• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

For those that didn't see this on the Comic Strip list, here's the audio of a 1963 interview with Jimmy Swinnerton. Images of Swinnerton's work have been added as a background to the talk -

Thanks for the link. :applause:

I knew that video was in the works but hadn't realized it had been completed and uploaded already.

The drawing below is seen at the 26 minute mark of the interview. It's a cartoon Swinnerton drew in 1922 on the occasion of George Herriman's birthday.

swinnerton.jpg

Pictured are Swinnerton, Herriman (creator of Krazy Kat), and Rudolph Dirks (creator of the Katzenjammer Kids).

The three were close friends who periodically made pilgrimages together to Monument Valley.

For those that didn't see this on the Comic Strip list, here's the audio of a 1963 interview with Jimmy Swinnerton. Images of Swinnerton's work have been added as a background to the talk -

Thanks for the link. :applause:

I knew that video was in the works but hadn't realized it had been completed and uploaded already.

The drawing below is seen at the 26 minute mark of the interview. It's a cartoon Swinnerton drew in 1922 on the occasion of George Herriman's birthday.

swinnerton.jpg

Pictured are Swinnerton, Herriman (creator of Krazy Kat), and Rudolph Dirks (creator of the Katzenjammer Kids).

The three were close friends who periodically made pilgrimages together to Monument Valley.

:applause:

Captain Tornado is one of the forgotten heroes Golden Age.

The artwork is credited by GCD to Newt Alfred who also did a few stories for Timely and Fawcett in 1940.

I think it was an entertaining strip.

popular46_1.jpg

Popular Comics #46 (December 1939)

popular46_3.jpg

Excellent stories. (thumbs u My first thought when they landed, was they were on Earth but had shrunk in size. In the second story I had the eerie feeling that the humans were specializing in function, much like ants do. There were the "drones" or workers who did not talk, and then others who had specialized night vision. About the only loose end was a lack of an explanation as to how the Earth men could communicate with the King of the planet without some form of speech converter.

popular46_3.jpg

Excellent stories. (thumbs u My first thought when they landed, was they were on Earth but had shrunk in size. In the second story I had the eerie feeling that the humans were specializing in function, much like ants do. There were the "drones" or workers who did not talk, and then others who had specialized night vision. About the only loose end was a lack of an explanation as to how the Earth men could communicate with the King of the planet without some form of speech converter.

Tornado likes to shoot first and figure it out later.