• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I was lucky enough to acquire several books that have personally drawn cartoons by Partch inside the front cover.

vip2.jpg

vip3.jpg

vip4.jpg

Big George by VIP was a regular in the Sunday pages from the sixties.

I wrote Partch a fan letter back in 1966 and he sent me the original artwork for a Sunday strip as a thank you.

Those were fun days. :cloud9:

I wrote Partch a fan letter back in 1966 and he sent me the original artwork for a Sunday strip as a thank you.

That's really cool.

I was lucky enough to acquire several books that have personally drawn cartoons by Partch inside the front cover.

vip2.jpg

vip3.jpg

vip4.jpg

Big George was the one non-adventure strip from that time that I loved.

(thumbs u

Wow! Thanks BZ! I have to say, that to actually be posted in the legendary "Golden Age Collection" thread is truly an honor. I've read every post -- and could not have understood half of what I might about comics if it weren't for the Gold Board. Many of you were of immense help to me -- I think of this place as pulps/comics grad school. I'm a comics guy my whole life -- but still learned a TON here. I thanked the Board by name in the book.

I'll be posting some art/artifacts up on the book's website at: www.super-boys.com

Today I have something on there where you can sign the actual Superman check!

But I will come back and post some stuff here, too, if you don't mind.

Here's something just for the board, who I know likes artifacts. Here is the cover of the Glenville HIgh School yearbook in 1929:

Caped-man-on-the-cover-of-the-Glenville-High-yearbook-1929.jpg

Thanks again,

Brad

Here's an interesting little article that ran in Jerry Siegel's high school newspaper in the fall of 1933.

glenvilletorch.jpg

Very cool - thanks for sharing this. It would be fun if someone might have the ad that appeared in Amazing Stories. You'd think it would have mentioned Superman(?).

I found several ads for S-F -- but not that Amazing Stories one -- and I looked. BZ?

Unfortunately, Dr. Occult is not collected anywhere -- but I reproduce some panels of it in the book.

DC is producing a big "Siegel/Shuster Omnibus" edition of Action reprints to coincide with the new movie, but I believe it is all Superman. It's too bad -- their early stuff is really phenomenal work.

BZ -- that Superman ad is like pristine.....