• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel "Mechanical" Covers on EBAY

32 posts in this topic

They appear to be. However there is no original art on them, they're all photocopies and paste ups to create the covers. There may be a line or two of original art to extend something where the copy didn't reach all the way to the border or something.

I looked at the X-Men Annual cover and wondered if it really had any collectibe value and had to think very little.

Why even bother with a mechanical cover? Usually, you can either find an image on the internet and blow it up and fix it through photoshop. Vioia! You saved $150.

I'm assuming that this will be easier with the tutorials that they are going to give over on the P.H.U.C.T. thread. . . .

$735+ for the J Buscema Avengers 58 cover stat. These used to top out at $50 10 years ago and be hard to sell. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Yeah, but people want an "official" copy. And as prices go up on OA, things like stats (and god help us printing plates) go up in price because people who can't afford the OA want a substitute.

I'd rather save my pennies and get a nice piece of OA ... but that's just me. grin.gif

Yup,..........

production art associated with the OA is defintely appreciating.

I would compare these stamped original stats to the lithograph market of famous artists such as Matise, Picasso, Dali, etc....

In those situations the originals sell for millions and the litho's of such famous artists often sell for several thousands.

Seems the same idea/ phenomena is occuring here too.

When these litho like stats are selling for many thousands of dollars....the OA will be in the MILLIONS.

Geez this hobby is getting exciting!

You could make your own copies for free but it wouldnt be an authentically stamped original production piece on original Marvel stock. THAT is the premium difference for which people are paying the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. You do see the difference, right? Personally, I think this is a VERY Bullish sign for the hobby as the market creation of 'market substitutes' selling for hundreds/ thousands of dollars is a telling harbinger for prices on ORIGINAL ART.

You really have a one track mind.

It is also disturbing that no matter what the time, no matter what the day, you are posting on this board.

Sad.

Yeah, but he's confined to his wheelchair - so leads a sad, lonely, miserable existence. Pretending to be a high-end art collector is his only joy in life . . .

OK guys, brand new seller with a hoard of photostat and mechanical covers. They appear to be the actual covers used for the comics even though many are mostly Stats. Are these the "real" covers? Let the experts go...

Does anyone know if any of the original drawings used to create the stats survived? Or are these mechnical covers all that remain of the artwork from those covers? confused-smiley-013.gif

OK guys, brand new seller with a hoard of photostat and mechanical covers. They appear to be the actual covers used for the comics even though many are mostly Stats. Are these the "real" covers? Let the experts go...

Does anyone know if any of the original drawings used to create the stats survived? Or are these mechnical covers all that remain of the artwork from those covers? confused-smiley-013.gif

The original art to SUB-MARINER # 3 definitely exists. For the printed cover, they reversed the image and edited-out some of the backgrounds. If memory serves me right, Dan Forman may have owned the original art to this at one time?

Well, since a really good cover recreation from a fairly popular artist can run you $300-$500, seeing these production covers go for $500 or so isn't so much of a stretch. Even though they are all or mostly stat, they are the actual cover to that book, and because of that I think they're kind of cool.

I put bids in on four of them but got sniped on all but 1. confused-smiley-013.gif I won the Marvel Adventure 1 cover. I remember buying Marvel Adventure and loving the DD reprints.

Sure, I'd much rather have the OA to this cover, but having the cover actually used to produce the book will be fun. And it'll still look darned good framed and hanging on my office wall! cloud9.gif

I bid $1100 on the Avengers #58 but lost as it went for $1500. I agree with Steve it would have been cool to hang on my wall and some of the Vision was apparently hand drawn on the cover, perhaps by Big John himself, or maybe George Klein? Oh well. I'll keep checking out those garage sales...

Well, since a really good cover recreation from a fairly popular artist can run you $300-$500, seeing these production covers go for $500 or so isn't so much of a stretch. Even though they are all or mostly stat, they are the actual cover to that book, and because of that I think they're kind of cool.

I put bids in on four of them but got sniped on all but 1. confused-smiley-013.gif I won the Marvel Adventure 1 cover. I remember buying Marvel Adventure and loving the DD reprints.

Sure, I'd much rather have the OA to this cover, but having the cover actually used to produce the book will be fun. And it'll still look darned good framed and hanging on my office wall! cloud9.gif

What did the MARVEL TALES (Ditko reprint) cover go for?

I agree that these are worth buying. Definitely more interesting than Mr Printing Plate's offerings that recently swamped the original art section . . .

I think a fair multiple on the OA to these photo-copied mechannicals is 500X - 1000X.

Hence,...for example,....if the Marvel Double Feature # 1 STAT went for $1700,...

the OA should be worth between $850,000 - $1.7 Million at some point.

Granted thats not where we are now,...but these types of ratios are 'in line' with litho's in comparison with the originals for artists such as Matisse, Picasso, Warhol.