• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I enjoy his composition and willingness to push the subject matter boundaries. His line work is a little weak and his characters have little depth. That's my judgemental editorial. Still, much better than average Fiction Houses cover art, those are many a classic cover.

RangersComics2180Rockford.jpg

RangersComics2450Overstreetcopy.jpg

RangersComics2550Overstreetcopy.jpg

RangersComics2670Overstreetcopy.jpg

Thanks for posting all of those terrific cover scans. :applause:

I took a look over at Heritage and found quite a few Doolin originals that they have sold in past auctions, including a complete 12 page story from Rangers #1.

Here are a few samples:

doolinrangers1_1.jpg

doolinrangers1_3.jpg

doolinrangers1_12.jpg

Wow, without even knowing it I have been putting together a run of his work. Thanks BZ!

+1 :applause: I didn't even know a lot of these were by the same guy!

Rangers #26 in particular is one of my favorite covers of the GA.

To say that Edmond Hamilton started off with a bang is understatement. His first story, 'The Monster-God of Mamurth' ran in the August issue, his 3-part SF 'Across Space' ran Sept-Oct-Nov, and he had novelettes in the February and March 1927 issues, etc!. A WT wizard, to be sure...

Maybe Super Brain just needed a nice peach- here’s the ‘bighead’ brother John C brought back as a souvenir from Shanghai when he went there with my Dad (Navy) in 1932 (JCC was 16). It made enough of an impression on me that when I bought my first netsuke I chose a bighead.

doolinrang.jpg

P3233820.JPG

bighead.jpg

To say that Edmond Hamilton started off with a bang is understatement. His first story, 'The Monster-God of Mamurth' ran in the August issue...

Interesting that Hamilton's story rated a mention on the cover and big name authors, like Lovecraft, who were published in that issue, were ignored.

weirdtales192608.jpg

Cover: C. Barker Petrie, Jr.

I think WT editor Farnsworth Wright appreciated the clarity and cosmic imagination of Hamilton's writing. (you could also argue they’re pushing the TITLE not the AUTHOR) The HPL does seem to be a 'vignette'...

Aug 1926 also reprints Guy de Maupassant's masterful 1887 story of demonic possession, 'The Horla'. Here’s an image gleaned from web…

cover_le_horla.jpg

Aug 1926 also reprints Guy de Maupassant's masterful 1887 story of demonic possession, 'The Horla'. Here’s an image gleaned from web…

I'll take another look at the August 1926 issue tomorrow and see if Weird Tales published an illustration for The Horla that's worth posting.