• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Comic Artwork. High School Talent?

1 post in this topic

Okay, I'm not going out on a limb here but this is something that's been in the back of my mind and I have to talk about it.

Early GA covers, most notably from 1938-1940 and particularly issue 1's seem to have been done in a rough and unprofessional manner. For example, looking at comics like Action Comics 1 or Wonder Comics 1, I can't help but think that this is the type of drawling talent I'd expect from a middle school or high school student today. Which isn't to say that many of these earlier artist weren't probably the age, of what would be today, young high school students.

Along that same line of thinking, it also occurred to me that many of the earlier style of artwork could easy be attributed to daily newspaper comics. That is to say that the style of Action 1 could of easily been newspaper comic strip friendly (which goes along with the idea that Jerry and Joe meant for this to be a comic strip in the first place).

This all changed in late 1940 when the comic book took off into it's own and a more professional 'style' was adopted (at least to my untrained eye). So individual's like Schomburg could of been the Neal Adams of his day simple for drawling his covers with pesky things like perspective, detail and shadowing more so then anything else.

Like I said, probably well known facts to those in the know. wink.gif