• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dad&Son's Comic Con report

53 posts in this topic

I skipped the show for several reasons.

1. No cash

2. Mike's last few shows sucked hard

3. Didn't feel like driving into the city again

4. Doubt I would have found what I was looking for anyway.

5. I don't like Mike and pretty much get sick every time I pay admission or had a table in the last few years.

Oh yeah no one ever brings very much bronze or gold age stuff I am looking for or decent romance. If there is no pre #100 V1 Wonder Woman I won't buy much

I skipped the show for several reasons.

1. No cash

2. Mike's last few shows sucked hard

3. Didn't feel like driving into the city again

4. Doubt I would have found what I was looking for anyway.

5. I don't like Mike and pretty much get sick every time I pay admission or had a table in the last few years.

Oh yeah no one ever brings very much bronze or gold age stuff I am looking for or decent romance. If there is no pre #100 V1 Wonder Woman I won't buy much

So Aaron, are you saying you don't like Mike... You missed a good show.. they were selling " I don't like Mike " T-shirts at one booth. tongue.gif

YEah well if he had actually put on good shows the last few times I might have gone. He always has the shows in dumpy basement in locations. That drove me from having tables and his empty promises also drove me away. His last show in the fall was awful and I went as just a customer. When a comic convention only has four sellers you know it is time to stop going.

Alright.. it seems everyone and their dog is making threads about going to cons. So here's my little contribution. Went to the Winnipeg Comic Con with the usual lowered expectations. Run in a hotel basement that felt like I was in Hades devil.gif frickin' hot in the place.. classy establishment with a strip joint connected to it 27_laughing.gif

First, I just want to say I meet Lazyboy from the forums and he was a geniune kool kat.. nice guy all round and great to chat with. thumbsup2.gif We ended up hanging out at the same booth where there was some decent stuff. I did see one chick dressed as Supergirl but didn't know if she was a fangirl at the con or just the entertainment from next door on a break confused.gif

Quickly scanned the floor for hi grade horror, or at least with nice eye appeal. Being Winnipeg, there was none makepoint.gif So I decided to change gears for today only and look for books with my favourite Bronze age artist, Neal Adams and a few 12 cent DC books with great eye appeal. Here's my booty I walked away with ...

(scans)

So overall, better then the last show... but by no means like the stuff you guys did at the Wondercon... ahhhh.. but there will be San Diego cloud9.gif

Yeah, there are only a couple of show dealers who are any good for higher grade Bronze and earlier and there was certainly a lack of horror. Luckily that's not a problem for me. shy.gif

I was able to pick up a bunch of stuff I wanted, including some stuff I haven't been able to find elsewhere (yeah, I could probably get them online, but I'm talking about getting them for "my" price... and these were even below that yay.gif). I also picked up a bunch of screwy.gif underpriced stuff. cloud9.gif Most of the stuff I bought was priced at Guide, then discounted 50%.

By the time (the other) Paul arrived, I had been around most of the room and was almost done buying. As I approached the booth he was looking through, I was pretty sure I recognized him from the pictures he has posted. I realized I was right as I heard him talking to the dealer (Bob), so I introduced myself. It was fun talking to him and he's a nice guy. He picked out some nice stuff, too. The scans are pretty good, but some of them just don't do justice to the actual books.

Definitely much better than the last show, both overall and certainly from my buying perspective. Kind of funny, since the last show was the 2-day Manitoba Comic Con (which I walked out of after less than 3 hours of the first day) and this was the Winnipeg Comic and Toy Show. It was pretty warm in there, though. Of course, that was nothing that couldn't be fixed by stepping outside and having a nice cool shower. yeahok.gif Stupid Winnipeg weather. 27_laughing.gif

Run in a hotel basement that felt like I was in Hades devil.gif frickin' hot in the place.. classy establishment with a strip joint connected to it 27_laughing.gif

Note to self: Attend more comic conventions in Winnipeg... grin.gif

Great report, Paul, and even greater pickups! Those WW are classics! thumbsup2.gif

Run in a hotel basement that felt like I was in Hades devil.gif frickin' hot in the place.. classy establishment with a strip joint connected to it 27_laughing.gif

Great report, Paul, and even greater pickups! Those WW are classics! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Steve thumbsup2.gif you going to San Diego this year 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks Steve thumbsup2.gif you going to San Diego this year 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I doubt it.... but ya never know! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

On the plus side (sorta), my biz trip to South Africa in August got cancelled so it looks like I'll be at ChicagoCon after all! acclaim.gif

headbang.gif

On the plus side (sorta), my biz trip to South Africa in August got cancelled so it looks like I'll be at ChicagoCon after all! acclaim.gif

headbang.gif

foreheadslap.gif I cancelled Chicago to go to San Diego... you can always pop up to Winnipeg with the Convention halls attached to strip joints.. you can always get the ballet, buffet and books all rolled into one headbang.gif

headbang.gif

foreheadslap.gif I cancelled Chicago to go to San Diego... you can always pop up to Winnipeg with the Convention halls attached to strip joints.. you can always get the ballet, buffet and books all rolled into one headbang.gif

Why would you cancel Chicago if im going to be there acclaim.gifacclaim.gif