• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Wonderful stuff indeed. Biljo was a pivotal player in the hobby for sure.

4387221809_afb4687ceb_b.jpg

Biljo also published the Comicollector and Alter-Ego after Jerry switched to other fan projects like microfilm and the Keltner Index.

Bill was a terrific artist and I still enjoy his work.

1819423834_8bc41b0eef_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I recently posted group shot of my upgraded Cherry Tree Fantasy collection. There were only 12 in the series, and the only other one I really wanted was the scarcer and pricier 408. So when I saw one on ebay last night with $37.50 BIN I quickly positioned my mouse, got out my maul, and swang mightily at the enter key. Guess I hit it. This one is movie tie-in among other things- feature novella from Astounding 1938. If the $15 ship charge brings it with good speed and safety from across the pond- will be happy. (am using web image as ebay pic low res- will post real when here)

(ps Tubby Terrific)

Cherry%20Tree-408.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

I recently posted group shot of my upgraded Cherry Tree Fantasy collection. There were only 12 in the series, and the only other one I really wanted was the scarcer and pricier 408. So when I saw one on ebay last night with $37.50 BIN I quickly positioned my mouse, got out my maul, and swang mightily at the enter key. Guess I hit it. This one is movie tie-in among other things- feature novella from Astounding 1938. If the $15 ship charge brings it with good speed and safety from across the pond- will be happy. (am using web image as ebay pic low res- will post real when here)

Cherry%20Tree-408.jpg

It sounds terrific. :applause:

I'm looking forward to hearing more about it when the book arrives.

For those who have never seen it, here is a look at the story as it originally appeared in ASTOUNDING STORIES (August 1938).

whogoesthere.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Who Goes There? is a science fiction novella by John W. Campbell, Jr., written under the pen name Don A. Stuart. It was first published in the August 1938 Astounding Science-Fiction.

In 1973 the story was voted by the Science Fiction Writers of America as one of the finest science fiction novellas ever written. It was published with the other top vote-getters in The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two.

The novella has been adapted three times as a motion picture: the first in 1951 as The Thing from Another World; the second in 1982 as The Thing directed by John Carpenter; and most recently as a prequel to the Carpenter version, also titled The Thing, released in 2011.

my wife told me that the antique store on the corner had gotten in a shelf full of old Golden Books all $3.50 each & she bought 3 and urged me to go down today. I bought 3 as well (& a Wonder Book of Felix the Cat), 2 illustrated by my Golden fave, the Hungarian Tibor Gergely. Then when looking up the contents of SF Hall of Fame vol2 (I have #1) one SF database has birthdays on home page (found contents on wiki- some good yarns) & saw it was Tibor’s B-day (1900-1978). Cool! Also saw it was Simak’s B-day (1904-1988), and since I’d been thinking of buying Simak as finale for summer book bash (which is held to commemorate my bro’s B-day 9/7) pulled the trigger now. I just wanted to honor Clifford D and this is key early novel (1939 Astounding) in nice edition. Illo is from 1958’s Exploring Space.

img3690.jpg

106548406.jpg

my wife told me that the antique store on the corner had gotten in a shelf full of old Golden Books all $3.50 each & she bought 3 and urged me to go down today. I bought 3 as well (& a Wonder Book of Felix the Cat), 2 illustrated by my Golden fave, the Hungarian Tibor Gergely.

One of my gifts on my last birthday was this jigsaw puzzle.

jigsawpuzzle.jpg

my wife told me that the antique store on the corner had gotten in a shelf full of old Golden Books all $3.50 each & she bought 3 and urged me to go down today. I bought 3 as well (& a Wonder Book of Felix the Cat), 2 illustrated by my Golden fave, the Hungarian Tibor Gergely. Illo is from 1958’s Exploring Space

img3690.jpg

How extensive is your Little Golden Book collection?

I started saving first editions about 25 years ago but have been less active about pursuing copies in recent years.

Here is one of the original 12 titles that were published in 1942.

These early editions were published with dust jackets.

Pictured below is a photo of the book and the jacket sitting next to it.

fairytales1.jpg

fairytales2.jpg

fairytales3.jpg

fairytales4.jpg

From Wikipedia:

LITTLE GOLDEN BOOKS

History

The first 12 Little Golden Book titles were published on October 1, 1942:

1.Three Little Kittens

2.Bedtime Stories

3.Mother Goose

4.Prayers for Children

5.The Little Red Hen

6.Nursery Songs

7.The Alphabet from A to Z

8.The Poky Little Puppy

9.The Golden Book of Fairy Tales

10.Baby's Book of Objects

11.The Animals of Farmer Jones

12.This Little Piggy and Other Counting Rhymes

The books which initially sold for 25¢ (rising to 29¢ in 1962), were published by Simon and Schuster in cooperation with the Artist and Writers Guild, Inc. headed by Georges Duplaix. Duplaix had initially conceptualized the Little Golden Books series, assisted by Lucille Ogle, and fleshed it out in conversations with officials at Simon and Schuster. Mary Reed, Ph.D., a professor at the Teachers College of Columbia University, served as initial editor of the series.

Western Printing and Lithographing Company in Racine, Wisconsin was Simon and Schuster's partner in the Little Golden Books venture. Western handled the actual printing. In 1958, Simon and Schuster sold its interest in Little Golden Books to Western.

Many popular authors and illustrators have worked on Little Golden Books and related products including:

Mary Blair

Margaret Wise Brown

Lucy Sprague Mitchel

Tibor Gergely

Elizabeth Orton Jones

Corinne Malvern

Jim McDermott

Alice Provensen and Martin Provensen

Seymour Reit

Patricia and Richard Scarry

Bob Staake

Feodor Stepanovich Rojankovsky

Gustaf Tenggren

Jane Werner Watson

Eloise Wilkin

Garth Williams

Herbert Zim

Although the details have changed over the years, the Little Golden Books have maintained a distinctive appearance. A copy of The Poky Little Puppy bought today is essentially the same as one printed in 1942. Both are readily recognizable as Little Golden Books. At the time of the golden anniversary, Golden Books claimed that a billion and a half Little Golden Books had been sold.

I thought you might be interested in this Sandman splash since you have shown an interest in carnival and the circus in other posts.

Thanks, BB. (thumbs u

I'm not familiar with that story so I appreciate your bringing it to my attention.

I see according to GCD that the story appeared in ADVENTURE #84 which is an issue I own, so I'm going to sit down and read it later tonight.