• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase New England/Dan Greenhalgh answers questions

438 posts in this topic

How can you dispute a full refund?

SNE's grading and return policies seem similar to comic-keys policies. If you discover something wrong, he offers a full refund too. insane.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif Either way, you'd better check your purchases very closely when you receive them.

Under this broad stroke of your paint brush,,,,every large collectibles company in the U.S, regardless of their respective discipline....has this policy.

As posted previously....problem books represent less than 1% (more like a hundredth of 1%)of our total sales.

Additionally... we refund CGC fees when a book that we sold has a material defect, or material difference in grade...to my knowledge...we are one of the few companies with the competence and ability to offer these assurances AND GUARANTEES.

When a book we sold has a material defect....our policy extends back for years...as has been demonstrated and acknowledged by others on this thread.

Also, when a book has a missing page....the collector usually ends up getting it free.

Finally....our no questions asked policy on returns includes CGC books in addition to anything we sell.....we are one of the few companies that offers this guarantee.

In my opinion...these are not characteristics you would find in any company trying to do the right thing....all of the time.

So it begs the question....what else would you have me do to stand behind my company???.....I know I would certainly be interested....as well as many other collectors and dealers.

If you still believe we have a lousy return policy...and that we don't stand behind everything we sell, without exception, despite all evidence to the contrary...than I can't help you.

For some reason....all of this has been posted a few times in different versions. My positions and our policies have not only gone unrefuted in this thread, they have been substantiated on several occasions

I have said it before....some people will never be satisfied...no matter what you do. Correct me if I am wrong...but you seem to want to take this position of just not wanting to be satisified...and yet I don't recall your ever having posted any direct experiences you may have had with us.

Despite your comments and broad generalizations...I will continue to take the high road.

How can you dispute a full refund?

SNE's grading and return policies seem similar to comic-keys policies. If you discover something wrong, he offers a full refund too. insane.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif Either way, you'd better check your purchases very closely when you receive them.

Under this broad stroke of your paint brush,,,,every large collectibles comapany in the U.S, regardless of their respective discipline....has this policy.

As posted previously....problem books represent less than 1% (more like a hundredth of 1%)of our total sales.

Additionally... we refund CGC fees when a book that we sold has a material defect, or material difference in grade...to my knowledge...we are one of the few companies with the competence and ability to do offer these assurances AND GUARANTEES.

When a book we sold has a material defect....our policy extends back for years...as has been demonstrated and acknowledged by others on this thread.

Also, when a book has a missing page....the collector usually ends up getting it free.

Finally....our no questions asked policy on returns includes CGC books in addition to anything we sell.....we are one of the few companies that offers this guarantee.

In my opinion...these are not characteristics you would find in any company trying to do the right thing....all of the time.

If you still believe we have a lousy return policy...and that we don't stand behind everything we sell, without exception, despite all evidence to the contrary...than I can't help you.

For some reason....all of this has been posted a few times in different versions. My positions and our policies have not only gone unrefuted in this thread, they have been substantiated on several occasions

I have said it before....some people will never be satisfied...no matter what you do. Correct me if I am wrong...but you seem to want to take this position of just not wanting to be satisified...and yet I don't recall your ever having posted any direct experiences you may have had with us.

Despite your comments and broad generalizations...I will continue to take the high road.

Dan, I have bought from you, and although you accepted my comments as totally positive, they really weren't, you are a great saleperson and you spun them in your direction ...I was trying to be nice, I always try to be nice, if possible, however...there was a reason I stopped buying. You seemed to ignore that...I have accepted the fact that you now state your grading is better, but you said that to me years ago, in an email, and yet the books continued to be missing pages, so I'm not sure how the grading can be "improved" since you clearly state you don't look at the insides of the books .

