• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS - Western MO SA Books For The Week of March 24-31, 2007

15 posts in this topic

Grades and prices as noted. Any questions just ask. $5 shipping USPS Priority Mail for domestic, $8 for Canada/Mexico, $10 all other countries. Combined shipping available. Paypal is accepted, checks are fine also.

Additional scans available upon request. Grading is subjective so returns are always accepted, no questions asked, so long as I am notified within 3 days, the book is sent back within 7 days and it is returned in the same condition. Buyer assumes return postage.

First takeit.gif "takes it".

Journey Into Mystery #81 (June 1962). I love these pre-hero issues!!! Obvious wear along right side, spine has similar sporadic wear, staples secure to book, 1/4" lower left spine split, rear cover missing 3/4" x 1/4" piece lower right corner, shadowing interior covers (and lightly on back), G/VG, $15

1716222-JIM81.jpg

Journey Into Mystery #84 (Sept 1962), 2nd app. Thor. Nice solid lower graded copy (perfect for a placement hold until better copy comes along!). Book presents better than it is as due to dark cover colors. Top staple almost separated from book, slight interior cover shadowing, tears visible along cover edges, scan basically says it all, VG, $265

1716230-JIM84.jpg

Journey Into Mystery #86 (Nov 1962). 1st full app. Odin. I always liked this cover! Would be a beautiful mid-grade copy except for full length cover crease (visible through Thor's hammer), slight interior cover shadowing, VG, $95

1716240-JIM86.jpg

Tales of Suspense #59 (Nov 1964), another of my favorite SA covers! Iron Man & Captain America double features begin, 1st SA Captain America solo story, intro Avenger's butler Jarvis. A very sharp, beautiful copy. Some slight creasing along edges and spine, but otherwise perfect for someone who wants higher than a mid-grade copy but doesn't want to spend a fortune for a really HG version!!! F/VF, $185

1716342-TOS59.jpg

Superboy #83 (Sept 1960), Origin/1st app. Krytonite Kid, top staple close to separating from front cover, already separated from back cover leaving 1/2" tear, slight interior cover shadowing, otherwise scan reveals other defects, presents better than grade, VG, $17

1716358-Superboy83.jpg

Superman #140 (Oct 1960), 1st Blue kryptonite & Bizarro Supergirl, origin Bizarro Jr #1, nice mid-grade copy of a 47 year old early SA book, creasing and tears evident along right side, same on back cover, slight interior cover shadowing, VG+, $52

1716375-Superman140.jpg

Superman #148 (Oct 1961), solid mid-grade copy, slight interior cover shadowing, very small (less than 1/4") triangle tear starting on back cover, other than the usual crease wear that should be evident in the scan, it is what it is! VG+/F-, $40

1716805-Superman148.jpg

Superman #152 (Apr 1962), for you Legion fans don't wait to get this one, the 15th app. of the Legion of Superheros (oooooo, is there any other superhero entity where OS kept such track! 27_laughing.gif)!!! Another fine example of a mid-grade early SA book. slightly less than 1/2" lower spine split, staples are still attached but slowly starting to separate (you can see that "sinking" in look), back cover has almost a full length crease diagonal across the book, very slight interior cover shadowing, otherwise the normal wear and tear of time shows up in the scan, VG+ (some might say F-, but I will be conservative), $22

SIDENOTE: the last story in the book indicates a clue used by Superman to foil the badguy's plot. It was that reputedly clockmakers would set their display clocks at 8:20 pm to signify when President Lincoln was shot. Where they got that tidbit I do not know b/c Lincoln was shot two hours later than that!!! I guess the badguys should have won back in 1962!! 893whatthe.gif

1716898-Superman152.jpg

Superman #154 (July 1962), nice cover colors on this 45 year old book, some yellow bleeding apparently (presumably through manufacturing process) visible under Superman's arm, 1/2" upper left spine split, 1st interior page has 4 1/2" lower right corner crease, slight interior cover shadowing, otherwise scan shows all, F-, $25

1716919-Superman154.jpg

These next two books hold fond childhood memories for me. I absolutely loved these squarebound 80 pg GIANTS!!!! It was likely these books, in fact, that hooked me on GA stories. 893applaud-thumb.gif

HG copies of these are difficult to find and are often above guide.

Superman #183 (Jan 1966), I didn't take any time to identify the specific issues reprinted in this book (other than the obvious Mr. Mxyzptlk story), but I am not sure why back then DC believed there was less than 100 copies of the book on the left, or that the one on the right was $30 or more (possibly, but the 1st OS Guide from 1970/71 doesn't appear to bear it out but who knows what was going on back), this is a beautiful copy, some wear along the spine but still fully intact, some obvious creases/wear along book's edges but still sharp, frim 3/4" tear on back cover that extends into last page but totally tight due to binding, slight interior cover (and back cover) outline shadowing, F+ (but looks better, some dealers could say VF-), $40

1716925-Superman183.jpg

Superman #187 (June 1966), simply gorgeous copy, tight all around, colors are fantastic, slight shadowing interior covers, minor creasing here and there, PQ is at least OW/W (perhaps better), DC also reprinted the covers of the classic stories contained in this issue, VF, $60

1716926-Superman187.jpg

Superman #192 (Jan 1967), this is simply a beautiful, flat, tight copy. Were it not for the creasing/wear along the lower side of the right cover and tiny (less than 1/4") chip out of the back cover, it would be a super HG book, alas it is now a fantastic and affordable "presents better" copy for someone's collection, VF-, $40

1716970-Superman192.jpg