• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible group of CGC Gold, Silver, Bronze listed - Many more to come

47 posts in this topic

And still over 100k was paid for an X-men #1 even though two copies rated higher.

not exactly so. The 9.6 became the second 9.8 via a resub.

and oh no you di-int compare MGA80 to XMen#1...???

Doom Patrol movie?? was you being serious?

Im truly pessimistic about the future values of Doom Patrol. Sorry guys. Ya know, I love the Charlton superheroes (Peacemaker!, Judomaster!!) but I sure dont expect anyone else to care. And Ill bet teh census on those issues is anemic compare to 3 9.5s and a few pedigree runs in 9.4+.

So while I am sure the demand for DP is far far greater for DP than for those losers, IMO in the grand scheme of things? I think its just YOU guys who' pat yeal $$$ for Doom Patrol copies!

So that is where the other X-Men #1 9.8 came from...

As far as the Doom Patrol vs the X-Men, you are right, the X-Men has a better track record. BUT that is because talent and time were put into the series. I was buying X-Men and Doom Patrol off the stands during the '60's and when X--Men hit their long drought (bad art, lack of good stories) I stopped buying that title as it had become terrible. My friend kept buying, even during their reprint mode as he was a completest but he too recalls how bad the series had become. Marvel came through with new artists and a breath of fresh air during the mid '70's, otherwise the X-Men would have folded for a while (like the Doom Patrol). The rest is history but creativity can change any series.

Movies reah out to people who would never even consider reading a comic book and if the movie is good, collectors will follow into our hobby. The concept of the Doom Patrol is a fantastic one but it never did reach it's potential, as DC was famous for too much campiness during the '60's.

I often wonder what Marvel would have done with this series.....

Thankfully DC has changed and is a force to be reconed with. So let's see how the movie does.

is there really a movie in the works?

I also got bored with XMen by issue 20 or so. And never really like DP either. Neither of them lasted too long. It was the XMen reboot that thrives today. Back in 1961, neither Stan Jack or Carmine would EVER consider a guy with knives coming out of his knuckles to be a good guy, or even a VILLAIN for that matter. But he saved the XMen, if not comics as a whole.

Back in 1961, neither Stan Jack or Carmine would EVER consider a guy with knives coming out of his knuckles to be a good guy, or even a VILLAIN for that matter. But he saved the XMen, if not comics as a whole.

No, it was Chris Claremont, Dave Cockrum and John Byrne that saved the X-Men. They also saved Wolverine. I think the "reboot" would've done okay even if Wolverine hadn't been featured.

Even if there really is a DP movie, I wouldn't have high hopes for it. I can only see it coming out as a very campy effort, unless the writers and director tried to play them up as a straight serious superhero team, which wouldn't be the DP.

Marvel came through with new artists and a breath of fresh air during the mid '70's, otherwise the X-Men would have folded for a while (like the Doom Patrol). The rest is history but creativity can change any series.

This is true. Grant Morrison's brief run on Doom Patrol in the late 80s (or was it early 90s?) energized the title and got people interested in the back issues for a while, just like his run on Animal Man drove prices up on Animal Man's (until then obscure) appearances in Strange Adventures. And Morrison wasn't even someone who appealed to mainstream audiences.

That's all well and good.. but I'm sure it dosent compare to my MASS MGA #80. smirk.gif

Maybe I should send it over to be slabbed... nahh!

In all seriousness, how would you grade your Mass copy?

I would grade the #80 at a 9.6 or 9.7.

The rest of the MASS MGA/DP run is really outstanding. The later issues (including #121) are practically pristine - 9.8 or 9.9, no kiddin!

Bill

Thanks! What in the world was it about MGA and DP that caused it to be preserved so well in so many different collections? The Western Penn, PC and Mass runs all seem to be particularly pristine. The Curator run probably is too, I just don't know of any copies other than the #80. If they all got slabbed, it might be the only SA DC title that average 9.6.

thats easy! they were bought by completists who never bothered to READ the books (or even open them) cause they were so far out of the Superman/Batman nexus. I also used to buy everything, and when all was said and done and I looked back years later, I had really nice runs of the lesser titles I bought but never read.

Im making two points here: one, completists often end up with pristine unread copies. and 2) the Doom Patrol always qualified as a marginal title...except to its few ardent fans of course!