• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somewhat OT but mostly on topic: about restoration

26 posts in this topic

Zipper: Once I get a new scanner I would be happy to send it. The reason I think it isn't a preprint is because the ink has a very small break in it, but then again, I have seen preprints do that before, but usually on a photo, and not the nice parchment it is written on. Then again, an autopen wouldn't surprise me either, as this wasn't requested, we just received it a few weeks after he passed.

FFB: Thanks, I guess I didn't look hard enough.

Also trimming seems fairly prominent for amateur restorationists, but most collector seem to look at it as something as bad as brittle pages or something. Is this something I shouldn't even bother learning? Except to detect of course.

You should learn to detect it, but it should not be part of your repertoire if you are going to restore books. The only thing you should be trimming from books is excess Japan paper when you are sealing edge tears or infilling near an edge.

Awesome, thanks for all the info, found out the Art Institute of Portland offers some classes on conservation etc. guess it will be books for learning the rest of it though, "Comic book restoration 101" doesn't seem to be offered 27_laughing.gif.

Awesome, thanks for all the info, found out the Art Institute of Portland offers some classes on conservation etc. guess it will be books for learning the rest of it though, "Comic book restoration 101" doesn't seem to be offered 27_laughing.gif.

Really? That's great! 893applaud-thumb.gif Most people can't find ANY local classes.

Don't worry too much about finding conservation classes that are specifically for comic books, because you're not going to find them. Besides, it is far more important that you learn the basic techniques applicable to paper artifacts in general (including the chemistry underlying paper and inks) so that you don't ruin the books you're working on. You will probably find those conservation classes very worthwhile. thumbsup2.gif

I hope so, might take a painting class as well. (or ask my mom next time she has some time off, she's quite a good painter and has an eye for matching color) will probably start with some simple color touch, then move to a spine split, will save any cleaning/bleaching/piece adding until the first classes are finished.

You should learn structural repair (tear seals and infilling of areas of loss) and cleaning techniques before you focus on color touch. Just my opinion.

I guess I should, but I kinda of like the idea of jumping in and getting some hands on experience to make sure it is going to be as fun as I hope it is. but I do have a tutorial on fixing tears around here somewhere. yeahok.gif, will give it a shot on a random modern beater in the next few days.