You and I have never had an argument, however, when I bought a GL#1 from you (Golden Age) that was graded as "good" and found not only was it brittle, but each page was taped on EACH edge, both sides...I was a wreck...because of the horrid feedback you left for people, I just wasn't sure what was going to happen...and my good friend who graded with you at Sotheybys, told me to be very careful, that you might get angry if I tried to return it, that you had a famous temper....You did take it back, and all I lost was the postage including all the extra insurance (it was not a cheap book, at least for me). The reason I accepted a partial refund again, on the Adventure 103, was because of the postage, and because I knew you would not be unhappy, there was less risk taking what you offered...I understand that you have a business model, I understand you say that you provide refunds...but if you are going to post feedback only after someone else does(and many people do, that's not the issue) ...and leave angry feedback...in some cases (which is my issue), it just makes people uneasy....and I'm not the only one, I'm sure, who has felt that way...each time, I had to think about whether the risk was worth it...and I DID buy from you over several years...It just seems that the whole thing, the whole model is meant to discourage returns...and fine, that's your method...well, people who don't like it can just not bid...I understand...By the way, you resold the book you sold me more than once...and didn't mention the tape either time, that disappointed me...I really expected more of you, given our conversations. I looked at lots of your auctions, there were many times I was tempted...but I kept thinking...do I want to risk having to count the pages, find things are missing and then have to call you? I've been lucky SO far, but... I also realize, lots of people don't count the pages on lower grade books, and the page counts are so varied with GA, that many don't know what they should be...so..again, your business model works for you...

I'm just reading this thread...and thinking...why?

So, my question is...are you going to be different with your feedback? I know you said you would think about offering shipping on returns...but can you change that part of your business where you use the feedback to go for people's jugular's when they complain? For someone like me, that's a big issue, I collect comics to relax and for fun, not to be stressed... I know you probably don't care if I never buy another book, I"m not a big fish...but I was a very loyal customer, I used to mark every one of your auctions and if I didn't win...well, I sure enough made someone else pay more for the ones I wanted...(shrug)

Dan , a bit of advice. I would suggest not bothering to reply to newly created id's that feel the need to name themselves after a male body part and use a flamethrower as their avatar.

Their intentions are obvious.

I admit at first I questioned your motives for coming here,and told you so privately. But as this thread unfolded I saw you did not run away when things heated up. That was refreshing, whether or not I liked your answers was irrelevant. You at least made yourself available for questions and should not have to put up with shills trolling your thread.

Welcome to the boards Dan!

And ON Topic

I bought several lots from SNE, all of them semi HG lots and among them a full run of Eternals that was complete and better then advertised. But I also knew to ask questions before I bid, and if I was not happy with the answer.. or lack of answer.. I did not bid.

In the end I think this thread illustrates it is sometimes hard for small time collectors to see things the way a big time dealer does. And visa versa.

Hopefully a lesson can be taken away from this thread, by both sides.

Kenny

RE Skypinkblu

I remember that you seemed to have more than your fair share of missing pages ...but given the opportuniy....I always tried to work it out.

I don't recall that we ever had a stormy converstaion...rather...I think our conversations were always polite and respectful....as they are and should be with pretty much all of our customers.

I can't comment on the collector friend whom we both had in common, about my potentially getting mad because I wasn't a party to the conversation....but it turns out that I didn't get mad (what purpose would that serve anyways?).

I have already addressed the issue of feedback in length in a previous post. The bottom line is that we will treat customers fairly, and respectfully, if we are in turn treated the same way.

I believe negative feedback is never warranted when a company offers full, unconditional guarantees....and offers them promptly and without question in a friendly, professional way. Not everyone agrees with this...but that is how I feel.

As to reselling the G.L 1....I rarely agree with the grading opinions of collectors when a book is returned (I sometimes do)....so your right....I have no doubt that you saw the book again for sale. There are occasions when collectors do send back books asking me for a second opinion....and I sometimes agree with them. However, I don't consider this a weakness as I like to think I have sufficient maturity to recognize where I have been wrong...and admit it.

As I said in prior posts....our company is not for everyone....while most people are satisfied with our interpretation of grading defintions, and our service, we can't satisfy everyone. This is true for all collectors and dealers regardless of the colletibles discipline practiced.

Finally...I think we will adopt a policy of paying for returns in those cases where we have misgraded an item in a material way...along with a couple of other ideas that have been put forth on this thread.

RE: Ze-man

Thank you for your encouragement and positive comments....

