• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

review: Umax Powerlook 1000 Legal-Size Scanner a winner

52 posts in this topic

tongue.gif Well here's a rare, top census SA DC...

confused.gif

It takes a moment to load and post the image from the attachment 893frustrated.gif

Nah...just wondering why you would actually own that book. That does it, my negotiation tactics for my sweet DCs will be more like the Hulk 141 than the others "junky" Marvels! insane.gif

Nooo... 893frustrated.gif

I upload them to the forum using the attachment option.

Then I edit the post, copy and paste the forum uploaded link inbetween... scan... then it appears in the post. I'm not hosting the images myself. I'm using forum space.

The upload "file size" is not consistant even thought it states...

You may attach a file if you like (no bigger than 150000 bytes please).

normally i can attach a 12" image at 72 dpi saved as a quality 5 jpg. Last night I was able to post a 100 dpi 13" image quality 5 jpg. which was larger. When I tried again with the exact same specs/method... it would not allow it saying the file size is too big. I had to reduce the image to 72dpi and 12".

The bytes never seem to match up either.

Maybe I should ask Arch for advice

Thanks a lot for the raw 100dpi. Still is a beutiful image - blows my HP 3500C away (but even the 3500C does great on 3d so the CGC label is nicely rendered.)

I must consider this scanner not so much for the slab scanning (only have a few slabbed books) but just for the beauty of the results. I am also going to be selling a number of 11x14 lobby cards soon and this would be a nicer way to go I think.

PS - how is the scanner software as far as controls and - more importantly - DEFAULTS go? Can you setup the resolution, color density, sharpness etc and save as a derfault so you don't hve to keep re-inputting?

Sure... the Magicscan software has more controls and options than my old Silverfast scanning software. You can adjust and save the default and have contol over all the that you mention and more.

It is a scanner marketed to desktop publishing professionals. Obviously there are better scanners for that purpose, but this one doesn't suck a little bit.

it may fall short on the lobby cards though 11x 14 won't fit.

Its true 2400 x 2400, but max's at 9600

24/42 bit

I assume you can go to the Umax site and print out the complete specs.

It's twain, but as I understand they set up custom versions of scanner software for each scanner. I asked the Umax guy if i could run the 4000U software on PL1000 and he said no. It was inferior software anyway, but I was curious.

Yeah - that is what I was thinking too! Ahh well!

I thought you were uploading it to the forum, but when you said the GI Combat was a 3MB file and it uploaded, I thought you must be talking about somewhere else since, as you mention, the size limit here is around 150K. This also didn't make sense since when I look at the size of the GI Combat showing up here, I see that it's 149K and not 3MB, so I thought maybe it used to be 3MB when you first uploaded but then you replaced it later with a smaller file...but I really wasn't sure what the deal with that was.

Images with identical height/width/dpi dimensions can vary in their file size if the number and variability of the colors in the scan are high. JPG uses compression; the fewer the colors and the more identically-colored pixels there are right next to each other in the image, the smaller the file is. The most compressable file is one that is a single color--all white or all black, for instance. The least compressable file would be one where EVERY pixel is a different color.

I think I was looking before I saved it as a jpg... I should have realized.

However, i think the size of the file varies depending on how/where its being stored?

I just checked the file sizes (on my hard drive) of the items I uploaded to the forum:

GI Combat.... 244K 100 dpi 13"???

Hulk 180....... 268K 72 dpi 12"

Hulk 182....... 252K 72 dpi 12"

ST 178a....... 220K 72 dpi 12"

ST 178b....... 268K 72 dpi 12"

...all well in excess of 150K, BUT as you mentioned they show up as different file sizes when you checked? I don't get it.

893frustrated.gifconfused.gif