• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

questions on storing mags.

bind together or bag and board  

39 members have voted

1. 1. bind together or bag and board

30 posts in this topic

I have a question that I think would be better asked over here than on coin side because what I'm collecting now is closer to comics than coins. I have collected about ten years of COINAGE MAG and about six years of THE NUMISMATIST

I want to find a way to store them to keep them safe but to be able to use them for references. I was thinking about taking them to a bookbinder but I was talking to a person at my local library today and she made me think more and more about bagging them because of the cost and if I decide to sell them in the future the resale value would be higher if they are unbound. Any opions would be a great help. CHRIS

I would bag and board them if you plan on someday selling them. Binding looks nice, but you will probably get less than if they were not.

How much does binding magazines cost anyway?

Chris

I don't know where to get them, but I believe there are binders available that use small, removable metal rods that you place in the center of a mag to hold it into the binder. I have some Warrior magazines that I purchased that way (now they are in bags). They may cause some slight damage to the mags, but that could be an alternative.

Chris

Yeah, I didn't like it either for the reasons you said. The binders themselves were pretty cool though. They were faux leather, dark blue w/ gold embossed letters. They were made exclusively for Warrior magazine storage.

Chris

I have numerous Vampirella, Creepy, and Eerie mags that measure around 8 1/4 x 11 inches. I store them in magazine size bags and boards and keep them in boxes that are made for CGC graded comics. In fact, I got the boxes from CGC. Each box will hold around 75 to 80 mags and you will still be able to get them in and out easily. I would imagine that you could get near 100 in a box if you wanted them to be tight in the box.

This system has worked very well for me.

Hope this helps.

grin.gif

Chris

As a collector of undergrounds, and various other alternative and mainstream titles (Mad, Heavy Metal, etc), I have had to resort to a mixed bag of storage solutions purely to meet volume needs. One is the binded method which I find has particular advantages for storage, and the other is by individually placing the mags in archival quality mylar with acid-free backing boards. Also note that even when using the binder method, mags are also placed in either a polypropelene solution, or mylar.

binder.jpg" width="350" height="104

Binder (5 ringed) with plastic sleeves)

Each mag is individually placed in a plastic sleeve, and each magazine is bagged/mylared with an acid-free backing board

binder1.jpg" width="350" height="246

Binder

Solution

Binder Solution
binder2.jpg" width="350" height="251
binder3.jpg" width="350" height="263
Binder Solution
Binder Solution
binder5.jpg" width="350" height="260
binder4.jpg" width="350" height="227
Binder

Solution

Binder Solution

mylar.jpg" width="350" height="254

binder6.jpg" width="350" height="273
Second solution is to place mags in an archival box. Each mag is individually in mylar with acid free backing board.
Binder

Solution

The mixed solution suits my needs, but may not be for everyone. Besides, soon, some of these babies will find a home in a barex inner well, with a hard plastic casing grin.gif

Most Informative Posts Award goes to Comicwiz...........

Thanks BOC. laugh.gif

BTW: The plastic inner sleeves can be purchased at any Grand & Toy -- not sure if you have those where you live, but any Business Depot/Staples has them. I replaced them every 5 years just to be on the safe side. Binders came from those dingy scholarly days that would have otherwise served as feul for a bonfire outside my english class, which would surely have led to more time wasted in detention... 893blahblah.gif

Hey Lantern

I actually like your suggestion for mags. I found myself using most of my CGC boxes for slabbed comics, but recently purchased two large chests at an antique market a few months back. The chest allow me to place nearly 1400 slabs upright, and it also has a locking mechanism. The chests have allowed me to free up all my CGC boxes, and I've noticed since reading your post that the mags fit nicely.... I like it!!! laugh.gif

oooooh... my wife is signaling to the mound... gotta run.

Very informative post. 5 stars to everyone who participated. 893applaud-thumb.gif