the Simon & Kirby team moved on following Captain America Comics #10 (Jan. 1942), Shores and Al Avison became regular pencilers of the hit title, with one generally inking over the other, both working with writer Stan Lee. At that point, Shores received a promotion, he recalled in 1973, "When Simon and Kirby left in 1942 Stan did all the writing and was given the position of editorial director, while I was the art director, although I got called 'associate editor' in the books that were put out around then."Shores took over as regular penciller on Captain America Comics, inked by Vince Alascia, while Avison did his World War II military service. Decades later, Shores would return to ink Kirby's Captain America during the 1960s Silver Age of Comic Books.

Shores also inked two of Kirby's Golden Age Vision stories, in Marvel Mystery Comics #21-22 (July-Aug. 1941); and the cover and splash page of Young Allies #1 (July 1941). Shores said, "Jack Kirby influenced my sense of dramatics. Jack Kirby influences everybody in comics, though: Before I got really started in the field it was Alex Raymond and Hal Foster, they were my gods back then, but Kirby was the most immediate influence."[3] Shores penciled stories of the Vision and the Patriot in Marvel Mystery Comics, Major Liberty in USA Comics, and the Captain America portions of the All-Winners Squad stories in the (unhyphenated) All Winners Comics #19 and 21 (Fall and Winter 1946; there was no issue #20).

Shores was inducted into the U.S. Army in early 1944, seeing action as part of General Patton's Third Army in France and Germany, and receiving a Purple Heart for being wounded in France on 16 December 1944. After four months at a convalescent hospital in Warwick, England, he was reassigned to an engineering outfit and became part of the occupation forces in Germany.

Comic-book artist Gene Colan recalled in 1999,

My first real professional start in the comic-book business began in the summer of 1946, and that is when I met Syd Shores. He was the head man in the Art Department of Marvel Comics. ... I was flying by the seat of my pants ... hoping that everything would turn out. I didn't want the seams to show but that was all part of the learning process and Syd helped me wade through. ... His realistic style, for some time, became an obsession with me. His characters looked like the real thing. Whatever he had them doing was as real to life as you could get.

Tales of Wonder V1#1 (1937)

talesofwonder.jpg

Note the John Beynon credit.

That's one of Wyndham's numerous pseudonyms. Many of them being variations of his actual name, John Wyndham Parkes Lucas Beynon Harris.