• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comixpress Mouse Guard

27 posts in this topic

I just got this back last week from CGC. I keep checking the census report to see when they update it because it hasn't shown up on there yet, when I called them they said they update every few weeks or so. According to the census report now that would make this the highest graded one out there. It is the original Comixpress B&W edition that David Petersen printed before ASP picked it up. I have posted on a couple of message boards just to find out for my own little morbid curiousity but have no intentions of selling this one, any idea what the value of this is?

144678-001.jpg

That is an awesome book! Congrats 893applaud-thumb.gif

I can see the 9.6 (highest graded) copy going for $500+ easily.

There were only a few hundred of them printed, and there is a sequel on the way!

Great book headbang.gif

You know, I found 1st prints of #1 and 2 at Half-price last week, but they were beat. One had a bunch of creases on the spine, and the other looked like someone had used it for practicing on their voodoo doll. I decided not to buy them because they weren't "in-grade", even for half of cover, but I choose to think that a real collector will be thrilled to find them.

Your book I think will be highly sought-after. Mouse Guard can become one of those evergreen children's books when a collected edition comes out, and there will be a void in that area after the last Potter book comes out, though they aren't directly related to each other. But I'd look at what the 1st editions of TMNT go for as a guide.

Welcome Maren. I used to live in Marietta. Off Austell near the Cobb Hospital.

There were a few CGC 9.8 first printings on Comic Link the other day. Might still be there.

I have seen the 9.8's on the census but there are two editions. ASP printed the full run of 6 issues in the mini series but David Petersen printed a black & white version of issue #1 first. On the CGC census both versions are listed. They list David Petersen's original edition as "no publisher listed", I am not sure why since it was printed by comixpress. So far, counting my 9.6, there are four graded of this edition. I would love to have the full 6 issue run printed by ASP graded. Currently I have issue 3 and 5 as a 9.8. I have a set of 1-6 first prints bagged and boarded and a full set of various printings so I can read them. I may be a freak but I think David Petersen did a fantastic job with this series.

I may be a freak but I think David Petersen did a fantastic job with this series.

Your no freak, he did magnificently with his book. It captured something that hasn't been seen in a comic book for a very long time. The art, the story, even the format of the comic book, all came together with such strong and immediately clear synergy.

My fiance' asked me why I wouldn't sell this book if I could get so much money for it. She said she admits she just doesn't get it when it comes to a comic being worth so much but people holding on to them. I just really love this series and was beside myself to know that of David Petersen's original B&W versions I have the highest currently graded of them. It's my own little treasure, if you will. Random House also aqcuired the rights to print the softcover as one book. I wonder what kind of exposure that will bring to it as well!

My fiance' asked me why I wouldn't sell this book if I could get so much money for it. She said she admits she just doesn't get it when it comes to a comic being worth so much but people holding on to them. I just really love this series and was beside myself to know that of David Petersen's original B&W versions I have the highest currently graded of them. It's my own little treasure, if you will. Random House also aqcuired the rights to print the softcover as one book. I wonder what kind of exposure that will bring to it as well!

27_laughing.gif Your first mistake was telling a woman the value of a relatively pricey comic book. If she isn't one of the few that already collects, it's not going to end well.

In the future, remember this - "Every book in my collection is worth cover price or less." Problem solved.

Something even rarer than the Mouse Guard black and white issue: a David Petersen Spider-Man painting.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=35077

I picked this up a while back. It's really nice. I've tried my best to get David to draw a Mouse Guard commission for me, but he's only doing convention sketches right now.

Mike B.

That wall looks great, man! Never thought of arranging CGC books like that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks Solar!

I got a bunch of those little shelves fairly cheap from Michael's Arts and Crafts. They don't stick out very far, and have a ridge on the edge to keep things from falling/sliding off, so I thought they would be perfect for displaying some comics thumbsup2.gif

Couple of questions. Whats the significance in the print run between the black and white interior and the non-black and white interior copies. Is the black and whit considered the first print?