• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

This one drew an audible gasp out of me.

Spectacular cover and copy. GCD says Joe Doolin, which must be right. He may not have been Planet's best draftsman, but the combination of fire-breathing, flying lizard, brutal green alien, and hot redhead are over the top!

The funniest detail is that little ringed planet iin the yellow (!) sky right under the dragon. Is that supposed to be the planet's moon (a ringed moon in broad daylight?) or should those guys underneath cover their heads?

Thanks again for posting these.

Jack

planetcomics29.jpg

Even for the world's worst art-spotter (me), there is NO mistaking Lily Renée's distinctive elongated physiques and ultra-short skirts on this and the previous cover. Spectacular! I'm so glad to see her claiming kudos at conventions.

Jack

planetcomics35.jpg

One of my favorite cover artists for Planet is Joe Doolin. I know nothing about him, other than the fact that he did quite a bit of work for Fiction House in the early 1940's.

Here's a few pages from the Mars feature he drew in Planet Comics.

marspg1.jpg

This is just some awesome stuff! :D

Sure is -- I've never seen anything but covers from Doolin. I'm glad to see some storytelling! Have any of his stories been reprinted for us mere mortals? (Any of the Planet Comics, for that matter.) Many histories are totally dismissive of the contents of Fiction House comics, but some of the interior scans I've seen are very attractive.

Jack