• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Whether you're an an interplanetary adventurer or an ornery fish, safety is no joking matter.

Always wear your helmet when you're on the job!

unknown194004.jpg

Rene Lafayette = L. Ron Hubbard :gossip:

That's a title I've never seen before...is it basically a science-fiction/fantasy-ish based publication or do they span the horror/weird fiction genre too? Dude with the fork looks like he might've been born and raised in Innsmouth!

from Wiki- was a good mag: Hubbard's 'Slaves of Sleep', deCamp's 'Lest Darkness Fall', Van Vogt's 'Book of Ptath', etc

Unknown (also known as Unknown Worlds) was an American pulp fantasy fiction magazine, published from 1939 to 1943 by Street & Smith, and edited by John W. Campbell. Unknown was a companion to Street & Smith's science fiction pulp, Astounding Science Fiction, which was also edited by Campbell at the time; many authors and illustrators contributed to both magazines. Campbell began planning a fantasy magazine in 1938, and put his plans into action when Eric Frank Russell sent him the manuscript of his novel Sinister Barrier, the plot of which, about aliens who owned the human race, was well-suited to Unknown. The first issue appeared in March 1939, and in addition to Sinister Barrier it included H.L. Gold's "Trouble With Water", a humorous fantasy about a New Yorker who meets a water gnome. Gold's story was the first of many stories in Unknown to combine commonplace reality with the fantastic.

Campbell required his authors to avoid simplistic horror fiction, and insisted that the fantasy elements in the story be developed logically: for example, Jack Williamson's "Darker Than You Think" describes a world in which there is a scientific explanation for the existence of werewolves.

re- witch trials, puritans, first thought in image borrowed from web- 1998 Wandering Star production with art by Gary Gianni

kane.jpg

That's actually the cover for the audio CD that came with the book.

I have all the Wandering Star REH books and I have to say if you are fan of beautiful illustrated editions you should really check these out. They are absolutely gorgeous volumes. The Solomon Kane volume was the first one issued and was chock full of extras like prints of the Gianni plates and the CD.

SolomonKane02sm.jpg

SolomonKane01sm.jpg

SolomonKane03sm.jpg

I was fortunate enough to purchase my copy from Gary himself and he hooked me up with a sketch. :cloud9:

SolomonKane04sm.jpg