• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen #5 (Rare "Marvel Ad" copy)

72 posts in this topic

Giving BJs for grades! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Errr..........that would be you Mr Chin Nuts. How the hell did your POS books get 9.8s? That off-center ASM 101? What a freaking joke!

Blow me...wait...what do you have to offer? confused-smiley-013.gif

how the can this book be rare if their are already 23 graded copies from CGC? confused-smiley-013.gif what a crock of gobe!henker.gif

The 23 graded books are about 12% of what's left of the print run. It's estimated that only 200 copies survived the recall. After the books were shipped to England, the "Marvel" ad was noticed and a recall was issued to all the books distributed in the UK. It never came out in the US. If you don't believe it's rare -- try to find one!

If you do manage to track one down, it'll cost you at least 2 bills.

I traded 8 copies of Origin #1 for my copy (which is also CGC'd) at the height of the Origin madness. I was very happy with the deal. cloud9.gif

Actually -- there ya go. There's a forum member selling a copy on the Marketplace as we speak. He wants a minimum bid of $165 for his "VF/NM" copy. That's a good deal (even if it's not CGC'd). This is the kind of book that I love to collect -- one that you may never see again!

how the can this book be rare if their are already 23 graded copies from CGC? confused-smiley-013.gif what a crock of gobe!henker.gif

The 23 graded books are about 12% of what's left of the print run. It's estimated that only 200 copies survived the recall. After the books were shipped to England, the "Marvel" ad was noticed and a recall was issued to all the books distributed in the UK. It never came out in the US. If you don't believe it's rare -- try to find one!

If you do manage to track one down, it'll cost you at least 2 bills.

I traded 8 copies of Origin #1 for my copy (which is also CGC'd) at the height of the Origin madness. I was very happy with the deal. cloud9.gif

and the recalled it because the ad Said Marvel..

I dont get it

Kinda stupid.

The fake Victorian ad showed a --- uhhh -- female hygiene product called Marvel.

I guess DC thought it wasn't a good idea using the name of their top competitor

in such a gag...

Get it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah yeah..

I cant imagine someone payign a premium for something that trite!

Actually -- there ya go. There's a forum member selling a copy on the Marketplace as we speak. He wants a minimum bid of $165 for his "VF/NM" copy. That's a good deal (even if it's not CGC'd). This is the kind of book that I love to collect -- one that you may never see again!

Hey there mate... you on commission?!!

Yep, that's my comic I'm selling - and as I said on the EBAY listing, VF/NM ain't really doing it justice.... it's almost like a new comic off a tradestand, but I know how some collectors want it untocuhed/unbreathed on by a human, so I was being cautious!!!

; )

Steve.

UK

Juust to prove that luck DOES come into collecting:

I got lucky with this one, just picked it up at random sometime in last coupla years (trying to get the whole set through lots of trader places).

One day I thought,"hmmm.. wonder what the new ad looks like" and I was stunned to see it was the original one! Still can't believe it, so I've taken it out and checked it twice to be sure. Hence the NM!!!!

Like Willy Wonka's golden ticket eh!!

'lucky' Steve.

UK

Relax,.... Collect what you like.

But do you honestly think you will never see this book again?

I think you are really overstating things here.

(PS What did I misspell, I'll fix it for ya)