I have occasionally read some of the threads in the past...and they have been, well, just outright viscious....

But I think truth is always a defense....right or wrong.

So I'm ok with the comments.

Again...thanks

Dan,

a more 'light hearted' question for you as long time established dealer......CGC was biggest the change to the hobby within the past decade ( I would say undisbutably)...what do you forsee or predict as the next BIG change for the hobby, and when do you think it will happen? ( and thanks for addressing my prior questions and concerns )

Steve

Steve....I wish I had the answer.....I really don't know what the next "big change" will be.

But there are some long term trends in place that seem to ring true year in and year out.

My comments are in terms of investment potential and returns, and exclude the ultra high grade CGC books from the past 25 years.

I think fewer collectors will enter the hobby....this has many, broad implications...and not very good for most genres and titles.

I think there will be a time when high grade, early silver age marvels are more expensive than all Golden age books, with very few exceptions (like the Mile High Action 1, for example). I thought this 10 years ago.....and I remember people thinking then that I was goofy......but here we are ten years later and, well, we are basically there.

I think a large part of the reason for this is because of the Marvel movies....and CGC to some extent.

Interestingly enough...the DC movies have not seemed to have this same effect on their comic titles.

I think the overall trend for all, relatively common, general, golden age material (like Superman 5 through 60 and Batman 2 through 60)...except the really high grade, relatively high demand stuff....will be flat to down over the long run. By down, I mean as compared to the rate of inflation in the U.S. For example...if a Superman 10 in F increase 2% one year....and the rate of inflation is 4%...then net/net the book is down.

I thing the prognosis for non superhero, golden age books is not very good....mainly just down. The guide won't go up very much on these books....but inflation and the weakening dollar will make owning these books a poor investment.

From my comments above....you can infer that I think high grade marvels...especially Spidys, are the best long term investments in high grades (and I do believe this).

Additionally...I think that selected, 70's Bronze Age Marvels will continue to do well.

Further...I think the trend on high grade DC Superheroes from the early to late 50's is up....mainly because the demand to scarcity index is out of whack for these books. There aren't that many DC's from this period making the grade...and there are several collectors out there looking for these books. I think this will continue to be true as there will always be collectors for nice copies of Batmans and Supermans from this period of time.

There are a lot of microtrends occurring as well...but I think these are some of the major trends that seem to be in place.

As to reselling the G.L 1....I rarely agree with the grading opinions of collectors when a book is returned (I sometimes do)....so your right....I have no doubt that you saw the book again for sale. There are occasions when collectors do send back books asking me for a second opinion....and I sometimes agree with them. However, I don't consider this a weakness as I like to think I have sufficient maturity to recognize where I have been wrong...and admit it.

Dan,

this isn't the first time you reply about that GL # 1 and this isn't also the first time that you insist on ignoring the obvious. Yes, you don't have to agree about your customer's grading opinion; grading will vary across collectors and always will. Yet, the presence of tape on every page isn't a matter of opinion. It's a fact and it's a fact that was pointed out to you in this return situation and it's a fact that you purposedly decided to ignore continually when you re-solicited that book for sale. We've got to assume in that case that the omission was intentional and that's what we find reprehensible because deceitful. (N.B.: I take for given that the other poster's words are true).

Dan,

this isn't the first time you reply about that GL # 1 and this isn't also the first time that you insist on ignoring the obvious. Yes, you don't have to agree about your customer's grading opinion; grading will vary across collectors and always will. Yet, the presence of tape on every page isn't a matter of opinion. It's a fact and it's a fact that was pointed out to you in this return situation and it's a fact that you purposedly decided to ignore continually when you re-solicited that book for sale. We've got to assume in that case that the omission was intentional and that's what we find reprehensible because deceitful. (N.B.: I take for given that the other poster's words are true).

I think I am going to take out my agree sign and wave it all around. Missing tape on every edge of a key book like this and leaving it out in the description is OBVIOUSLY left out for a reason. Hmm, wonder why? yeahok.gif

I could see a few pieces holding some pages together but when it is this blatant I would have to fear that it is left out for a reason. I have had my pocket change and bought just about everything from the page count to the missed resto but this is a pretty *spoon* one.

