• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Buyers Guide list of Rarest Comic Books

25 posts in this topic

Wasn't it something like:

1. Amazing Spider-Man #33

2. Journey Into Mystery #124

3. Thor #156

4. Sub-Mariner #1

5. Captain Marvel #1

6. Nick Fury #1

7. Iron Man #1

8. Hulk #102

9. Captain America #101

10. Rawhide Kid #50 in 9.8

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't recall that CBG listing, but CBM #11 has a cover article on 50 Rarest GA comics by Duncan McAlpine. Similiar article also appeared in the UK Comic Bk Pr Guide 1997-98. Lists Marvel Mystery b/w "annual" 1943-44 as #20 of 50 with 9 estimated to exist.

Danger Trail #3 (1950) ranked #23 with 10 estimated. Capt America b/w did not even make the top 50 list.

MarvelMystBw.jpg

This is slightly 893offtopic1.gif but I wondered who on the board uses the prices in CBG to price their books. I bought the 2003 CBG annual today to use as a reference for some off the wall stuff not listed in Overstreet like undergrounds and anime books etc. I noticied some serious differences in book prices. Also does anyone use Comic Values Annual 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is slightly 893offtopic1.gif but I wondered who on the board uses the prices in CBG to price their books. I bought the 2003 CBG annual today to use as a reference for some off the wall stuff not listed in Overstreet like undergrounds and anime books etc. I noticied some serious differences in book prices. Also does anyone use Comic Values Annual 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused.gif

Now Greggy, use your words like a big boy. I know you can do it... grin.gif

OK...no, I don't use it! tongue.gif

I use the Comics Values Annual fairly often, only because it breaks down each issue. So I can use it as a checklist or just verify the issue date. I don't use the values, only because it OS still is the standard. Although If OS doesn't list the issues your looking for then I guess alternative sources for pricing needs to found.

OK...no, I don't use it! tongue.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif See that wasn't so hard tongue.gif

I use the Comics Values Annual fairly often, only because it breaks down each issue. So I can use it as a checklist or just verify the issue date. I don't use the values, only because it OS still is the standard. Although If OS doesn't list the issues your looking for then I guess alternative sources for pricing needs to found.

I had some time to kill in Newport today so stopped in the Barnes and Noble and looked at both annuals. The CBG Annual also has a checklist and lists all the underground books and anime titles like Golddigger which are not in Overstreet but still quite good sellers at nice prices. I found it to be way underpriced on a lot of issues I would be willing to pay their NM price for VF copies on some bronze books. I picked up the Comic Values but noticied most everything is listed in NM price no breakdown. confused.gif

Wasn't it something like:

1. Amazing Spider-Man #33

2. Journey Into Mystery #124

3. Thor #156

4. Sub-Mariner #1

5. Captain Marvel #1

6. Nick Fury #1

7. Iron Man #1

8. Hulk #102

9. Captain America #101

10. Rawhide Kid #50 in 9.8

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

borg,

thanks for the great post, 893applaud-thumb.gif i remember duncan mcalpine back from 1990, he came to a comic convention as a dealer. i got a lot of nice early spidey's from him for a very reasonable price. anybody got any 411 on the dude? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thanks in advance,

pimpy

This is the kind of information that should be in the new Overstreet monthly updates!!!!!!

believe it or not, but duncan mcalpine use to provide market reports in the old OS updates. but you are correct, OS updates need this information and market reports for the fan and spec!mad.gif

Haven't heard much of Duncan in recent years, so not sure if he's still part of Comicana , however, John Skoulides (his business partner) still visits most major US shows, like SD for last 2 years.

For those unfamiliar with Duncan McAlpine, he is the UK version of Bob Overstreet with regards to Price Guide Publications & was primarily responsible for bringing ultra high grade comic collections to the forefront of the British collecting community.

http://www.comicana.com/about.asp?mscssid=4VVK7T2641HK8LFCTAND6R9R5Q5H5N18&

Great list!893applaud-thumb.gif It would be fun to sit down and update this with more current numbers. For starters, I can think of at least 3 unique books that have been found since this was publised. Not to mention various other books that have turned out to be extremely hard to pin down that aren't on the list.