• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these books really that Mis-Cut?

52 posts in this topic

I am interested in a few books that this person is selling. While I don't doubt the seller, there are so many of these books that are terribly mis-cut that I started to wonder if these are covers from the Publisher Files that have been married to another book. In general these books are very high-grade but look how bad they are mis-cut.

Book #1

Book #2

Book #3

Book #4

Book #5

There are probably ten more books just like these.

Any help would be appreciated, before I buy a few and then get a "Married Cover" Qualification.

I've been watching this guys auction and was wondering the same thing...I asked around and have not been able to get any info on these...

I did notice, however that mamanook (Geppi) had won some of his books so there seem to be some big players watching these auctions..

I seem to recall about a year ago someone mentioning something like Eastern Press marrying like new covers to like new books to make a HG specimen but I can't seem to find that info either... crazy.gif

I woefully passed on these auctions just because of the miscut that you mention and the somewhat vague info that I remember reading here on the boards... confused-smiley-013.gif

STAY AWAY!! I bought 2 months ago, and they came back from CGC with married covers, and I'm still waiting for my refund. Interesting that he doesn't mention the possibility of married covers anywhere in his description. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sigh...I told you those books had married covers in a previous thread! But...you didn't believe me! tongue.gif

I'm going to say away from these also.

I asked the seller about refunds yesterday, and he said OK.

Then I asked him in a separate email about all the mis-cut books.

Got No Reply.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To be fair to the seller, he did refund my money, and he just emailed me and said the books up for bid (as far as he knows) are from a different collection than the ones he had listed months ago. Until the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who Neg'd him today, he had perfect feedback with no negatives.

I won't buy from him personally again just because of the lack of communication, but it seems like he's a reputable seller.

to my knowledge, Eastern Color only printed the covers. And shipped them to Sparta where they were converted with the newsprint pages. It is themn lik ely that Eastern Color would have "file" copies (samples) of their color printing in their files or billing records...but NO completed comics! WHY would Sparta send them copies for their "files"??? Why would one vendor of the publishers supply a different vendor with samples of work (a finished comic book) that wasnt theirs?? And why would Eastern ever want them for their files if they already have their work th euncut covers??

Good questions. Seems like the "Married Cover" designation is a stretch, and even if they were "married", who cares? You'd think they would have gotten a blue label by CGC, since in reality, all comics have covers "married" to the interior pages.

I think we had a discussion like this a month ago. Technically thats must be correct. BUt, since all the printing and assembly tok place at the time of manufacture and under the auspices of DC/Marvel etc on THEIR dime by THEIR hired vendors, only that first manufacturing process counts IMO as "original. Any later construction or marriage of spare parts constitutes retsoration, or some level of foul play.

Even if Sparta found spare insides and covers lying around weeks afer the books had shipped, and finished off another hundred copies or so, unless these were shipped to DC for sale, these would IMO be married copies as well.

to my knowledge, Eastern Color only printed the covers. And shipped them to Sparta where they were converted with the newsprint pages. It is themn lik ely that Eastern Color would have "file" copies (samples) of their color printing in their files or billing records...but NO completed comics! WHY would Sparta send them copies for their "files"??? Why would one vendor of the publishers supply a different vendor with samples of work (a finished comic book) that wasnt theirs?? And why would Eastern ever want them for their files if they already have their work th euncut covers??

Why do you think Eastern Color only printed the covers? You think that it was efficient to have covers printed in Waterbury, CT and shipped to Sparta, IL on a weekly basis? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STAY AWAY!! I bought 2 months ago, and they came back from CGC with married covers, and I'm still waiting for my refund. Interesting that he doesn't mention the possibility of married covers anywhere in his description.

To be fair to the seller, he did refund my money, and he just emailed me and said the books up for bid (as far as he knows) are from a different collection than the ones he had listed months ago. Until the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who Neg'd him today, he had perfect feedback with no negatives.

I won't buy from him personally again just because of the lack of communication, but it seems like he's a reputable seller.

I believe since greggy quoted you, your deleted post has not totally gone away.

I understand that the person gave you a refund, after a long period of time and that's good for you.

One problem I always have with the eBay feedback systems is a that the victim gets the same punishment as the culprit (i.e. They both Neg each other).

Maybe these books aren't married covers, but as I said in my original post, it was very interested that he was selling so many mis-cut books. Should a married cover get a Qualified grade from CGC, I don't know? But at this time, they do and the books value drops in half (or more).

I'm going to stay away from these until more information is available, even though they are some great books at "VERY REASONABLE" prices.

You picked the books that I thought were the best (and least mis-cut). I was going to bid on them, but will wait to see if they really are married covers.

Also, did you notice in all his listings, he even says Eastern Printing Company File Copies in his logo.

Does anyone actually know if any of these books are not married covers by CGC standards?

These books are gorgeous high grade books and are beautiful to look at... cloud9.gif

That being said I find the staples to be somewhat of a giveaway that these are perhaps "married" books... Behold..the back of the Mystic #6 for example...

I will defer bidding to everyone else as my philosophy of "when in doubt...go without"...takes precedance here... confused-smiley-013.gif

These books are gorgeous high grade books and are beautiful to look at... cloud9.gif

That being said I find the staples to be somewhat of a giveaway that these are perhaps "married" books... Behold..the back of the Mystic #6 for example...

I will defer bidding to everyone else as my philosophy of "when in doubt...go without"...takes precedance here... confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif