• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what would this SHOWCASE #4 CGC 9.6 sell for?

112 posts in this topic

I would be shocked to see an AF 15 9.6 hit $500k.

Not just you. It would set the entire hobby on fire and invite all sorts of attention from the "outside world." But I believe that if Eric Roberts put that book up for sale in a well-advertised, easily accessible venue, you'd get people like Leonardo DiCaprio, John Dolmayan, and other well-heeled people taking notice, and the bidding would outstrip anything you've ever seen before. There may be other 9.4s out there, but this copy is the best existing copy of the most popular back-issue character there is, and perhaps the biggest "media" superhero going these days.

Totally agree... thumbsup2.gif for all the points mentioned....nice and to the point and you didn't attack anyone.. 893applaud-thumb.giftongue.gif

I totally disagree. If that book went up for auction, I think it is very likely that it would end up in the hands of a longtime collector, one of the "usual suspects". I think the spectre of well-heeled celebrity buyers swooping in to buy the gems of the hobby is largely a chimera. The money is out there; if these people really wanted the best of the best, why haven't they just gone out and bought them? Why is the overwhelming majority of the best comics and OA pieces still in the hands of long-time, dedicated collectors? I suspect it's because the interest just isn't there. Guys like DiCaprio, Lucas, Spielberg, etc. may have a nominal interest in collecting comics, but relative to everything else that's going on in their lives, I'm sure it's practically a non-factor.

In this case, with Mr. Roberts being the hypothetical seller and out of the equation, the buyer would likely come from the limited pool of remaining high roller obsessive collectors and, as such, I think the book would end up fetching far less than $500K. I'd guess mid-to-high $300Ks at most, and quite possibly less.

All JMHO. confused-smiley-013.gif

Im curious because im involved in this question im going to ask.Do you think a 9.6 AF15 tops out my copy of Action comics # 1 [iN 6.5] in dollars or any denomination?
With no disrepect to your amazing book sir.. I think a Spidey freak with money would outpay a Superman lover on that basis.

Yep..But freak for freak what would you say?
It would be a close call for points you brought up about popularity.. IMO I would pay more for Action #1 hands down. I think the fact that it is 23 years older carries a lot of weight to it and a 6.5 copy is outstanding, hence why I feel there are no copies in 9.4 or above. Plus the fact that there is a copy of AF #15 on eBay every week versus the rarity of a top quality Action #1. You would certainly pay for many generations of your family to live comfortably if you sold it. thumbsup2.gif

its a good comparison. At least from your perspective. Basically, its a comparison between the best copt (right now) of th ehottest character, v s a great unrestored copy of the alltime best known superhero. AF15 is far more plentiful than Action1 overall and especially in HG. So a HG Action 1 is far more valuable than any AF15. But, is YOUR copy worth moe at this time?

Hard to say, really because no Action 1 has sold lately for what they are "worth". But with a VG and a G selling for 100K and 100K, your 6.5 appears to be able to sell at Heritage maybe for 300 - 350. (and of course I know YOU value it at more like 500K right?) And the AF15s have sold in the 100s, but the sole 9.6 seems to be "worth twice the highest 9.4 sale (125, 150 and maybe a bit more recently)

But none of these prices are more than guesses, really. Because eric aint selling; and neither are you, right> And none of the OTHER better Action1s will be for sale any time soon either... so the guessing game will just have to remain just that = = pure speculation.

but fun!

Eric has his cake and is eatin it too!

He has a 9.6 AF15 and a 6.5 Action 1

thats right! and makes it easy.. lets ask HIM which he thinks is more valuable! I think he'llsay the AF15 cause its more unique and because Im sure he has a Jones for the better Action 1s out there hell never get his hands on!

Even with all his Billions? Thats right, I said Billions !
Alright.. who the hell is Eric .. I was thinking Eric Roberts the krappy actor.. but he wouldn't have billions.. unless sis' doled out the money for bro to go to comic camp foreheadslap.gif

Doubtful, as Julia Roberts and her brother Eric Roberts the actor are famously estranged.

You are correct Amano.You could not pull the book from me for 350k or for 600k because I realize that 6.5 is as good as its gonna get in my lifetime.Do you realize how much more money I would have to pay for just a .5 jump up in grade to 7.0? Ill bet you 200k. The days of the upgrade are gone,even for a slight bump with this book.