• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I've read a few Professor Supermind and Son strips recently.

It was an entertaining and very nicely illustrated feature.

From Wikipedia:

Professor Supermind and Son was a comic book feature that appeared in issues 60-71 of Dell Comics' Popular Comics publication. Professor Warren (Supermind) used his energy machine to give his son, Dan, superhuman powers, including super strength, invulnerability, and the ability to fly. With these powers, and his father's other inventions, Dan Warren fought criminals and Nazis.

This story appeared in Poular Comics #65 (July 1941).

supermind1.jpg

7366971986_6b70a67c56_z.jpg

A lot of Ray's stories were reprinted in these Ballantine Books back in the sixties.

Some of the other stories reprinted looked pretty good too, e.g. this Wood splash from Tales of the incredible.

7366972262_4ede5b8c31_c.jpg

Wow BZ...

I didn't know Winsor's son also drew comic books.

The style is just like his father's. :o

I've got some Winsor "Nemo" pages scanned from Star comics, I'll try to post them.

Just for comparison purposes... (thumbs u

3330927751_eed13d1e35_b.jpg

Windsor's Nemo had a unique style which reminds me of Escher.

Which would be the best way to discover McCay work? I know there is a lot of reprints and hard covers, but which one is the best edition?

Wow BZ...

I didn't know Winsor's son also drew comic books.

The style is just like his father's. :o

I've got some Winsor "Nemo" pages scanned from Star comics, I'll try to post them.

Just for comparison purposes... (thumbs u

3330927751_eed13d1e35_b.jpg

Windsor's Nemo had a unique style which reminds me of Escher.

Which would be the best way to discover McCay work? I know there is a lot of reprints and hard covers, but which one is the best edition?

That's a no brainer:

http://www.onfulfillment.com/SundayPressBooks/

Whatever you do, don't order this from Amazon. This massive oversized volume will arrive all banged up. Get it directly from Sunday press. They have a special on both volumes for 225.

Those books are very nice. If you can buy them at a good price I'm sure you'll be very happy with them.

I purchased my copies when they were remaindered some years back.

I also purchased the Sunday Press edition. :gossip:

I decided to pull out my Classics Illustrated yesterday and read a few.

One of the ones I read was Mysteries by Edgar Allan Poe.

classicsillustrated40.jpg

I've read quite a few Poe stories through the years but I'd never heard of Hans Pfall.

Here's a little bit of background info about the story.

From Wikipedia:

The Unparalleled Adventure of One Hans Pfaall

"The Unparalleled Adventure of One Hans Pfaall" (1835) is a short story by Edgar Allan Poe published in the June 1835 issue of the monthly magazine Southern Literary Messenger, and intended by Poe to be a hoax.

Poe planned to continue the hoax in further installments, but was upstaged by the famous Great Moon Hoax which started in the August 25, 1835 issue of the New York Sun daily newspaper. Poe later wrote that the flippant tone of the story made it easy for educated readers to see through the supposed hoax.

Plot summary

The story opens with the delivery to a crowd gathered in Rotterdam of a manuscript detailing the journey of a man named Hans Pfaall. The manuscript, which comprises the majority of the story, sets out in detail how Pfaall contrived to reach the moon by benefit of a revolutionary new balloon and a device which compresses the vacuum of space into breathable air. The journey takes him nineteen days, and the narrative includes descriptions of the Earth from space as well as the descent to its fiery, volcanic satellite. Pfaall withholds most of the information regarding the surface of the moon and its inhabitants in order to negotiate a pardon from the Burgomaster for several murders he committed as he left earth (creditors of his who were becoming irksome). After reading the manuscript, the city authorities agree that Pfaall should be pardoned, but the messenger who brought them the text (apparently a resident of the moon) has vanished and they are unable to restore communication with him.

Literary significance

Poe's story may have had an influence on, and is referenced in Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon, which seems to be a retelling of the story.