• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Interesting item, Scrooge.

I especially liked the biographical info you learned online.

I enjoy doing research like that too.

Thanks. At less than $5 I simply couldn't pass it up. I checked eBay this afternoon to see how common they were and eBay only has 1 or 2 up for auction at the moment. It seems that many different organizations provided the facilities for such recording. I can imagine that it was nice for families to be able to listen to these several times and be able to hear their loved ones' voice (instead of being on the phone briefly). The item is part of a long tradition. My wife still has the tapes her dad made for her when he was stationed in the Philippines during the Vietnam war.Surely I thought since you collect LPs and records that you would have come across some of these? Or BB since he seems interested in that time period?

Surely I thought since you collect LPs and records that you would have come across some of these?

I've seen many examples of recordings like that, but the only ones I ever collected were those from Hubert's Museum and Flea Circus (mid 1920's-1965) that was located in Times Square, New York City .

huberts.jpg

In the June 1938 Thrilling Wonder Stories, I found a listing from a reader who has comic books for trade.

I wonder if any are still available? hm

Note that TWS states that no swaps of magazines are allowed because "back numbers of magazines are known disease carriers."

I learned from a quick Google search that Norman Goring is listed in the 1938 Fredericksburg City Directory. His parents (?) are listed as shoe workers.

swapcolumn.jpg

Now we know where Weisinger came up with that odd factoid. Did he have any original ideas? Who edited this pulp?

From Superman 135 (2/60) -- note the last letter.

Jack

(Actually, I think they carry some kind of OCD infection, especially the Golden Age ones)

64188.jpg.79e57cc61fbb608618547414ca4e629f.jpg

Now we know where Weisinger came up with that odd factoid. Did he have any original ideas? Who edited this pulp

Mort was the editor.

He also edited Startling Stories and Captain Future.

I didn't realize that he was editing that early!

He was just repeating himself in 1960. How 'bout that.

I wonder where the idea started and if it has any foundation in fact.

Jack

(I got it bad)

2765822649_07e34979d3_o.jpg

I love the stories in the early Planet Comics. :applause:

Here's a couple of pages I found online that are from The Red Comet's origin story. They're typical of what was in those issues.

"The Underground City of the Spidermen"

redcomet1.jpg

redcomet2.jpg

Planet Comics #1