All in all, I like the fact that SNE is on the boards but so far all I have read is a bunch of remembering better days and elitist banter back and forth about these "boy those were the days" *spoon* and "gee your such a good dealer I think about you every night when I touch myself"

I certainly am not above any of this. I have f'ed up a few times and taken beating after beating after beating but I still am here selling and buying and posting. If I wasn't posting here in the first place but was taking all those beatings and showed up some would say hey you rock, and others would say hey you suck. I would hope that the you sucks, would overshadow in importance and drown the hey you rocks.

I would be more concerned with those with problems because while you can always say, "Always good to me" when it turns into "Was always good to me" then the people on these boards who have told of their ill fate collectively and quickly murmur a "tried to tell you, told you so"

RE Scrooge

Comicsupply

:

Perhaps.....

I don't recall the book....but under Overstreet guidelines....tape on all of the pages did not mean that a book could not be described as good.

Good was defined, essentially, as a complete book.

Frankly.....I would disclose an issue of tape on a key golden age book today..regardless of grade....

But if it was, as you say, so glaringly obvious, than it is safe to say that anyone getting that book would know it in a heart beat.

I have made many mistakes, and will continue to make mistakes....that is, as they say, the nature of the beast.

Given time...I think any dealer can be chastised, flogged and burned at the stake for their errors. I am not an exception.

In the feedback forum.....there are 13 I told you so's (most of them very silly) and 30,000 plus that would disagree.....you decide.

I don't recall the book....but under Overstreet guidelines....tape on all of the pages did not mean that a book could not be described as good.

Good was defined, essentially, as a complete book.

Frankly.....I would disclose an issue of tape on a key golden age book today..regardless of grade....

But if it was, as you say, so glaringly obvious, than it is safe to say that anyone getting that book would know it in a heart beat.

Dan,

you're correct on both counts of course:

1) tape is allowed in the grade listed for the book, but come on ... on a GL # 1, you wouldn't take the time to add in the description it's got tape several places on the inside. Forget about technicality here and as I'm glad you did admit, that, today, you would at least make a mention of it.

2) yes, the buyer would notice it and then you find yourself in a potential return situation because the buyer hates tape. From a business perspective, I don't imagine that that particular customer will rush back to your other auctions. You're putting the inconvenience of your lack of details on a customer and might lose future cash flow. Now, I know that there is rarely such a thing as dealer loyalty in this hobby as collectors flock to the dealer that has the books he / she needs ... still, why jeopardize a relationship on a technicality.

Anyway, if what you say is true, this would not happen today ...

hi dan

ben teoh here from perth, western australia

i would just like to go on record here and say i have bought from and sold to Dan since 1993 and have always found his grading to be accurate, his service excellent and on a very few occasions on returns there have been no problems.

the only "gripe" i have is with the Golden State books- i had called to reserve a bunch of FF's in the 50-80 number range , (including all the surfer issues) but a certain number of the East Coast Posse (NY/NJ collectors) had driven to dans just b4 xmas and bought the books which had meant to have been held for me (and had been paid for by CC).

This may not have dan's fault personally as one of his employees may have let this slip.

Out of probably 50 transactions with Dan this was the only one that wasnt resolved but on the WHOLE i would go on record to say Dan is a stand up guy.

dan , do u still own the two 911's??!!

what Dan did for collector J green speaks volumes about the stand up guy he is- what other dealer would do that in that situation?

i clearly remember some of the cgc board members having a good time saying they were going to put in "punishment bids" on jgreen- i wonder if those members are still here?

what Dan did for collector J green speaks volumes about the stand up guy he is- what other dealer would do that in that situation?

i clearly remember some of the cgc board members having a good time saying they were going to put in "punishment bids" on jgreen- i wonder if those members are still here?

What did Dan do for J green? I remember some now banned poster placing all sorts of punishment bids,driving the prices crazy,but never heard the part of the story you are referring to.

Ok Ok

Now I am going to comment on what is happening in this Thread.

What I am reading is Mr. Dan G of SNE "facing the music".

