• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I thought you might be interested in this Sandman splash since you have shown an interest in carnival and the circus in other posts.

Thanks, BB. (thumbs u

I'm not familiar with that story so I appreciate your bringing it to my attention.

I see according to GCD that the story appeared in ADVENTURE #84 which is an issue I own, so I'm going to sit down and read it later tonight.

You're welcome and here is another reason to buy Daredevil 1. I am not sure whether Bill or someone else posted this one but it is a nice ad worth seeing again.

From Comics Plus

9447983360_2c67901bc1_b.jpg

...and here is another reason to buy Daredevil 1. I am not sure whether Bill or someone else posted this one but it is a nice ad worth seeing again.

From Comics Plus

That's an amazing house ad. :applause:

I was reading a bunch of FEATURE COMICS at DCM a few weeks ago and this Paul Gustavson splash caught my eye.

rustryan.jpg

My Golden Book collection not extensive, around 3 doz- no DJs or anything special. Haphazard. But I must say that the years when my 2 boys were young, with my mom in San Diego and wife’s dad in Seattle, tripping up and down the coast never missing a used bookstore- were as golden as they get, and when we see a good one cheap we buy for it and afterglow. And there’s no introduction to lyric poetry like Mother Goose! Attached is more Tibor, and a taste (not from Golden book) of another super fave- Feodor Rojankovsky

img932.jpg

img370.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

But I must say that the years when my 2 boys were young, with my mom in San Diego and wife’s dad in Seattle, tripping up and down the coast never missing a used bookstore- were as golden as they get

It sounds like fun times.

You guys ever visit this used book shop? ;)

gergely.jpg

Illustration by Tibor Gergely from The Magic Bus (Wonder Books)

A Google search revealed to me that Leary's Book Store in downtown Philadelphia was, at the time of its closing in 1969, known as the “oldest book store in the United States.”

learysbooks.jpg

learysoldbookstore.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Leary’s heyday was during the “Golden Age of Books,” a period during the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century when books were the key source of entertainment and enlightenment.

After World War II consumers for books moved to suburbia where competing book stores and distance to Leary’s resulted in a declining demand for Leary’s used books.

The bookstore closed in 1968. During the final cataloging of its remaining book stock for sale at the Freeman auction house, a number of ancient documents, reported to have languished in the stock for 100 years or more, were found among its contents, including an original broadside of the Declaration of Independence dated to 1776. This proved to be a John Dunlap first printing and it sold for over $400,000 at auction. The buyers, two wealthy Texas businessmen, donated it to the city of Dallas, Texas; it is now on permanent display at the Dallas Public Library.

Leary’s Book Store and the adjoining Gimbels department store, originally acquired by Gimbels in 1894, were demolished by the late 1970s. Various redevelopment proposals for the site have failed and the ground has been used mostly as a parking lot.

Wonderful stuff about Leary's.

I've been getting interested in the development of the culture of collecting recently, and ran across a scan of this 1852 broadside advertising a new collection of antiquities for sale, including rare books, and inviting members of Congress to stop by.

Better known as Carusi's Saloon to google, the place sounds like quite a center of culture in Washington of the 1800s.

l-yqhhkrat42gt0s.jpg

A Google search revealed to me that Leary's Book Store in downtown Philadelphia was, at the time of its closing in 1969, known as the “oldest book store in the United States.”

learysbooks.jpg

learysoldbookstore.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Leary’s heyday was during the “Golden Age of Books,” a period during the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century when books were the key source of entertainment and enlightenment.

After World War II consumers for books moved to suburbia where competing book stores and distance to Leary’s resulted in a declining demand for Leary’s used books.

The bookstore closed in 1968. During the final cataloging of its remaining book stock for sale at the Freeman auction house, a number of ancient documents, reported to have languished in the stock for 100 years or more, were found among its contents, including an original broadside of the Declaration of Independence dated to 1776. This proved to be a John Dunlap first printing and it sold for over $400,000 at auction. The buyers, two wealthy Texas businessmen, donated it to the city of Dallas, Texas; it is now on permanent display at the Dallas Public Library.

Leary’s Book Store and the adjoining Gimbels department store, originally acquired by Gimbels in 1894, were demolished by the late 1970s. Various redevelopment proposals for the site have failed and the ground has been used mostly as a parking lot.

Very cool. I've lived in the Philly area my whole life and have never heard of Leary's Books. Here's the Google street view of that street today.

Modern view

Man, I love old books.

And with a single pic, you make a pretty good case for the value of old paper.

Would you rather have this:

mzl.tcxnrzbi.466x466-75.jpg

Or this:

548986_4763280492275_422414201_n.jpg

I am a big consumer of digital on my kindle and ipad, but that's a pretty concise illustration of the difference.

learysbooks.jpg

Here's the Google street view of that street today.

Modern view

That street view shows the parking lot. :cry:

learysbooks.jpg

Here's the Google street view of that street today.

Modern view

That street view shows the parking lot. :cry:

:cry: