• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRAILS GAME

2,819 posts in this topic

Do I really have to explain, if that is right.....

From Wiki:

Lobo starred in Dell Comics' little-known but groundbreaking, two-issue series Lobo (Dec. 1965 & Sept. 1966), also listed as Dell Comics #12-438-512 and #12-439-610 in the company's quirky numbering system. Co-Created by writer D. J. Arneson and artist Tony Tallarico, it chronicled the Old West adventures of a wealthy, unnamed African-American gunslinger called "Lobo" by the first issue's antagonists. On the foreheads of vanquished criminals, Lobo would leave the calling card of a gold coin imprinted with the images of a wolf and the letter "L".

Tallarico in a 2006 interview said that he and Dell writer D.J. Arneson co-created the character based on an idea and a plot by Tallarico, with Arneson scripted it.

“ I had an idea for Lobo. And I approached D.J. Arneson and he brought it in and showed it to [Dell editor-in-chief] Helen Meyer. ... She loved it. She really wanted to do it. Great, so we did it. We did the first issue. And in comics, you start the second issue as they're printing the first one, due to time limitations. ... All of the sudden, they stopped the wagon. They stopped production on the issue. They discovered that as they were sending out bundles of comics out to the distributors [that] they were being returned unopened. And I couldn't figure out why/ So they sniffed around, scouted around and discovered [that many sellers]] were opposed to Lobo, who was the first black Western hero. That was the end of the book. It sold nothing. They printed 200,000; that was the going print-rate. They sold, oh, 10-15 thousand.[1] ”

[edit] Awards

On May 19, 2006, Temple University College of Arts and Sciences presented Tallarico its Pioneer Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Comics and Books Industries, in recognition of his creating the first comic book to star an African-American.

Please walk us through how you found the answers :popcorn:

What would we do without Wiki . . . :shy: Found most of the references there.

This next game is harder still. You may need more than Wikipedia or a :sumo: to win.

X-Men 417 [remember that book from the first game?] is noteworthy for being more than just the beginning of the "Dominant Species" storyline. And Gwen [remember her from the second game?] was around for some time before Spidey 121. If you trace these two threads, you will find they intersect [hint: the month continues our holiday theme].

What is the name of the artist whose ground-breaking work in comics this month earned him a lifetime achievement award?

reads like he just won the award, not back in 2005 or '94 or whenever

Tony Tallarico,

Correct. Put a gold coin on this game's forehead, it's over.

And thank you for the explanation. [score another one for Wikipedia.]

In addition to being an illustrator for Vampirella [ :hi: Grails], Tony broke ground in comics in December 1965 [the month of Gwen's first appearance] by creating the first comic to feature an African-American hero.

LoboWestern1.jpg

Like many pioneering efforts, it wasn't appreciated at the time.

can we all agree that "Maximus Lobo" is one of the stupider names ever given to a comic character? i mean, seriously. Not even 12 year olds would think that's a cool name

Tony Tallarico,

Correct. Put a gold coin on this game's forehead, it's over.

And thank you for the explanation. [score another one for Wikipedia.]

In addition to being an illustrator for Vampirella [ :hi: Grails], Tony broke ground in comics in December 1965 [the month of Gwen's first appearance] bycreating the first comic to feature an African-American hero.

LoboWestern1.jpg

Like many pioneering efforts, it wasn't appreciated at the time.

The clue you gave MacMan gave it away. Thanks. :banana:

The clue you gave MacMan gave it away. Thanks. :banana:
I came across this with the Dell hint but breezed by it. I thought I had the month nailed at the time, ignoring that Gwen Stacy was in Dec. but rather focusing on the werewolf and the year, Oct. 1965.

I was struck by that cover caption: "Branded for life! An honest man . . . blamed for a crime he did not commit!"

Remind you of any other ground-breaking black heroes??? hm

luke-cage.jpg

If you study the history of African-American heroes in comics, you will find that Marvel broke ground in a number of ways. The Black Panther appeared in 1966 and the Falcon was co-headlining Captain America in 1969.

Two games. One just kicked off in my test thread again. Or you can stay here and tell me the complete title and issue for this cover as well as the name of the robot. He goes by two names so eithor one will do. Solve it and SGT ROCK is yours.

nice_try.jpg