Also reading concise and explicit examples of the few errors we all humans make and Dan G. is still standing tall.

I have had about 120 transactions over the last 7 years or so with SNE, only ONE of which there was that one-time refund that Dan G. did not even question. I am VERY HAPPY with Dan G's 99.99% success rates and let me tell you all for those who do NOT know me I can be a harsh high-grade critic. There are more than a few Dealers who get the Spartan Shield defenses up when I bid their comics. 6 of the 7 negs I have are retaliation because those Sellers sold me junk( they advertise NM or VF and is more like VG - you all know the deal on eBay) and that is the price I paid to let the eBay world know how they were to me. I could NEVER give SNE a negative feedback because I have that much faith AND PAST EXPERIENCES with Dan G. never to worry about doing business with SNE.

Bottom line folks, is that SNE has made available tens of thousands of nice comic books for the public in their business model. Mistakes have been made. EVERY major business, be it Morton Thiolkol w/ the O-rings of the Challenger disaster, the spill in the laboratory that led to the discovery of rubber, USPS delivering to wrong address, or a comic book dealer forgetting to count pages, mistakes WILL happen.

Trying not to get too far ahead of myself here, I consider SNE to be that Major business in the comics retail hobby. I think they are in the top ten for sure in auctions listed on eBay. I see them give estimates on the grades of their books, and they have an outstanding feedback. Remember, they deal with THOUSANDS of transactions per year. Out of those THOUSANDS, of course something is going to go wrong. Find me a business that runs prefect and I will go out tomorrow and start it - I promise! Find me a business that is "easy" and I will start that one too!

I have defended SNE many times in the past and see no reason to change that loyalty. Oh yes I used that word LOYALTY. It is good when Customers are LOYAL. I know I like it when one of my Customers are LOYAL to me. If I forget to ship something, or make a similar mistake, the good LOYAL Customers just contact me and I of course, like most dealers, make it right. They don't get the pitchforks out and troll and defame all over the Internet like we all see almost on a weekly basis. Just go to the opening page of CGC Comics General and I guarantee that there is a Thread( or Two) blasting a dealer. Sure, each is a case-by-case basis in themselves, but the comics hobby seems to be overloaded( dominated or so it seems) with one-way people - when things go their one way( great for them) all is good. When something goes wrong, they go ballistic. Now add the tendency of folks ramming SNE harshly because of their volume and kinds of books they market. If an eBay seller with a 15 feedback misses a centerwrap in IMSM they will hear about it, but I doubt a Thread would get started about it. A year later no one would even remember it except the Seller. Let SNE miss a centerfold in IMSM or any comic and not only does SNE get bad Internet press, at least one person is going to remember that and use that mistake against SNE it seems like forever.

Higher standards are being held to SNE??? Perhaps. But they continue to deliver. I still bid their auctions if I see something I like. Will continue to do so.

Still remaining LOYAL.

CAL sign-rantpost.gif

i think thats unfortunately some of the "lynch mob"/hater mentality on these boards

and some of the victims are Dan G/SNE and chuck rozanski

I also stood up for Chuckie too - there was this ugly incident when Chuck R refused to fill an order. Sounded harsh at first, the Goliath-like MH refusing a comic fan's orders until it was "smoked out" that this supposed comic "fan" defamed Chuck R all over the place, and then got his panties scrunched up when Chuck R stood up for himself and essentially told this person to take his money elsewhere. I did not save that Thread but wished I did.

I ranted back in 2002 on this very board about certain posters and their antics, but it took a while but things are better now probably than at anytime I can recall.

CAL hi.gif

My turn to chime in I suppose...

Dan, I won a couple of lots from you a couple of years ago and was pleased with each purchase. I was however quite astonished when I recieved the "Peacemaker" set that I had won that was graded at "Avg. VF". Upon recieveing the books I was pleased to see that your grading was off in my favor and that of each of the books, that were sealed in mylar, were at least a 9.0 in grade.

My question for you is: Who does your grading? It's obvious that there can be grading fluctuations that are way off kilter to the auction descriptions so it seems to me that grading chores are handled by more than one person.

Thanks, Rick