• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here's a short-lived title that Moondog might like to collect (if he doesn't already).

Six issues were published by Gernsback Publications (1934-35).

piratestories193411.jpg

V1#1

Thanks BangZoom! I do have one issue (red cover unsure of issue number) of Pirate Stories in my collection.

You gotta love those covers!

Another one down!

dicktracy2.jpg

Congratulations, Bill. :applause:

I'm impressed that you're finding all these copies in dust jackets.

Are the Whitman books novelizations of stories that first appeared as comic strips or are they original stories?

I was noticing that some Fiction House characters changed their costumes fairly often. Gernsback would not have allowed that. An early Camilla costume gave me a chuckly (from Goldenagecomics.uk).

bb

2803652944_88588587a3_o.jpg

Another one down!

dicktracy2.jpg

Are the Whitman books novelizations of stories that first appeared as comic strips or are they original stories?

Bill,

I don't have both copies of Richard Tracy (unfortunately we aren't allowed to type ). Blondie also had a book and and Ginger. I don't know if you showed this copy of Gene. There were four separate stories for Gene and Roy, only three for Red Ryder. My copy of Gasoline Alley's Skeezix came with a Christmas card at no extra charge. I have a few extra copies of both Capt Midnight and the Blue Streak in another box which is probably at the bottom of my closet.

bb

2802984433_78387db043_o.jpg

2802984337_559d887081_b.jpg

2803831430_a5454f5639_b.jpg

Since I was in the "C" box looking for Comic Cavalcade 12 and I mentioned Capt. Midnight before, I thought I would provide a few scans. I also have a nifty decoder badge in case you want to send any secret messages.

bb

2803257567_9d3a9095bc_o.jpg

2803257433_a37378bc3d_o.jpg

2288276021_a824dd634b_o.jpg

I also have some Crack comics in the "C" box. The covers were not so great but the Lou Fine stories were terrific and the rest of the art was pretty good at least.

bb

P.S. The exhibit at the Jewish Museum in NYC had a page by Lou from Crack 17. It was even more impressive as the original art. I copied a few scans (from Goldenagecomics.UK) of the interior art from other issues as examples.

2803257111_16e1732f14_o.jpg

Who ever owned the book before me liked to stamp and date his books. Has anyone found these type markings on other books?

2803326323_1e0e954701_o.jpg

2803256957_03d42d332a_o.jpg

superworld1.jpg

BZ,

The Martians look pretty good. They were featured on the cover of Superworld 1.

200_4_1.jpg

An even earlier version of the Martians is from the cover of Science and Invention (August 1924).

ScienceAndInvention192408.jpg

Great pages from SUPERWORLD BZ!!

Paul's famous Martian really made the rounds... He/it appeared on a few back covers as well.

I was lucky enough to pick up the SCI and INV issue pictured above... its a really nice, subtly colored and weird cover!

Another one down!

dicktracy2.jpg

Bill,

I don't have both copies of Richard Tracy (unfortunately we aren't allowed to type ). Blondie also had a book and and Ginger. I don't know if you showed this copy of Gene. There were four separate stories for Gene and Roy, only three for Red Ryder. My copy of Gasoline Alley's Skeezix came with a Christmas card at no extra charge. I have a few extra copies of both Capt Midnight and the Blue Streak in another box which is probably at the bottom of my closet.

bb

2802984433_78387db043_o.jpg

2802984337_559d887081_b.jpg

2803831430_a5454f5639_b.jpg

I have the Blondie on its way to me.

I don't have the others you show currently, but am seeking them.

Another one down!

dicktracy2.jpg

Not really sure about that. Since I don't have all the source material to compare against.

Anyone else bought the new Noel Sickles book with his complete run on Scorchy Smith?

61kwoyDE8vL._SS500_.jpg

It is hands down the best book of the year so far (worship)

It's oversized (about twice as big as the Tracy reprints and larger than the Terry & Annie reprint books) and it contains about 150 pages of illos and bio info on Sickles and THEN 200 pages of the strip reprint. This book is under-priced when you get it from Amazon for example for only $ 31.49. Today I also received the Marvel Masterworks - Marvel Mystery Vol. 3 and the EC Archives Tales from the Crypt Vol. 3 which were both more expensive and look puny next to the Sickles book. Just an amazing package and I encourage everyone to check it out if it makes it to your local bookstore. (thumbs u

BZ,

Sorry you didn't like the circus Spirit issue. I enjoy most of the Spirits that I have found. I sold half of my collection to Dave Reynolds but I still have the earlier issues which were in better condition. By the way, has anyone heard much about the new Spirit movie? Casting? Eisner's work was featured at the Jewish Museum a few years ago and the tabloid size issues made an excellant display along with the original art.

2808024221_20314cd6d1_b.jpg2808828736_6f9c3a068e_b.jpg

By the way, has anyone heard much about the new Spirit movie? Casting?

There are both a trailer and a teaser IIRC available online. It's not a ahem ... conventional view of the Spirit (and I say that to be kind).

Check them out at your own risk ... Here

I always enjoyed Will Ely's art in the early DC comics. This is the first example of his artwork that I've seen outside of comics. :applause:

Did he do interior illos, too?

Unfortunately, unlike the others, the R_over Boys books do not have interior illos. :(

64847.jpg

Neat books, Scrooge. :applause:

Are you collecting the entire series?

The covers of some of the books remind me of the covers of 1940's Dell paperbacks. Compare the cover illustration of "The Swamp Wizard" to the covers to "The Man who Murdered Goliath" and "Beyond the Dark." The style is very similar.

Is the cover artist of the Whitman books credited? Are there any interior illos?

dell.jpg