• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I'm okay.

Thanks for asking. :foryou:

I don't know where the time went. (shrug)

Last thing I remember, I was sitting down to a midnight snack sometime around Thanksgiving and the next thing I know...it's Easter. :o

naptime.jpg

(Actually, I was just busy with other stuff and fell out of the habit of posting here.) :sorry:

Welcome back.

I was thinking of you a couple of weeks back when I was reading this from the library.

Even comes with a CD ... but I forgot to listen to it before returning the book doh!

51sbcHsCq%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It's a 192-page graphic novel. The narrative is split up in a series of vignette, some very short, some more extended. Here's the write-up;

"The Carter Family: Don’t Forget This Song is a rich and compelling original graphic novel that tells the story of the Carter Family—the first superstar group of country music—who made hundreds of recordings and sold millions of records. Many of their hit songs, such as “Wildwood Flower” and “Will the Circle Be Unbroken,” have influenced countless musicians and remain timeless country standards.

The Carter Family: Don’t Forget This Song is not only a unique illustrated biography, but a moving account that reveals the family’s rise to success, their struggles along the way, and their impact on contemporary music. Illustrated with exacting detail and written in the Southern dialect of the time, its dynamic narrative is pure Americana. It is also a story of success and failure, of poverty and wealth, of racism and tolerance, of creativity and business, and of the power of music and love."

Other interesting musings ... today, I continued to watch Capitaine Flam with my 3½ year old. That japanese animated series was big when I was growing up in France so it's a pleasure to watch it with the girl BUT, lo and behold, in the credit, it states: Adapted from Edmond Hamilton :o I had no idea and yes, it turns out that it's an adaptation of Hamilton's Captain Future series. Apparently, the show didn't get syndication in the U.S. but many European countries got to see all 53 episodes which adapted 13 of Hamilton's stories. There are fan sites for the series out there. Who knew!? I didn't at the time but glad I caught that.

Here's my copy from Spring 1942 -

CaptainFuture-Winter1942_zpse1c16248.jpg

Welcome back.

I was thinking of you a couple of weeks back when I was reading this from the library.

Even comes with a CD ... but I forgot to listen to it before returning the book doh!

51sbcHsCq%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It's a 192-page graphic novel. The narrative is split up in a series of vignette, some very short, some more extended. Here's the write-up;

"The Carter Family: Don’t Forget This Song is a rich and compelling original graphic novel that tells the story of the Carter Family—the first superstar group of country music—who made hundreds of recordings and sold millions of records. Many of their hit songs, such as “Wildwood Flower” and “Will the Circle Be Unbroken,” have influenced countless musicians and remain timeless country standards.

The Carter Family: Don’t Forget This Song is not only a unique illustrated biography, but a moving account that reveals the family’s rise to success, their struggles along the way, and their impact on contemporary music. Illustrated with exacting detail and written in the Southern dialect of the time, its dynamic narrative is pure Americana. It is also a story of success and failure, of poverty and wealth, of racism and tolerance, of creativity and business, and of the power of music and love."

Johnny Cash filled in for A.P. after he died.

There was a nice chat and duet featuring Maybelle Carter and Doc Watson on the "Will the Circle be Unbroken" album (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band).

It's a 192-page graphic novel. The narrative is split up in a series of vignette, some very short, some more extended.

Thanks for the tip. :applause:

My local library gets quite a few graphic novels. Maybe they'll get this one. :wishluck:

Other interesting musings ... today, I continued to watch Capitaine Flam with my 3½ year old. That japanese animated series was big when I was growing up in France so it's a pleasure to watch it with the girl BUT, lo and behold, in the credit, it states: Adapted from Edmond Hamilton :o I had no idea and yes, it turns out that it's an adaptation of Hamilton's Captain Future series. Apparently, the show didn't get syndication in the U.S. but many European countries got to see all 53 episodes which adapted 13 of Hamilton's stories. There are fan sites for the series out there. Who knew!? I didn't at the time but glad I caught that.

Thanks for the info.

I never heard of that cartoon series so I looked online for further facts.

From Wikipedia:

In 1978, one year after Hamilton's death, Toei Animation of Japan produced a Captain Future (Kyaputen Fyūchā?) anime TV series of 53 episodes, based on 13 original Hamilton stories. Despite the strong cultural differences and the large gap between a literary work and animation, the series was close to the original in many ways, from the didactic scientific explanations to the emphasis on the usefulness of brains as opposed to brawn.

The series was translated in several languages and distributed globally. The four episodes comprising the series' second story arc were dubbed into English and released on video by ZIV International in the early 1980s as The Adventures of Captain Future. In the late 80s, Harmony Gold dubbed the series' initial four-part story as an edited "TV movie" simply entitled Captain Future.

While only eight episodes in total were dubbed into English, the series met huge success particularly in France, where the title and lead character's name were changed to "Capitaine Flam", in Italy with the translated title of "Capitan Futuro", in Latin America and Spain with the title "Capitán Futuro". The success in France and Italy was especially due to anthemic theme tunes (in the dubbed language) which became popular hits in the late 1970s and early 1980s on the French and Italian charts. The Arabic language version has the title of ( فارس الفضاء Faris al-Fadha'a) ("The Knight of Space") and it is considered one of the most popular anime series after being broadcast many times during the 1980s.

The series was also broadcast in Germany, where it appeared under its original title. However, this version was cut by about a quarter of the original length, which mainly affected violent scenes or those considered 'expendable' for the storylines. The reason for this was the misconception in its time that any Japanese anime was automatically meant for children, not for an older audience; the synchronisation studios simply disregarded the fact that in Japan the series was broadcast in the evening hours, hardly a suitable time for children to watch television. Another well-known title released in Germany at about the same time, Heidi, Girl of the Alps, serves as one of many example cases for this misinterpretation.

The original incidental music was composed by Yuji Ohno, while the English-dubbed version had a new soundtrack composed by Mark Mercury. Mercury's work survived on the Latin American version, but a new opening was added for it, composed by Shuki Levy and sung by Chilean performer Juan Guillermo Aguirre (aka "Capitán Memo").

For the German version, a completely new soundtrack was created by German composer Christian Bruhn. To this day, the soundtrack is considered cult for giving the series the right feeling and not only the theme song is still used as background music in many magazines and other shows. A soundtrack CD was released in 1995, and a remix called "The Final" by Phil Fuldner entered the top ten of the German and Swiss single charts in 1998. The German publisher Bastei-Verlag released a Captain Future comic series with original adventures.

For anyone who wishes to learn more about Captain Future, Robert Weinberg wrote a great overview of the character: Link

Excerpt:

Captain Future was a pulp hero invented by Mort Weisinger when he was an editor at Standard Magazines (Thrilling Wonder Stories, Startling Stories, etc.) in 1939, shortly before attending the first World SF Convention in New York City. Weisinger realized that most science fiction fans at the time were teenage boys, so he came up with the idea of an SF magazine aimed at teens, with an outer-space hero. He announced the title, "Captain Future," at the convention, saying that he was inspired by the seriousness of the fans in attendence. Correspondence with Edmond Hamilton shows that Weisinger had already been planning the magazine months before the convention ever took place.

Edmond Hamilton took Weisinger's so-so idea about "Mr. Future" and turned the concept into "Captain Future." Captain Future, Curt Newton, was a typical super-science pulp hero, with a trio of unusual companions: Grag, a seven foot tall robot; Otho, a green-skinned android; and Simon Wright, a human brain living in a box. Together, these heroes were known as the "Futuremen," and had adventures throughout our solar system, and several times, outside the solar system.

Check out Weinberg's website for lots more background about the character, repros of pulp covers, and illustrations from the magazines.

For anyone who wishes to learn more about Captain Future, Robert Weinberg wrote a great overview of the character: Link

Excerpt:

Captain Future was a pulp hero invented by Mort Weisinger when he was an editor at Standard Magazines (Thrilling Wonder Stories, Startling Stories, etc.) in 1939, shortly before attending the first World SF Convention in New York City. Weisinger realized that most science fiction fans at the time were teenage boys, so he came up with the idea of an SF magazine aimed at teens, with an outer-space hero. He announced the title, "Captain Future," at the convention, saying that he was inspired by the seriousness of the fans in attendence. Correspondence with Edmond Hamilton shows that Weisinger had already been planning the magazine months before the convention ever took place.

Edmond Hamilton took Weisinger's so-so idea about "Mr. Future" and turned the concept into "Captain Future." Captain Future, Curt Newton, was a typical super-science pulp hero, with a trio of unusual companions: Grag, a seven foot tall robot; Otho, a green-skinned android; and Simon Wright, a human brain living in a box. Together, these heroes were known as the "Futuremen," and had adventures throughout our solar system, and several times, outside the solar system.

Check out Weinberg's website for lots more background about the character, repros of pulp covers, and illustrations from the magazines.

Brackett and Hamilton were an interesting pair I guess. Saw this one on ebay.

8612087546_68681c3c83_c.jpg

Excerpt:

Brackett and Hamilton were an interesting pair I guess. Saw this one on ebay.

8612087546_68681c3c83_c.jpg

One of the best covers on that run, IMHO.

Welcome back.

Johnny Cash filled in for A.P. after he died.

There was a nice chat and duet featuring Maybelle Carter and Doc Watson on the "Will the Circle be Unbroken" album (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band).

Carter Family and Johnny Cash :cloud9: